Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 m/m or 40 s&w

Boolit Buddy

10 m/m or 40 s&w

hello
    what is the best choose for shooting cast bullet in pistol 10m/m or 40 s&w?

just use for paper punching

i think here i could only find an glock in 10 m/m.

thanks

Banned

i use and enjoy both with cast bullets. Only real downside to 10mm is its harder to find brass and its more expensive when you do.

ADMIN

I would look and see what the supplies look like.
    10mm is a great round but to be honest its time has passed. Don't get me wrong there is a huge following for 10mm but you will not see any government agency using 10mm besides maybe the FBI.
    I would go with 40 S&W is it was me and I only had one choice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    I would look and see what the supplies look like.
    10mm is a great round but to be honest its time has passed. Don't get me wrong there is a huge following for 10mm but you will not see any government agency using 10mm besides maybe the FBI.
    I would go with 40 S&W is it was me and I only had one choice.
    Hi,
    Hatch is right,but I hate the 40 and LOVE the 10MM! Go figure!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Buddy
    With the Glock, you can shoot .40SW in it without even a barrel change if you so desire because it headspaces on the extractor. Or if you so desire, a barrel swap is not that expensive either and you can swap to .40SW and .357SIG without needing new mags. You can also convert it to 9mm, but you will need new mags (maybe a lighter spring also).

Brass availability is not really an issue since with the Glock, you can just load the .40SW brass to 10mm lengths and at 10mm power.
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Hatch is right,but I hate the 40 and LOVE the 10MM! Go figure!
    I love them both.
    The 10mm for the pure power
    I have a 1066, 1006, and a 610 in 10mm.
    40 cal for the fact that it is so plentiful. You can always find it somewhere and its a bonus that it uses the same boolit as the 10mm
    I have a model 22 and model 23 in 40 cal.

Just for paper, the .40 S&W would be my choice, hands down. If you reload, brass is cheap and plentiful, and if you don't, ammo is readily available.

You don't need the extra power or expense of the 10mm.

Just my .02.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Consider frame / grip size also. The 10mm glocks are considerably larger then the 40sw glocks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamDahl View Post
    Brass availability is not really an issue since with the Glock, you can just load the .40SW brass to 10mm lengths and at 10mm power.
    This statement leaves an awful lot unsaid. Its not that simple, its not a replacement for real 10mm brass, and should be exhaustively researched before attempting. This can be dangerous if done incorrectly.

Boolit Buddy
    With the Glock, you can shoot .40SW in it without even a barrel change if you so desire because it headspaces on the extractor.
    This is true, but please read and re-read the underlined part. this is not a safe thing to do in other guns
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.”
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Buddy
    HATCH
    i have an 5906 ,and i like the 3gen ,but here find a 1006
    i never have an glock ,but in pastic gun it's was my choice
    i cast ,no problem for the bullets ,brass are in the same range of price
    but the 40 is more commun ,the 10 is very marginal no issue for one fire brass ,i have never see one at range
    i have shoot with an fellow's glock subcompact in 357 sig the most desagreable
    wasn't the recoil ,but the muzzle blast.
    a add on a forum ,a guy sold one ,new fired 25 rounds, with the half box of ammo,sure he don't like the recoil.

thanks for yours answers.

Boolit Master
    If you get lucky, you might find a 610 around now and then.. with moon clips you can shoot the 10 mm or 40 S&W in it with no issues.. if you want, you could even have a gunsmith expand the cylinder to 10 mm magnum.. the Cylinder is very long and could accomodate the 10 mm magnum nicely (It is the same length at the 44 magnum). You can load mouse fart 40's or very hot magnums in the same gun and it will not care one bit.

Boolit Master
    The 610 ain't all its cracked up to be. First, the step in the chamber shaves lead when shooting shorter cartridges like the 40sw. It would do it with the 10mm if the cylinder was bored out for 10mm mag. And 10mm mag has almost no load data available at all.

I was going to buy a 610 a few weeks ago. I researched it and came to the conclusion that 10mm is best in semiautos and if I want a revolver I'm going to buy a 44mag.

ADMIN

I own a 610.
    its no different then shooting 38 special out of a 357 mag and i know we all have done that.

i have 10mm mag brass (new starline) but have never had my cylinders bored to shoot it.

Its a n frame gun that's built to last longer then you are.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    This statement leaves an awful lot unsaid. Its not that simple, its not a replacement for real 10mm brass, and should be exhaustively researched before attempting. This can be dangerous if done incorrectly.
    If you set the bullet long (i.e. to the same length as a normal 10mm round) and if the bullet you are using is long enough, you can load 10mm loads in .40 brass for the Glock. A bit more of the bullet sticks out, but it still works acceptably. I have not tried it with the maximum 10mm loads like you might find in the Buffalo Bore loadings (1350 fps, 728 ft-lbs with 180gr JHP), but I've definitely loaded more than was recommended as a maximum load for .40SW length cartridges.

One thing that you also need to consider when loading hot is that some of the .40 handguns do not fully support the chamber. From what I've read on the Buffalo Bore site, the Glock does not fully support the chamber in the .40, but it does in the .45ACP, 10mm, 9mm, and .380 models.

Now, if the military would just get rid of their 9mm Berettas and move up to handgun that was 10mm based, there would be a lot more 10mm brass available.
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

9mm and 40S&W, are about the only reloadable brass that is left laying around anymore if its left at all. If you shoot 40, then you won't worry about finding all the empties.

Boolit Master
    I think a Glock 20 with a 40 conversion barrel would be the best of both worlds, Cheap practice brass, 10mm power and capability to use small and large primers.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    I think a Glock 20 with a 40 conversion barrel would be the best of both worlds, Cheap practice brass, 10mm power and capability to use small and large primers.
    Of course, you can also shoot the Glock 20 with .40 rounds without the conversion barrel since it headspaces on the extractor.

More about me

Banned

was fooling around with my 20 and 23 yesterday and my 20 feeds and shoots 40s loaded to fit my 23 just fine. Load was a midrange load of 5 grains of aa2 and a 180. Felt like a pop gun in the 20 but did run the slide.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 08-18-2013 at 06:35 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    was fooling around with my 20 and 23 yesterday and my 20 feeds and shoots 40s loaded to fit my 23 just fine. Load was a midrange load of 5 grains of aa2 and a 180. Felt like a pop gun in the 20 but did run the slide.
    You should be getting slight higher velocities with the .40s in the G20 than in the G23 since the barrel is slightly longer (4.6" in the G20 vs 4.02" in the G23). There also should be slightly less recoil in the G20 since it is slightly heavier (39.14 oz loaded for the G20 vs 31.03 oz for the G23).

Glocl 20 Specs
    Glock 23 Specs

Now try loading the .40 brass to 10mm length and a 10mm powder charge and firing them in your G20. Works great... Gives you a lot of flexibility when you can't find 10mm brass. Just remember to load to 10mm lengths when you put a 10mm charge in the case, otherwise you are risking overpressure if accidentally fire it in a .40 gun (and possibly even in the 10mm gun). All of this is what makes the Glock 10mm the most versatile 10mm out there.

The G20 gives you the best of both words. You have a gun built for 10mm pressures, but you can fire .40s in it without modification if you need to. Or if you prefer, with a simple barrel swap, you can convert it to a dedicated .40 or .357SIG gun. Or with a barrel and mag swap, you can convert it to a dedicated 9mm gun.

I suspect that it all boils down to whether you like Glocks or not. There are other guns that I like a lot better, but that's just because I'm an old fart and I believe that you dance with the one that brought you to the dance, but I have to admit that the Glock in 10mm is a very versatile choice. Now, if you could take a M1911 platform, make it a bit wider so that it could handle double-stack mags like the Para Ordnance P14-45, and give it an extractor like the Glocks where it headspaces on the extractor, I would definitely prefer that. I've been shooting M1911s for 40+ years -- it's hard to break old habits. I'm not a fan of the trigger safety that the Glock (and some others use), but I do carry one in 10mm these days and have yet to had an AD/ND and shoot myself.

More about me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast