MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast iron pan help

Cast iron pan help

I brought home three Wagner cast iron pans from a flea market and they black and kinda sticky to the the touch. We are new to cooking with cast iron. Should we just scrub with hot water, oil and cook with them?

I can appreciate any tips. Pretty much just wondering if the sticky feel is normal when they are at room temperature.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master

What I do with pots like that is put them in a grill or barbecue pit you can get up to about 400 degrees and bake them for several hours until you cook all the old oil/grease and stuff to carbon. It's best to do it outside because the smell can irritate some people. Doesn't bother me, but others around here start whining about it. Then take a wire brush or drill motor with a wire wheel to them to clean all the old stuff off. Once you are satisfied with it (it usually takes me a couple of days because I get anal about it and do it several times), put about 1/8 cup of your preferred cooking oil in it. Get the pan and oil hot and then start rubbing it out with paper towels until you have a thin coat of oil on the pan and the paper towels come out clean. You may still have some light brown stuff on the towel, but for the most part it appears clean. You clean it after use the same way. Use a plastic scraper to remove cooked on particles, hot water, paper to wipe it out and then you can put it up or put a little oil in it to reseason it, using the paper towels to wipe out the excess. My grandmothers saved old newspapers to wipe theirs out with.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

I found this helpful...

blackirondude.blogspot.com
    One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Boolit Bub
    I found this video a while back and it seemed like a pretty straight forward and easy way to clean up an old one. Hope it helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjgP-6W_YN4

Quote Originally Posted by Castaholic View Post
    Heck....that pan is just getting seasoned, looks good. I used to worry myself more about cast iron care when I first started using it. Not so much anymore.

Do like gbrown said. Get it good and hot...oven, grill, stove top, whatever. Let most of the old oil burn off. Then what I do is while it's still hot take it over to the sink, fill it with an inch or so of hot tap water, and scrub like mad with a stiff nylon brush. As far as seasoning goes I think the best way is just use it.

Boolit Buddy

I just read a blog where the writer believes, after a bunch of research, that flaxseed oil is the best seasoning oil - hands down. Thoughts?

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
    I just read a blog where the writer believes, after a bunch of research, that flaxseed oil is the best seasoning oil - hands down. Thoughts?
    Lard or peanut oil.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master

What has worked well for me is to just save the bacon grease and use that to cook with. It is free, and seems to soak into the pan better. I can even lightly rinse my frying pan in hot soapy water and the pan still comes out oily, just don't scrub it with soapy water. Unless I have over cooked something I usually just wipe it out with a paper towel.

Burn all the old **** off as others have said. I would then use olive oil to season and preserve the cast iron pans. I have no hesitation to use them, scrub them with brillo pad, then let them dry, then put a light coat of olive oil on them. Works like a charm....but if you wait, they will start to rust on you. You can air dry or paper towel dry them....but get that oil on them ASAP!

Boolit Master

Soap to coffe pots/cast iron pots/pans is like garlic to a vampire. I got some beef tips in a rich gravy going on the stove in Mom's old Griswold. When done, a little hot water, quick scrub with a nylon bristle brush and wipe out with paper towels--back to the cabinet. I watched the video of the lady with the oven clean cycle and firebrick. Seemed to work well. I just wish the ones I have gotten were that lightly used. The last one I did was a Martin Stove and Range 8 quart that looked like 5 miles of bad road. Took about 15 hours. As said, maybe I'm a little too anal, but it works for me.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

I use flaxseed oil currently, I've used other things in the past. Right now my process is to put a thin coating of flaxseed oil and put it in the grill at around 500 for an hour. Do at least 5 times, this builds a great polymerized cooking surface. Ask the guys in the boolit lube section about polymerizing oils, it works great.

Perma-Banned

I second the olive oil. I use it on my pans. I heat the pan and put the olive oil on and just let it cool down on the stove top. The oil will all but disappear.

Boolit Master

Not a drop of soap. Not. One. Drop. Ever.

I don't like olive oil though. If I use the pan once a week then its a non issue, but if I let it set awhile it gets gummy as noted. I prefer to use ghee. It NEVER goes rancid and it NEVER gets sticky. Slick as the day I put it on.

I oil with nothing but ghee these days. Makes a good popcorn topper too.

No sticky is not normal. It is old oil put there to keep the utensil from rusting. With old cast iron, I will give it a good scrubbing with hot water and soap (yes soap). I will place it on top of the stove on medium to dry it thoroughly. I then re-oil with olive oil and cook. Thereafter I only scrap and if necessary wash in hot water and dry on the stove and re-oil. No soap after the first time.

On really nasty and crusty used cast iron, I have been known to put a wire brush/cup on a hand held electric drill to get it off. You really can't hurt these things.

Thirty five years ago, I washed a deep cast iron chicken fryer and put it on the stove to dry. I forgot about it and went to bed. I got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and noticed an eerie glow coming from the kitchen. I went in these and the chicken fryer was glowing cherry red. I turned off the stove and went back to bed. I had to scrape off the ash and re-season but I am still using it today.

There is much nonsense written about seasoning cast iron and I have done it all in prior years, but nothing works any better than heating it up on the stove, wiping on some grease or oil and letting it cool. Now, just cook and time will take care of the rest. In due time it will get coal black and as slick as Teflon.

It doesn't matter what kind of oil or grease you use. Just remember that some of the vegetable oils has a much lower flash point and others. This is the reason you don't want to fry with olive oil. I cook with olive oil and wipe it on a warm cast iron pot, but I will not fry with it, bit time fire hazard.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 08-15-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

with OLD cast iron, I will do the same. No telling what the previous owner did, and scrub hard enough, the nice built up layer will flake off. Game over, start over. soap it off.

I'll never wirewheel though. only scotchbrite. I want it as polished as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
    Crisco solid shortening
    what lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to while lies within us - emerson

When we get old crusty ones, we throw them into the fire pit, burn off all the gunk, and season them with olive oil.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Man

We use grape seed oil, it has a higher flash point. Bake it in at 500 deg. for an hour, wipe off excess. Never use soap.

Boolit Master

I bought a nice Griswald stove top dutch oven at a flea market when I was camping. I just tossed it in the camp fire, the next morning it was a grey metal color, cooked bacon in it for breackfast, then hamburgers for lonch. It was good to go.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    I brought home three Wagner cast iron pans from a flea market and they black and kinda sticky to the the touch. We are new to cooking with cast iron. Should we just scrub with hot water, oil and cook with them?
    I can appreciate any tips. Pretty much just wondering if the sticky feel is normal when they are at room temperature.
    Just so you know, it's common practice (in MN anyway) for antique collector/sellers to coat cast iron cookware with linseed oil for long storage.

So, I'd follow Char-Gar's REAL GOOD advice below, If the "sticky" oil doesn't wash off with hot water and soap, I'd either try mineral spirits, murphy's oil soap, or a campfire.

I am sure Char-Gar is right about it not mattering, the choice of oil/grease...But I prefer the Fat of the Hog !!!
    (Bear grease is number 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    No sticky is not normal. It is old oil put there to keep the utensil from rusting. With old cast iron, I will give it a good scrubbing with hot water and soap (yes soap). I will place it on top of the stove on medium to dry it thoroughly. I then re-oil with olive oil and cook. Thereafter I only scrap and if necessary wash in hot water and dry on the stove and re-oil. No soap after the first time.

On really nasty and crusty used cast iron, I have been known to put a wire brush/cup on a hand held electric drill to get it off. You really can't hurt these things.

Thirty five years ago, I washed a deep cast iron chicken fryer and put it on the stove to dry. I forgot about it and went to bed. I got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and noticed an eerie glow coming from the kitchen. I went in these and the chicken fryer was glowing cherry red. I turned off the stove and went back to bed. I had to scrape off the ash and re-season but I am still using it today.

There is much nonsense written about seasoning cast iron and I have done it all in prior years, but nothing works any better than heating it up on the stove, wiping on some grease or oil and letting it cool. Now, just cook and time will take care of the rest. In due time it will get coal black and as slick as Teflon.

It doesn't matter what kind of oil or grease you use. Just remember that some of the vegetable oils has a much lower flash point and others. This is the reason you don't want to fry with olive oil. I cook with olive oil and wipe it on a warm cast iron pot, but I will not fry with it, bit time fire hazard.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast