Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: The wife wants to trade this fella that has a Winchester model 131 .22

The wife wants to trade this fella that has a Winchester model 131 .22

The wife want to trade this fella that has a Winchester model 131.
    I have never seen one other than some blurry pics.
    It also has the magazine.
    Are these any good rifles?

Boolit Master

Duke, They are decent rifles the two I have experience with are variations of what your looking at. Mine has a tube magazine through the stock and my brothers is a single shot but the barrels and actions are the same. Both I've shot are accurate I don't have any recent targets to measure groups or anything mine is more accurate than most of the other .22s I've had. I haven't checked the blue book but I believe they sell at reasonably prices. FB

Thanks for your reply FB.

IMO, the value depends on what's being traded for it.

AFAIK, they're bringing around $200, today (in excellent condition).

I bought one in the late 70's (used), and it shot very well, indeed - well above it's econo gun status. ( I had put a 1" tube scope on it)

Since the stock's weren't walnut, I added a Rosewood forend tip & gripcap to mine, when I refinished the stock wood in it's natural blond color.

The result was a striking rifle, with a custom look, for chump change (at the time - $55, IIRC ).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

We brought her home. She needs some TLC though.

Very nice. Congrats.
    Change? Not this type. Can we just have a refund?

Boolit Buddy
    I have the same rifle. Excellent shooter. Not finiky about ammo either. Hang on to the magazine. The mags sell for about $50++ since no other gun used the same magazine.I believe it was the last model of 22 rifle made in North America by Winchester.
    Interestingly, it has controlled round feeding, non-rotating extractors, dual front locking lugs. It was known by some as the "mini model 70".

Thanks for all the info guys. Here she is being put back into service. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Winchester+131

Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace View Post
    I have the same rifle. Excellent shooter. Not finiky about ammo either. Hang on to the magazine. The mags sell for about $50++ since no other gun used the same magazine.I believe it was the last model of 22 rifle made in North America by Winchester.
    Interestingly, it has controlled round feeding, non-rotating extractors, dual front locking lugs. It was known by some as the "mini model 70".
    Thanks Rick We have 3 mags. 2 are unused.

Just now discovering this thread.

Great looking gun with a lot of fun in it's future. I just this past week picked up a 'truck gun'. A Remington 514 single shot. I located a Lyman receiver sight (cost me almost as much as the gun) and had it mounted.

I've considered refinishing the stock, but then again it is what it is. A gun I bought for pure fun and a little squirrl hunting along the way. One thing is for certain. Using a single shot, sure isn't gonna put a dent in my .22 LR very quickly.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Mold
    An old thread I know, but if anyone out there knows what type of scope mount I can use for my pre 1968 131 (no ser #'s) it would be a help. The less expensive the better. I'm going TO TRY and mount a Nikon P223 3x scope I have laying around. It's a 1" tube. I only paid 40$ for it & got 2 mags & it cleaned up surprisingly well. Only use will be defending my garden with CB caps @ 20-50??? feet, if they go that far. I can't find the thread where Duke had pics of his. The trigger guard is on backwards (mine or Dukes IDK, LOL) and the previous owner drew on an "ebony" forend cap with a sharpie pen! NO dings/dents/scratches & it cleaned up real well. Tung oil & some walnut stain darkened up the birch fairly well.
    Last edited by nachogrande; 04-14-2017 at 06:33 PM.