RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Mihec 316410 Rance Report

Boolit Grand Master

Mihec 316410 Rance Report

Ha! Of course that was supposed to read "Range Report"

Hahahahahahahahaha! I had fun today!

I took my son and 3 Lee Enfields out to the range along with 200 rounds of ammunition, some targets and apple juice jugs full of water.

We started out with targets and each shot a couple getting pretty reasonable accuracy of 2" or so at 50 yards then decided to dispatch the somewhat thicker skinned and much more aggressive apple juice jugs. I had planned on terminating some bothersome milk jugs but these apple juice jugs are much more menacing.

Well, they certainly aren't up to absorbing the Mihec 316410 deep hollow point boolit let me tell you!

Both jugs vapourized. I mean literally, when the boolit hit they were immediately dismembered and all that remained was a shattered exoskeleton and "rain" of internal organs.

I think to see any real details of the destruction would take video played back in slow motion. Very impressive performance!

So, the details:

boolit: Mihec 316410 plain base deep HP cast at 0.3155" loaded as cast ~ no sizing
    alloy: air cooled range scrap (somewhat brittle based on past results)
    lube: home made soap/grease lube hot tumble lubed
    powder: 20 grs. IMR4227
    filler:COW+ 1 teaspoon of graphite per cup of COW

boolits seated with the back edge of the front driving band at the case mouth so quite a bit of groove diameter boolit sticking into the long oversize throat.

I did not chronograph so velocity would be an estimate from reloading manuals.

We both shot several groups at 50 yards using two Lee Enfield No. 5's and one Lee Enfield #4. One No. 5 and the No. 4 both have scopes.

Accuracy ranged from tightest groups running 1 1/4" to some not so great groups of 3" or so. Since most of the groups were nice clusters and several of the smaller groups had tight clusters of 3 or 4 holes (best was 4 in 1/2") I have to think that pilot error played a part in the larger groups. In any case, I think the results were quite good and that this boolit is a success both in the accuracy department and also death to juice jugs. I know I am happy with my new mould!

Certainly these aren't world class groups but for a beat up old milsurp shot by a beat up old man, I think they did pretty well. photos attached.

The paint dot is about 3 1/8" in diameter.

I have not cleaned the guns yet so can't comment on leading but I will be surprised if I find any serious leading, partly due to the fact this lube seems to work well and partly due to the COW filler. Also, there was no sign of deteriorating accuracy.

All in all a fun day and good time with my son. He outshot me by the way. The tightest group was mine but he shot more small groups than I did.

Longbow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 316410 target_1.jpg   316410 target_2.jpg   316410 target_3.jpg   316410 target_4.jpg   316410 target_5.jpg  

316410 target_6.jpg   dismembered juice jugs.jpg  
    Last edited by longbow; 08-11-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Spelling