Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I own a 6.5 Sporter bolt now. What to do with it?

Boolit Master

So I own a 6.5 Sporter bolt now. What to do with it?

So a friend has given up on saving up for a 6.5 Grendel AR Barrel and sold me his Model 1 Sales 6.5 Sporter AR bolt for a song.

So before I start saving up for the same barrel, what other calibers for the AR can this bolt be used for? I'm thinking 7.62x39 and 6PPC but I'm a 6.5 addict so that's my first choice but input from others would be helpful. a 7.62x39 AR barrel is much cheaper but I'd like this next AR Upper to be for further shots than 200 yards as I have my 300BLK AR for that target range.

I just bought a pair of new tires for the car today that I wasn't planning on so this is a long term project now so this gives us plenty of time to discuss this for the next couple of months before Christmas.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master

HMMM. As I understand it, the 6.5 Sporter is a 6.5 Grendel under a different name. The
    Grendel has an excellent accuracy reputation, and certainly is ballistically interesting, too.

IIRC, the case head diam of the 6.5 Grendel is the same as Rooskie 7.62x39, so you could look
    at the PPC series of benchrest cartridges, .22 PPC and 6mm PPC are very well regarded in
    accy circles, should fit right in if you can find a barrel and figure out the mag magic to
    get one to feed. LOA for 6mm PPC is 2.100 and the magazines for 5.56 have a max
    length of 2.050, so you will have to shorten the LOA to feed thru mags.

There is a 30PPC, too, which would seem like a 'round Robin Hood's barn way to get to
    7.62x39, kinda-sorta but not really. Minor LOA issues, too.

What do you have in mind? 7.62x39 would seem the easiest.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

wanna wildcat? I believe the 50 beowulf uses the same case head. Using the 50 beo as "basic brass" you sure could 'neck' that up to .510 or down to anything you could possibly want. how about 6.5 beowulf. 6.5 grendel ultra mag.

Though folks are shooting the grendel past 1000 yards, so really do you want or need more than that to fit the build goals?

Boolit Master

I'm committed to the 6.5 Grendel now. Purchased a Bolt Carrier and a Die Set for the Grendel. Will purchase a barrel in a few months and hopefully have another AR Upper setup in this caliber by spring.

and yes, I plan to shoot cast in this AR as well.

Bruce

Boolit Buddy
    If your planning on buying a 6.5 barrel in a couple of months you should have put in an order with a mfg last October. You should check out the 6.5 grendel forum. Lots of info there. As I understand it though the bolts are the hold up. So if you send someone your bolt they might move you ahead while waiting on bolts for other customers.

Boolit Master

Well, if one isn't available when I order it, its just a continued exercise in patience.

Bruce

Boolit Master

Got a 6.5 Grendel bolt . . .

What better reason can one have to build a 6.5 Grendel rifle

Serious target shooting, plink, play, or hunt, it will fulfill them all.

Only AR Grendel I have shot,belonged to our unit commander. He was a serious competitor and built an upper for 600 back.

He found the Grendel no better than 223 with heavy bullets and the Grendel came with more recoil to manage over a match.

Last five shot I shot from it were at silhouette at little over 800 . . .

Sandbag on a table and leaning into it to steady.

Put the dot of the scope on the forehead . . .

5 shots . . .

5 hits.

He asked if I wanted to shoot some more . . .

Why, we couldn't get any farther away on the range in question.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 10-20-2014 at 10:38 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    Bruce, I'd stick with the 6.5 Grendle. It is SAAMI speced so all your chambering reamer, loading dies, and factory chambered barrels should work fine, and all be properly co-ordinated to fit together.

The idea is to have more power than the 223 at long range. I'm not an AR guy, but it sounds good to me. It sounds to me like what you need is a barrel with the appriate barrel extension fitted, chambered to your bolt head, and the gas hole of the correct size drilled. All of that stuff ought to be well worked out years ago. Gas holes can always be made bigger, and they do have adjustable gasblocks.

Good luck. I only work on bolt guns.

Boolit Buddy
    The idea of a .35 Caliber on the 7.62x39 case (ok, .35 caliber on ANY case) has been haunting me for a couple years. There are a few different variations but it just seems like a nice, nominal case capacity for .35 caliber cast bullets to me.

Tough call because, in my own little world, 6.5mm has become something of an ideal diameter for centerfire rifle.

I like the .257s too though and a .257x39 would be very cool.

Nothing wrong with .30s, .22s, 7mms,.... either but if I were building from the ground up, .35, .257 or 6.5 would be the options I would have a hard time choosing between.

Boolit Master

I used to daydream of 6.5X39 as I hurtled down the highways for work.

Seemed the perfect combo.

Now years later I find 6.5 TCU has about the same case capacity.

Not a recommendation, for this build though.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 10-20-2014 at 10:39 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Issue with the 6.5 TCU in an AR-based rifle is that you have to seat the boolit very deep to fit the magazine length limits. With the 6.5 Grendel, you have the shorter case-length to allow you to seat the boolit just off the lands for better accuracy potential.

And yes, if I was building a bolt rifle with a .223 Rem bolt face, I would barrel it for 6.5TCU to take advantage of all the 5.56 brass I have here at the house.

Bruce

For cast I'd neck up the Grendel case. A U.S. 30 caliber .308 x .300" bore or a 35. With the 35 bore you may or may not have better luck starting with 7.62 x 39mm brass. Those wildcats have all been done before. Grendel chamber has a straighter case wall so they stack in AR mags better than the RUS 30 round. I'd lean towards the 30 caliber for the higher B.C. bullets and because the little case would strain to push the big 245 grain bullets anyway. Plus there's this new MiHec 30-180-HP mould sitting on my shelf. I've also a nice Saeco 150gr flat nose that I'm sure would work great. 1-12" twist barrel. Ballistics would be just short of a 30-30. I shoot the Saeco from mu 94 over a light load of Rx7 for over 2,000 fps. With a BHN #9 alloy. It smashes up and I've never seen a ricochet. not a deer bullet but great out in the field. No long bore ride to worry about chambering in the auto.

I'd say neck it down to 6mm, Which is a standardized round. With a 1;14 twist barrel but with cast a 6mm x 223 will give you enough powder space. Would still work though.
    Last edited by GabbyM; 08-29-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Boolit Master

GabbyM,
    I own a 7.62x39 Carbine and a 300BLK Carbine already for woods-walking and I already own a 358 Winchester for 35 Cal shooting.

I am rigged for casting 6.5mm boolits and the other use of this upper will be for match rifle use in NRA Highpower rifle matches with those "nasty" jacketed bullets (XTC) and cast for reduced-range matches (1-200 yards).

Bruce
    Last edited by bruce drake; 08-30-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Boolit Master

JeffH,
    A couple of fellows on this forum own 257x45 (257-223REM) wildcats and I am extremely jealous of them as after my 6.5 caliber rifles, my first gunsmith built rifle and preferred do-anything rifle is a VZ-24 Mauser rebarreled to 257 Roberts. That cartridge can be loaded from 65gr to 120gr in bullet weights and can be used for everything from squirrels to deer! Building an AR in 25caliber would be another fun thing to do although I think 86gr would probably be the heaviest boolit I'd load for a 25-223 AR.
    Bruce

Boolit Master

And now I have cast a bunch of boolits for the upcoming project. Titan Reloading in WI had the dies and shipped them in I finally had time yesterday to reform some 7.62x39 brass and cast some bullets. I had an Ideal 266469 mold (140gr Louverin) already from my projects with 6.5 Arisaka and 260 Remington so it was a very pleasant surprise to find the 257100 mold that Twotrees sent me was .270 and .268 across the driving bands! So its pleasant to find a 100gr boolit already on my shelf that saves me $60+ for this next project! Now they sit gas-checked and sized to .266 waiting for the barrel purchase in a few weeks.

Bruce

Boolit Master

Have the complete bolt carrier group, a charging handle and 120 cartridges loaded and waiting. I bought a slickside upper from a fellow forum member that is enroute and I'm just storing funds up for the barrel as the rest of the parts will come in very quickly after that.

Bruce

Boolit Buddy
    the Grendel form is your friend for all Grendel related info http://www.65grendel.com/forum/ good luck trying to join though we had a spam bot incident last year so now there is a back log as applicants are sorted though but you can still peruse the forms just not post that said the model on sporter bolt is just a 7.62x39 bolt or as its known in Grendel circles a type 1 there is also a type 2 bolt which is 0.136 deep and is the original colt spec bolt for the 7.62 the deeper face being to accommodate the thicker rim of the 7.62 case, so you will need to be careful about ordering a barrel as it will need to be head spaced to the bolt, when it comes to the Grendel i recommend buying the barrel and bolt together the only barrel that use the type one bolt that you have that dont come with a bolt already are the ones from model one but the ar stoner barrels from midway use that bolt as well thought they come with one matched

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
    the Grendel form is your friend for all Grendel related info http://www.65grendel.com/forum/ good luck trying to join though we had a spam bot incident last year so now there is a back log as applicants are sorted though but you can still peruse the forms just not post that said the model on sporter bolt is just a 7.62x39 bolt or as its known in Grendel circles a type 1 there is also a type 2 bolt which is 0.136 deep and is the original colt spec bolt for the 7.62 the deeper face being to accommodate the thicker rim of the 7.62 case, so you will need to be careful about ordering a barrel as it will need to be head spaced to the bolt, when it comes to the Grendel i recommend buying the barrel and bolt together the only barrel that use the type one bolt that you have that dont come with a bolt already are the ones from model one but the ar stoner barrels from midway use that bolt as well thought they come with one matched
    Yes, be careful.

Same issue with the 50 Beowulf bolts. Actually they are the same bolts. At least the Grendel is a SAAMI cartridge now, so you can buy your own reamer if you want to.

Boolit Master

Yeah...I've been on the 6.5 Grendel forum wait list for quite a while. Not holding my breath on seeing a email from them anytime soon either.

I've got access to a 6.5 Grendel reamer to custom fit the barrel if it doesn't match exactly when I get it in. Its just a matter of getting the dang barrel in!

Bruce

Boolit Master

And I just bought a 16" 7.62x39 AR barrel to put together a carbine to play around with until I get the phone call that the 6.5 Grendel Barrel I ordered comes in.

Maybe by that time, I'll have bought another Upper receiver and bolt carrier group for the delayed Grendel build...

Bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast