RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smokemjoe (Joe Wiest) Has Passed Away

It was, unfortunately.

I had dealings with Joe on occasion, and followed his reports on his cancer. I found him to be fair, kind, and helpful. It's my intentions to meet him at that range in Heaven, someday. hope you all will join us!

Here on this Earth, " We are diminished "

Wayne
    Aim low boys, there ridin shetlands

Boolit Master

RIP Joe

Thanks Duke for posting for me, The pics. I took dont show the best figure and the lighting was bad, Only 5 of my friends have seen these in the last 15 years . Nowe I hope you all enjoy them, Thanks- you for looking while i am still able to kept on going. Joe
    I just checked my emails and it's the same Joe I set the photobucket account up for and uploaded his pics of the muzzle loaders he was selling. <very sad>
    http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/sm...?sort=3&page=1

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    I just checked my emails and it's the same Joe I set the photobucket account up for and uploaded his pics of the muzzle loaders he was selling. <very sad>
    http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/sm...?sort=3&page=1
    What a beautiful set of rifles, I know Joe must have been very proud of them. I didn't know Joe outside of his posts on this site but have been deeply moved by his courage and conviction as he battled the cancer that took him. I was feeling pretty sad too when I read the post about his passing. Got to thinking about Joe continuing his journey and the response it caused here and ya know what, Joe did alright. To have moved so many fine folks to pray for him and offer him comfort is a testament to a life well lived and that my friends is no small thing. I reckon Joe is sitting there with a warm smile on his face right now, saying a prayer for us!!!! God watch over and keep you and yours Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCelt View Post
    What a beautiful set of rifles, I know Joe must have been very proud of them. I didn't know Joe outside of his posts on this site but have been deeply moved by his courage and conviction as he battled the cancer that took him. I was feeling pretty sad too when I read the post about his passing. Got to thinking about Joe continuing his journey and the response it caused here and ya know what, Joe did alright. To have moved so many fine folks to pray for him and offer him comfort is a testament to a life well lived and that my friends is no small thing. I reckon Joe is sitting there with a warm smile on his face right now, saying a prayer for us!!!! God watch over and keep you and yours Joe.

Here could sure build a rifle.

Banned

Joe was one of the first to welcome me to this site last year when I joined. I also got to buy one of his NOE moulds he put up for sale about a week before he passed. It's nice to have something he used. I will think of him every time I cast 38's.

Russ

Boolit Master
    There really is not much one can say except----We are reduced, RIP Joe!
    R.D.M.

RIP Joe
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    I Emailed joe a time or two picking his mind on my 69/71 vet and wanted to stop by too visit. Sadly I waited too long. Hope to meet you at the big range in the sky Joe

I betcha that ole boy maybe met friends and family up there and went a looken for old gun guys from 1770s. RIP Sir, you had some real artwork and admirers.

Boolit Mold
    RIP Joe

Joe is an outstanding man, very helpful and knowledgeable. I have talked to Joe many times via email. I have bought his moulds and he has made Swiss Vetterli brass for me.

He will be missed here!!!!
    In Loving Memory
    SFC Bryan Hall
    KIA 4/10/09 Mozul Iraq
    Fallen but never ever forgoten!
    A Company, 1st Battalion, 67th Armor Regiment
    I'll go walking in the woods for ya !

Boolit Buddy

RIP Joe
    The world has lost a fine person. Joe helped me a lot with my Swiss Vetterli and was an expert on converting these to center fire and forming brass. Heaven is richer now.
    "The Constitution should be taken like mountain whiskey -- undiluted and untaxed." - Sam Ervin

Boolit Grand Master
    I hate coming into this place
    Joe was a good friend though we never met
    he shared alot of information with me and hunting stories
    I will miss him r.i.p Joe
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

I've been thinking for a while that I should call Joe just to see how he is doing.
    Sometimes I really am too slow.
    Without Our Town, I wouldn't even know Joe has passed. Joe was a fun guy to talk to. I was hoping to find a good excuse to go traipsing through Missouri so I could meet him in person.
    Sometimes I really am to slow.
    Soon I will get to play with an old Remington Rolling Block in .43 Spanish. If I am not shooting it too well, it might be lack of focus on the front sight caused by thinking about an old friend.

Boolit Master

I'm putting this thread up.

I believe this is the same Joe I helped post pics of a dozen muzzle loaders he was selling. Nice fella. I chatted on the phone with him.
    Here could sure build a rifle.

Fourth up from the bottom. Flintlock. I ended up with that one. 58 cal and it is a joy to handle, load, fire, and clean. When we made arrangements for its purchase, I actually built a crate and shipped it to Joe for no other purpose than transporting that rifle one time. He even said he would ship the rifle first, and let me send the payment (potentially to his wife, he said) only after I was happy. That's an incredible statement. His wife put the kaibosh on that and it was no problem of course, but it goes to show what kind of guy he was.

Here's a thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Signing-Barrel

Concerned signing his barrels would reduce the value. As an aside, mine is #31.

The first three shots I ever fired cut a cloverleaf at 50 yards.

I now joined a club and shoot a monthly shoot. Always with this rifle. Took it for some target shooting the other day which was the motivation for my posting here:

(yes I pulled the third shot. Not 3 misses either, it's sighted for 100 yards, not 50)

I think about Joe at LEAST once a month, and nearly every time I pull the trigger. This rifle is one of my joys. I would buy another of his 39 if I could somehow get the opportunity.

I think that answers his concerns about value rather clearly.

Thanks Joe.

Thanks for posting Whiterabbit
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

In Remembrance
    I know this is an older thread, but just found it. I knew Joe from the 70s when we went to some of the same rendezvous; we lost touch over the years and became re-acquainted through this forum. You just don't find many of Joe's caliber anymore. He was honest in his dealings and I bought several things from him at very fair prices. Some of the items came with "extras" at no additional cost. I was truly saddened to hear of his passing, even though we knew it was inevitable. I hope to meet up with him again someday.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Rest In Peace, Joe. I'm saddened by your passing. I've only just heard.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    I've only just heard.
    No worries. It's late posts like yours that keep friends and loved ones in our minds.
    Kind of like saying "Bump to the top!".
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123