RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star sizer for sizing glocked 9mm brass?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by RoGrrr View Post
    I have much 9 brass and a small percentage of it won't chamber in my EMP. It all fits the Rock Island but we know about them. What bothers me is that the Dillon feeds and loads it all and then I'm stuck at the range with a round that won't lock into battery. I can hammer the back of the slide to persuade it to lock but I don't want to do that to my EMP or the Hi-Power.
    The base is .391 but the rim is .394. Magma's CASE MASTER pushes it all thru but I don't know what the inside diameter of their die is. YET. I plan to call and ask what the I.D of their die is. I have over 1000 rounds loaded and my plan is to have lathesmith make a die and put it in a hydraulic press to push the rounds thru. I will also have a boolit trap in front of it in case one lights off.
    I like the hydraulic press idea, but I would pull the bullet and powder first. Getting a case gauge will show the problem ones that need to be fixed. I checked a full 50call box the other night it's fairly quick.

I have so many loaded (about 1000) that I'm not going to pull them all down to resize. I'll check each of them in the barrel and those that fail to seat will be "treated". Depends on how many I have, what I'll do about them.
    Being a machinist and can weld, and having an electric hydraulic pump and a cylinder, I'll build a setup to do all the work for me. I'm looking into my options for the sizing die.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak1 View Post
    I like the hydraulic press idea, but I would pull the bullet and powder first. Getting a case gauge will show the problem ones that need to be fixed. I checked a full 50call box the other night it's fairly quick.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Have you ever heard of an anchor holding SLOW ?
    As far as some of us on this forum, we don't bite; We shoot !
    To see my images at imgur.com
    sign in as BOOLITCASTER
    password - 123456789

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by RoGrrr View Post
    . I have over 1000 rounds loaded and my plan is to have lathesmith make a die and put it in a hydraulic press to push the rounds thru. I will also have a boolit trap in front of it in case one lights off.
    Get a lee carbide factory crimp die.
    Put it in a toolhead by itself. Unscrew the crimp stem.
    It will base size the 9mm and you should be good to go.

I.run a 550b and just bought lee carbide dies with the fcd (carbide)
    no more problem for.me.

Sorry for the extra periods. On my phone
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

I spoke with Magma today about their sizing die. He said it's about .388 to allow for some springback. I mentioned that I plan to push completed cartridges thru it with hydraulic assist and he didn't have any objection to that. As long as I don't push on the primer it should be ok.
    He also mentioned that Glock is the worst for deforming brass.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Have you ever heard of an anchor holding SLOW ?
    As far as some of us on this forum, we don't bite; We shoot !
    To see my images at imgur.com
    sign in as BOOLITCASTER
    password - 123456789

i pick up a lot of range brass fired in i don't know what but if i ever came across brass that had bulges like that they would hit the scrap bin fast
    i size/deprime all my brass then check the brass in a loaded round gage, if it fails it hits the scrap barrel before it gets loaded and causes problems at the range

Banned

the lee 9mm bulge buster kit is a makarov die, they (lee) may have done somthing to it. Works great. You can machine some off bottom of different sizers to get dwn far enough. But this one is a push thru kit. It takes alot of force.

Boolit Buddy

I think it would be easier to shoot those loaded rounds in a Glock with a loose chamber.
    1. You get to shoot a gun.
    2. You can collect the bad brass and fix it or trash it.
    3. You save a lot of time.

Boolit Buddy
    Somewhere in the woods of Central Oklahoma
    When I started reloading .40 S&W that I shot out of my Model 27 Glock, I was warned about the "Glock buldge". So I just started pushing the brass through a sizer I bought from NOE. Worked just fine. However, I hated having the extra step. So I bought a KKM competition barrel which supports the brass just fine. Problem solved. Besides, the KKM barrel grouped my shots a whole lot better than the factory barrel.
    Chris

Boolit Bub

My first post. I had the same issue with the bulge in the area where the size die cannot reach. I purchased a Magma case master Jr. arbor press and push through die that I use to remove the bulge on 9mm brass that is fired in a UZI. Reloaded brass that came out of it and not pushed through the case master will not stack correctly in the magazine and I had all sorts of feeding problems. I purchased it over 20 years ago and it took care of the problem.

Jim

Banned
    I use RCBS dies and never had a problem sizing the brass I have or manage to find by simply running the die down to the point where I contact the case holder gently. This seems to provide full sizing for me with no Glock bulge. The same is true when sizing my 40cal brass.

ADMIN

I bought a case pro for my 40 loading
    my buddy has a Camdex case processor for 9mm
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master
    GONRA agrees with 6bg6ga in the sense that I usa RCBS resizing die in my Dillon 650.

These particular RCBS resizing dies hava small entrance radius.
    There MAY be other (later mfg?) RCBS that hava larger entrance radius to better accommodate Progressive Reloaders?

May not be the BEST for Progressive Reloader Functioning, but resized cases are perfect. Just like Factory.
    That’s all I care about!

Case are Range Pickups. Any Bad News has been discarded.

My "Glock 17" is the original 9mm when they first came out in the U.S. & A. – looong ago…
    Just shot it, never tried to reload the brass. Maybe someday...
    (It and the S&W Sigma SW9F copy are “plastic gun” curiosities in my Reference Collection. Won’t get shot much….)

Boolit Master
    I'm a brass scrounger. All brass goes through the appropriate DILLON case gauge. The 45acp GLOCK factory barrels were the worst offenders. Happiness is spelled KKM.
    IF it doesn't pass the case gauge, it was worth $1.12 at the recycling center/scrap yard last week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12