WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star sizer for sizing glocked 9mm brass?

Boolit Buddy

Star sizer for sizing glocked 9mm brass?

I am having an issue with some glocked 9mm brass that I have been picking up.

I was wondering if anybody thought it would be possible to get a punch and die for the star to size the bottom 1/32nd of the case that the sizing die doesn't touch on the case.

I had thought that one needed something like a casepro as 9mm cases are tapered but Magma has this:
    http://www.magmaengineering.com/comp...ners/click/10/

Boolit Master

Kayak - Were it me, I wouldn't throw 300 bux (if I'm looking at the right thing) for a sizer to do Glocked brass. Any Glocked brass that won't size up OK, (and the vast majority does come out all right) I just throw in the recycle can. 9mm brass seems to show up everywhere, anyway. Just my .02. Mike Edit to say that Lee makes an arrangement that costs WAY less and the reviews are quite good.
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by captaint View Post
    Kayak - Were it me, I wouldn't throw 300 bux (if I'm looking at the right thing) for a sizer to do Glocked brass. Any Glocked brass that won't size up OK, (and the vast majority does come out all right) I just throw in the recycle can. 9mm brass seems to show up everywhere, anyway. Just my .02. Mike Edit to say that Lee makes an arrangement that costs WAY less and the reviews are quite good.
    I was thinking of a $42 lathesmith die that would go into the star sizer. One would lube the case and have it pushed though the die to fix the case. I could toss all my 9's into it once then just worry about (and fix) the extras I found at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by captaint View Post
    Lee does not make the bulge buster for 9mm due to the 9mm case being tapered.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    Lee does not make the bulge buster for 9mm due to the 9mm case being tapered.
    I was guessing that he was talking about the under size resizing die (I have one and it didn't help). Your correct in that they don't make the push through bulge buster, thus I was surprised that Magma a push through setup. My issue is just the widest part of the case, thus I thought of the star sizer...

I have the Magma Case Master Jr. for 9mm, .40/10mm and .45 acp. It works well, but you need lots and lots of leverage to push a case all the way through even a carbide die, which the Jr. has. Even with carbide, it's necessary to lube the cases. That's why the Case Master Jr. is built on an arbor press. Sometimes even the arbor press is a chore if you get a case that's expanded more than normal.

The Star isn't capable of that kind of leverage, and you'd end up breaking it. I have six Star sizers and I wouldn't even attempt to push a case through one of them.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy

Fred,
    Thanks for the advice, I will drop the idea.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak1 View Post
    I am having an issue with some glocked 9mm brass that I have been picking up.

I was wondering if anybody thought it would be possible to get a punch and die for the star to size the bottom 1/32nd of the case that the sizing die doesn't touch on the case.

I had thought that one needed something like a casepro as 9mm cases are tapered but Magma has this:
    http://www.magmaengineering.com/comp...ners/click/10/

I will agree that you cannot size the entire case. In my experience reloading 9mm for Glock using Dillon dies in a 650 have had noticed zero problems associated with not sizing the entire length of the case. I have noticed this with the 380 that I reload also and have had no problems with the 380 in my Wather PPK/S. So, why is it important to resize all the way down? I experience zero problems.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I will agree that you cannot size the entire case. In my experience reloading 9mm for Glock using Dillon dies in a 650 have had noticed zero problems associated with not sizing the entire length of the case. I have noticed this with the 380 that I reload also and have had no problems with the 380 in my Wather PPK/S. So, why is it important to resize all the way down? I experience zero problems.
    I too have a Dillon 650 with dillon dies. About 5% of my brass won't chamber or pass the case guage. Before I started casting this was a much bigger deal as I wasn't melting the pulled bullet down. It would still be nice to start loading with known good brass.

I save my brass that wont chamber until I buy a Magma Case Master Jr, or use as bullet jackets for 40sw.

Banned

i ordered a lee buldge buster kit for 9mm. Custom order, had to wait a lil'.

Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    i ordered a lee buldge buster kit for 9mm. Custom order, had to wait a lil'.
    I should do the same and save some money. How much did it cost and how long did they say it would take?
    Randy

Boolit Master
    I have a Glock 9 and have never experienced any problems with the glock bulge, maybe I don't reload to +P levels to have this happen. I have likely had cases fired though the glock 5 or 6 times and now many are being fed though an XDm with zero problems. I had began to think the bulge problem was only with other cartridges ie 40, 10mm, 45s, 357 sig. I full length size with a Lyman carbide die.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    I have a Glock 9 and have never experienced any problems with the glock bulge, maybe I don't reload to +P levels to have this happen. I have likely had cases fired though the glock 5 or 6 times and now many are being fed though an XDm with zero problems. I had began to think the bulge problem was only with other cartridges ie 40, 10mm, 45s, 357 sig. I full length size with a Lyman carbide die.
    Some Glocks have barrels that don't fully support the brass. From what I have read early Glock 17's were know for this.

This is a picture of Glocked brass:
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAw&dur=411
    http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=312004

Boolit Master
    Bulged brass like that goes in the recycle bucket. Brass is too cheap to try and make do with over stressed cases.
    Dusty

Boolit Master
    good pic kayak, I have never even seen anything budged like that! I have never even picked-up range brass with anything noticeable for a budge. Now I see what the stink is about reloading those streached cases...indexed in the chamber the same twice or 3 times...looks like the weak link for sure.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

I wouldn't own a gun that did that to my brass no matter how glamourus the brand name.

Boolit Buddy

The issue I have is I pickup and load range brass and I don't know it's glocked brass (not all of it is that obvious) until it hits the case gauge or my gun. I have attempted to fixed bad brass that didn't chamber (after it was sized and loaded with my Dillon dies) with the the Lee undersize die without any luck.

Around here in Oregon, the brass rats are too quick for me to find any extra brass laying around where I go shoot. So I only bring home what I took.

I have much 9 brass and a small percentage of it won't chamber in my EMP. It all fits the Rock Island but we know about them. What bothers me is that the Dillon feeds and loads it all and then I'm stuck at the range with a round that won't lock into battery. I can hammer the back of the slide to persuade it to lock but I don't want to do that to my EMP or the Hi-Power.
    The base is .391 but the rim is .394. Magma's CASE MASTER pushes it all thru but I don't know what the inside diameter of their die is. YET. I plan to call and ask what the I.D of their die is. I have over 1000 rounds loaded and my plan is to have lathesmith make a die and put it in a hydraulic press to push the rounds thru. I will also have a boolit trap in front of it in case one lights off.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Have you ever heard of an anchor holding SLOW ?
    As far as some of us on this forum, we don't bite; We shoot !
    To see my images at imgur.com
    sign in as BOOLITCASTER
    password - 123456789

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast