Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 30-40 Krag Carbine needs a good Mold,and good loads!

Moderator Emeritus

If you want a light plinker for your Krag I've had really good luck with the 311466 Loverin boolit using IMR4227 powder. I'm at work at the moment but can give you my data later if you want it.

I have the NOE 311284 but have not had a chance to work up loads for it yet in the Krag. I am thinking of using IMR3031 with it as that powder works well for me with 180gr J-words.
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean D. View Post
    If you want a light plinker for your Krag I've had really good luck with the 311466 Loverin boolit using IMR4227 powder. I'm at work at the moment but can give you my data later if you want it.

I have the NOE 311284 but have not had a chance to work up loads for it yet in the Krag. I am thinking of using IMR3031 with it as that powder works well for me with 180gr J-words.
    Sounds as if you have some good information. Yes please comeback with more that you have,and as you develop the heaver loads too.
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

The NOE 311284 is one of my match bullet replacement candidates, the nose casts .302" which goes well with the fact that the majority of Krag barrels have a .301" bore. Lots of fun, and extremely accurate at 1600fps or less is the Squibb bullet. Many companies made copies, the Belding and Mull 311169 and the often seen for sale Lyman 311413 are examples. People buy them figuring to get jacketed velocity out of the little spitzers and quickly get disappointed. When kept down in the velocity range they like, shooting at golf balls at 100yd and hitting them pretty regular is the norm. I used to use Blue Dot under the bullet, but I'm near the end of that and have been using a surplus powder that burns about the same rate. 11.2gr should yield around 1450fps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12364f510d821a8d2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	79631
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    The NOE 311284 is one of my match bullet replacement candidates, the nose casts .302" which goes well with the fact that the majority of Krag barrels have a .301" bore. Lots of fun, and extremely accurate at 1600fps or less is the Squibb bullet. Many companies made copies, the Belding and Mull 311169 and the often seen for sale Lyman 311413 are examples. People buy them figuring to get jacketed velocity out of the little spitzers and quickly get disappointed. When kept down in the velocity range they like, shooting at golf balls at 100yd and hitting them pretty regular is the norm. I used to use Blue Dot under the bullet, but I'm near the end of that and have been using a surplus powder that burns about the same rate. 11.2gr should yield around 1450fps.
    Nice group,and with open sights! My powder selection is;
    Accurate XMR 4350
    XMP 2015
    No.7
    Hercules/Alliant 2400
    Hodgen Pyrodex
    H 110
    H 205
    H 335
    H 380
    Winchester 231
    So when I slug my barrel I was thinking of starting out with Herc 2400 as I have 9 1/4 pounds 8 pounds being Alliant.

Jules

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmiceyes View Post
    Great,what range are you using it at 100,200 or further? This guns barrel is 22.15 inches. What length of barrel are you using? I'll have to check all the ranges out at the club to see the difference between rifle,and carbine. Does anyone shoot both? Have any results to share? 's
    24" barrel. I shoot my Browning with the original buckhorn sights and as such they aren't real good for long range. 100 yard paper punching is all i do. I use either 28.0gr. RL-7 or 33.0gr. IMR3031

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmiceyes View Post
    Sounds as if you have some good information. Yes please comeback with more that you have,and as you develop the heaver loads too.
    I just got home and looked at my load data for the 311466. I started at 19.0 of IMR4227 and worked up in 1/2 gr. increments to 20.5 gr.. 19.5gr of gave me my best groups in the Krag I tested it in.

I'll let you know how the 311284 groups when I get a chance to hit the range with it.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    I just got home and looked at my load data for the 311466. I started at 19.0 of IMR4227 and worked up in 1/2 gr. increments to 20.5 gr.. 19.5gr of gave me my best groups in the Krag I tested it in.

I'll let you know how the 311284 groups when I get a chance to hit the range with it.
    So you have one of the last Krags. Tell me do you recognize the sight on this one?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1898 30-40 Krag barrelled action with everything but trigger guard,and guard screws c.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	79725

Jules

Moderator Emeritus

I'm no expert on Krags, there are many here on the forum that are though that may chime in. From what I see that is NOT an original sight, at least I've never seen a Krag with one like that unless it had been sporterized. The original sight should be a ladder type sight. If it is an original I'll be tickled to watch and learn from others more in the know.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a 314299

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    I'm no expert on Krags, there are many here on the forum that are though that may chime in. From what I see that is NOT an original sight, at least I've never seen a Krag with one like that unless it had been sporterized. The original sight should be a ladder type sight. If it is an original I'll be tickled to watch and learn from others more in the know.
    It is actually the 2nd one I have seen with the buck horn being on a ladder with the other gun. Wondering if it was for Jungle like in the Philippines,or Something in China?

Jules

Hensley & Gibbs Design #99:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ighlight=Ideal

Hensley & Gibbs Design #20: (Not recommended)

Ideal 308280 Armory Mould:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...y-Armory-Mould

With the Ideal 8 Cavity Plain Base design I routinely get 1.5" groups at 100 yards all day long with my Krag NRA Carbine:

http://hgmould.gunloads.com/krag/krag1.jpg
    Last edited by Texasflyboy; 08-20-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texasflyboy View Post
    Hensley & Gibbs Design #99:

Hensley & Gibbs Design #20: (Not recommended)

Ideal 308280 Armory Mould:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...y-Armory-Mould

With the Ideal 8 Cavity Plain Base design I routinely get 1.5" groups at 100 yards all day long with my Krag NRA Carbine:

http://hgmould.gunloads.com/krag/krag1.jpg
    I just spent a hour on those pages. Great pictures of the targets. I then went to the Geo A Hensley page. I have a 2 cavity #12 plain base 150 grain with handles all from San Diego. So maybe I'll get lucky on a 2 cavity mold for the 30-40 Krag. 's

Jules

Boolit Buddy
    After all this time,the action was finally shipped. I need to act my age,and not be so impatient! 's
    Last edited by Cosmiceyes; 08-22-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Jules

Boolit Buddy
    I thought my stock was going to come in yesterday,but it didn't? Great American Gunstock Company!

I have a barrel band without screw or swivel.Also need a stock retainer spring for band.I need a spring for a 1902 rear sight."OR" a peep slide bar for a 1901. I need 2 sight screws.

Jules

Boolit Buddy
    Tracking number says it will arrive today!

Jules

2400 will be friendly to you, just starting out. It'll help you avoid the frustration that makes a lot of new casters into former casters. It burns near the same rate as the powder I used with the Squibb bullet. Your buckhorn sight was made for the woods of America, not the Philippines or China. Likely made by King Gunsights, they had models which fit the bases of Krag, Springfield and Winchester model 95 rifles. The full buckhorn for the Krag was #19-S and Stroebel gives a value of $35-$75. Would have cost the original buyer $1.50.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    2400 will be friendly to you, just starting out. It'll help you avoid the frustration that makes a lot of new casters into former casters. It burns near the same rate as the powder I used with the Squibb bullet. Your buckhorn sight was made for the woods of America, not the Philippines or China. Likely made by King Gunsights, they had models which fit the bases of Krag, Springfield and Winchester model 95 rifles. The full buckhorn for the Krag was #19-S and Stroebel gives a value of $35-$75. Would have cost the original buyer $1.50.
    That would explain why my 1896 ladder won't fit the attachment screw. Threads are OK just the diameter of the shaft is to large. The barrel has a group of 5 holes not in a too straight line in the top of the barrel which the seller hit from view. Looks like JB Wield was used to attach base,and fill some holes. Anyone know how to get it out? I know I can make some blanks to thread in to the foreign holes,and silver solder into place.

Jules

Krag sight mounting screws have a very odd thread, nearly a metric thread, a no longer standard metric thread. 26tpi in US nomenclature, or something like that, can't remember exactly. But the US armories were copying French threads in their beginning, and the threads for sights, band screws and such carried over for quite some time. I can't say for sure, but it looks as though your sight has been moved to the rear. Measuring from the rear of the receiver ring to the rear mounting screw for the sight, I get 4.18". The holes are the same for all models of Krag sights.

TXflyboy, try that #20 going just a bit slower, in the 1400fps range, it'll do better for you then. I could help with the feeding problem, but you're probably not interested in the piddling with the magazine and follower that it would take. I wouldn't be.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 08-29-2013 at 06:09 PM.

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Krag sight mounting screws have a very odd thread, nearly a metric thread, a no longer standard metric thread. 26tpi in US nomenclature, or something like that, can't remember exactly. But the US armories were copying French threads in their beginning, and the threads for sights, band screws and such carried over for quite some time. I can't say for sure, but it looks as though your sight has been moved to the rear. Measuring from the rear of the receiver ring to the rear mounting screw for the sight, I get 4.18". The holes are the same for all models of Krag sights.

TXflyboy, try that #20 going just a bit slower, in the 1400fps range, it'll do better for you then. I could help with the feeding problem, but you're probably not interested in the piddling with the magazine and follower that it would take. I wouldn't be.
    I am thinking of sending the barrel action to Hank to see if he has a good way to fix the extra holes,and JB Wield. I read the French threads information,and was just thinking since it is so messed up to have the holes made larger in diameter,and re-threaded to a more common sight mount thread. I did find another Carbine complete for sale complete. It has a "01" rear sight,and it is a "03"build. It has a "05" front sight like mine with the total ring around the barrel. I think the travel to get it,and it's price will make me very happy. 's

Jules

Krag sight mounting screws have a very odd thread, nearly a metric thread, a no longer standard metric thread. 26tpi in US nomenclature, or something like that, can't remember exactly.
    You are correct. For the receiver sight that uses the cutoff hole in the receiver, its 26 tpi.

I successfully used a 10/24 (or 24 tpi) socket head screw with my Redfield No Drill Receiver sight by heating the screw until red, and then allowing to cool to room temperature. I ground the socket head down by mounting in a drill press and filing/sanding until the screw entered the recessed bolt hole. The 24tpi thread mismatch didn't start to bind until I was 90% into the threaded hole, and then, the now soft 10/24 bolt threads gave into the 26tpi threads. For me, it was a one way installation.

I later found out that the sling swivel screw is the same thread pitch (26TPI) and is much easier to obtain that the rare longer Redfield 26tpi cut-off/sight replacement screw.

This is the KRAG Redfield No Drill Receiver Sight, courtesy of Buckshot:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ll=1#post48149
    Last edited by Texasflyboy; 09-03-2013 at 04:58 PM.

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast