Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: H&r 365

H&r 365

I was in a local pawn shop the other day and saw this 22rf rifle. It stood out from the rest so I had to look at it and was very impressed.

I went home and did some research on it and found that it was designed by Eugene Reising better known for his semi-auto designs and that they don't sell for much, just $80 - 120. The pawn shop was asking $85 + back ground of $10. I don't know how long they had it but, it must have been for a while. I couldn't stop thinking about it so, I went back and offered $75 out the door and they said yes . What could I loose?

They were only made for two years, '46 - '47. The following is what I liked about it:

1. They are the heaviest non target, bolt action 22rf single shot that I've found.

2. They are very well made. The action is 1.06 dia, the barrel starts at 1.0" in front of the receiver and tapers to .57 at the muzzle in 22". Bolt dia is .74 and has a man size bolt handle, too.

3. They come standard with a Lyman 55H, rear receiver sight.

4. This one has a 3# trigger pull and the LOP is 13 1/4".

Over all I think these are very under rated rifles. The only thing I don't care for is the aluminum trigger gard.

I'll do some accuracy test in the next two weeks and post the results.

Here is what it looks like:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2130012.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	79039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2130013.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	79040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2130014.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	79041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2130015.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	79042
    Last edited by frnkeore; 08-13-2013 at 02:52 AM.

Boolit Master
    I happen to be a peep sight nut. Some one might give you as much or more than you paid for the gun for just the sight. I hope you are a squrriel hunter. You obviously have a good eye
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Master

Sorry phone was slow this morning.

That is a beauty. I would rather buy old 22s than current one. If the barrel is still in good condition, I bet it is a real shooter. Congratulations on an excellent purchase.

wcp
    Last edited by wcp4570; 08-13-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Boolit Master

That is a beauty. I would rather buy old 22s than current one. If the barrel is still in good condition, I bet it is a real shooter. Congratulations on an excellent purchase.

wcp

Thank you both,
    I am a squirrel hunter (Digger Squirrles) but, since someone built on the property next to me, I can only use a shot gun now

I do like "real" guns and this one is in that catagory. This one is at least 66 years old and is still in excellent shape, a testiment to gun builders of the past.

I won't be able to try it out this week for accuracy but, I will next week, for sure. I've gotten pretty good accuracy with several other old rf's (Rem 33, Win 68, Win 69) they shot 2 1/2" to 1 5/8 @ 100 but, I'm hoping for better with this one, it's much heavier built. The lack of a scope will set me back some but, I'll add one later.

Frank

Boolit Master
    I have had decent results gluing on 22 scopes if you don't want to d&t.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Quote Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
    I have had decent results gluing on 22 scopes if you don't want to d&t.
    Yes, I'm thinking about that. I epoxied a scope block onto a Rem 33 a few months ago. There are pics in this section of it. I'll shoot it as is until winter, I think.

Frank

Boolit Master

Get some subsonic hollow points, be careful, and don't tell the neighbor !

Boolit Master

I had one like that. It was a bolt repeater, detachable magazine holding 10 rounds. It was marked on it 'TARGETTEER'. It was really accurate. The last time it was fired, my dad shot one of the semi-domestic ducks around his pond for my mom to cook. He shot it through the eye from about 100ft. Pop always was a good shot. At 200ft, I could regularly hit 8oz bean cans. I didn't shoot at paper targets. I got a kick of seeing those cans fall over. Instant gratification. Pap passed on last October, and I haven't seen that gun since. Probably never will. His 2nd wife didn't have much use for me (nor I her).