Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 TCM Die update

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

22 TCM Die update

For those of you who may not have received this notice, here is an email I received from AmmoSupply last week:

NEWS ON THE 22 TCM RELOADING DIES!!! We just got off the horn with Hornady and they are saying first week of September for a delivery on the new 3 die sets for your 22 TCM. These were the handiwork of Fred Craig, the designer of the cartridge, and Hornady's custom shop guy, Ben. So keep your eyes peeled folks, they should be in very soon!!!
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Buddy
    are they making barrels for the cz52 yet?
    the dies wont help if i cant shoot it.
    The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you're on fire.

"There are a lot of changes when it gets below -10 below F. in everything from ammo,gun, humidity, uncontrollable shaking and the strong urge to go home. "randyrat

I do have a question for any that read or have experience. I've never loaded bottleneck pistol cartridge. I assume the hornady set will be a normal 3 die, resize/decap, expand, seat/crimp set. I prefer crimping in a separate step. I guess my questions is, what about crimping? Another crimp die that might work? Be nice to get a lee collet style crimp....

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    The Lee FCD in 221 FB can be rather easily modified to crimp the TCM. I used a 218 Bee FCD because it was readily available and, although rather make shift, has worked for me.

The other option is to make a washer from, say, .010 shim stock and put it under the seater die lock nut till all the bullets are seated. Remove the washer and crimp. It is another step whether you use the Lee die or the HOR die. The only real advantage of the FCD is that it is very forgiving in regard to case length.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Bub
    Is there any advantage to using a FCD with a cast boolit?

Quote Originally Posted by huntinmo View Post
    Is there any advantage to using a FCD with a cast boolit?
    Not to confuse. But there are 2 types of lee factory crimp dies. The pistol type has a carbide ring that sizes the completed round to "factory" specs for function. The rifle is a collet that squeezes the case mouth/neck to a desired amount. I'd say 99% of the FCD complaints you hear or read are of the pistol type. Most that I know that use the rifle type find them favorable, myself included. Seems like a natural fit for a bottlenecked pistol cartridge.

Boolit Man

Latest from Ammo Supply "As for the TCM dies, we were told by Hornady that they will be arriving some time in September, which means late September. So please keep your shirts on, and we will let you know the second we have a date on their arrival."

Shirt firmly tucked in anyone working on getting Lee to make some fcd for this?
    "The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Boolit Man

Latest from Ammo Supply "As for the TCM dies, we were told by Hornady that they will be arriving some time in September, which means late September. So please keep your shirts on, and we will let you know the second we have a date on their arrival."

Shirt firmly tucked in anyone working on getting Lee to make some fcd for this?
    "The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Boolit Bub

Sent another post to Becker, at Ammo Supply Warehouse, asking about the TCM dies, again, he sent me back a answer.

Keep your eyes open next week.....

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by nightal View Post
    Sent another post to Becker, at Ammo Supply Warehouse, asking about the TCM dies, again, he sent me back a answer.

Keep your eyes open next week.....
    The dies came in last night on the Ammo Supply website. Ordered a set, looks like there were 250 sets in total

Boolit Bub
    Received my dies from Ammo Supply Warehouse this week. This is the set-up on my Lee Turret Press:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0192.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	84192

The Hornady 3-die set includes a sizer/decapper, neck sizer/mouth flarer, and a bullet seater/crimp die. The neck expander die is a bit "sticky" but not unmanageable. Also had to replace the lock-rings in order to fit them on the turret. Ran into a problem with cases "ejecting" (yes, literally flying off the press) if the case is not centered perfectly, which I suspect will require a more precise shell-holder to fix. The Lee shell-holder is designed for more than one caliber, so it tends to be loose with 9mm sized cases. For powder charging, I bought the LEE SE1253 RIFLE CHARGING DIE DROP TUBE (SE 1253 - about $3) and used it to replace the expander plug in a LEE 45 ACP powder through die. Length of the plugs were not the same, but it worked.

This is a picture of my first reload:

Name:	IMAG0196.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	84193

The one on the left is the reload, using Armscor brass and the 40g bullets from Ammo Supply Warehouse. The one on the right is a factory Armscor cartridge. The dies were able to maintain a pretty consistent OAL of 1.125-1.126". Thus far, I've put together test loads using Hodgdon H110 charge weights of 9.8, 10.1, 10.3, and 10.4 grains (based on what I've seen on other threads). Hope to have a chance to try them out later today - unfortunately I don't have a chronograph to measure fps.

I also have some Longshot, but I don't think I have the guts to try it .

Boolit Buddy
    so who is loading a cast boolit in this? powder coated bator style fit the bill?
    why did lee stop making dies for this? is the hornady sizing die at least carbide? (where as the Lee wasn't?)
    just wondering..
    stay frosty

ADMIN

I have a lyman #225438 at Magma being converted over for my Master Caster right now.

Name:	opplanet-lyman-rifle-bullet-mould-22-caliber-225438-2660438.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	122311

44 grain gas checked.
    I intend to coat it with Hitek.
    I may or may not use a gas check.
    I don't know how many I will cast as I have over 15K of the factory JSP bullets on hand.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by ratboy View Post
    are they making barrels for the cz52 yet?
    the dies wont help if i cant shoot it.
    I have been thinking of selling one or more of my CZ-52's but you sir just gave me reason to keep them.....I like your line of thinking...even if it is a few months old.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    Will these dies work for forming one's own brass?

ADMIN

I have formed brass using the hornady sizing die.
    use lots of case lube
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master

Anyone know where they can get a set of these dies? I'm looking towards getting a 22 tcm, but don't want to if I can't reload for it. So far my google-fu is letting me down on finding available dies. Anyone know of a set available?

I've posed a WTB a few days ago with no luck. Ammosupplywarehouse will supposedly have some coming from Hornady pretty soon. Go there and sign up for email to be notified when they come in. Oh, and BUY the gun. Great gun in my opinion

Another potential for a set of dies is one of the vendors on the new TCM forum. He might have Lee dies coming in before the Hornady dies. We'll see..... I'll cross post once I get a set ordered

Boolit Master
    has anyone seen any barrels for any other guns yet , I think that will really be what makes or breaks the 22tcm , I have been eyeing up the RIA 9mm/22tcm with 17 rounds , does anyone have one of these , are the mags standard 2011 mags , I don't want to get another gun I have a problem finding magazines for

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast