RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Single Six 32 bullet recomendations

Boolit Bub

Ruger Single Six 32 bullet recomendations

I recently came across a 9 1/2" Ruger single six in 32 mag. For being such a long barrelled gun, it just feels right in the hand. Funny thing is it sat in my local gun shop for about 4 months or better before I noticed it wasn't a 22.
    I'm looking for a good bullet for it. I have the Lee TL SWC but I don't care for the TL style or the size, as mine drops at .318. If Midway had the RCBS Keith style mould in stock that'd be where I'd lean. I want better performance on game than the round nose S&W Longs I had. SWC or WC preferred but I'm open to other's experiences.
    Haven't had the chance to group it yet, but I was hitting rocks the size of melons at 75 yds w/ regularity.
    Thanks, now for the eye candy...

Boolit Master
    I have had good luck with that swc , and at 75 gr it is a lead saver . I have a 6 cav , that was dropped, wish I could get another . I've sized it down to shoot in 30 carb rounds and worked well there too. I get grins shooting 32 acp in my 9" in the yard , as they are quiet .

Boolit Master

Lyman mould #311008 shoots very well in my single six.

As for WC boolits, they rarely perform well beyond 25-30 yds.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Nice. I can see why you thought it was a .22.
    Great score.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Saeco #325 is a 98-grain Keith style with large meplat, which is accurate and performs well on small game. I load 3 grains of Bullseye or 7 grs. of #2400 in H&R Mag. brass and either 2.5 grains of Bullseye orc6 grs. of #2400 in .32 S&W Long brass.

Boolit Grand Master

I have several .32's (mostly .32 H&R's but at least one .32 S&W Long). I have used a LOT of S&W Long cases in my .32 H&R Magnums with relatively light loads for target and edible small game. If the shots are fifty yards and under, the wadcutters work very well on both target and game. However, for all around use I like my Group Buy (six cavity Lee) 100 gr Keith in either case. If and when you can get one, the RCBS 98 gr SWC is a dandy, also. It has a lot to commend it except it is only available in a two cavity mould. I believe that Accurate Molds has a nice SWC. That's where I would look. In fact, I just checked and he has a 105 gr Keith that ought to be just what you want for your new revolver:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-105K-D.png

He reportedly gives quick service, excellent quality, and multiple cavity moulds in a couple of different metals. Sounds good to me

Dale53

Boolit Master
    I agree with the suggestions of the RCBS 98 GR SWC and the Saeco 325. I've got one of the 5.5" versions of the ruger, and it seems to like both of those bullets fairly well. It's all time favorite is probably the old ideal 31133, but those are hard to find. The 3118 or 311008 are the same bullet with a solid nose instead of the hollow point, and the ruger likes them pretty well too.

Another good one is the NOE Keith type in 115 grains, looks like he has a few in stock at the website.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Buddy
    I'll repeat for the Seaco 325. Mine is the 4 cavity & works in my Ruger & S&Ws.

Banned

my favorites have been the rcbs swc, the ballistic cast 105swc, ballistic cast 120 swcgc and the lbt 115 lfngc.

Boolit Master
    My first choice for 32 H&R Mag is the RCBS 32-98SWC which holds tight groups at all appropriate higher speeds. I also have an Ideal mold #31133, which is the #3118 (311008) but in hollow-point format. In spite of wanting and needing to test this boolit in the 32 Magnum, I simply haven't gotten around to getting it done. I can mention that when cast with straight WW alloy and loaded in the 30 Carbine caliber this boolit results in rather explosive performance.

Boolit Master
    The RCBS 98 gr-100 gr slug works great, I load it over 3 grs of WST & shoot lots of ground squirrels, rock chucks & grouse with it, very accurate.
    PM me if you need some.

Dick

Boolit Grand Master

All the above PB'd cast do well in the .32 H&R. However, if you want max performance at top end velocity from your SS then a GC'd cast is what you'll want. I use the Lyman 311316 at 1200 fps and the 313631 (SWC designed for the H&R) at 1350 fps out of my 6 1/2" SS Ruger. They run 1400 & 1600+ fps out of my 10" Contender. I'd guess you could run in between with your SS.

I use the Lee 90 gr SWC over 3.2 Bullseye for plinking and small edible game. Mine drops at .315 out of soft scrap alloy and I TL and size at .312 for my Ruger &Contender. Accuracy is excellent at 1000-1050 fps.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    I guess I should have mentioned that I'd be loading for both S&W L and Mags. Probably mostly S&W L as I have more brass for that.
    Those of you who load the 115 gr bullets, do you do so in the S&W L as well as the H&R mag?
    Also, looking through a half dozen reloading books, it seems the heaviest bullet listed is 100 gr. for both cartridges. I think I'd prefer to stay within that 100 gr. range as I don't consider myself qualified enough to experiment with load development for heavier bullets.
    Dale, the accurate mould looks pretty good but I think I've read EK's Sixguns too many times to overlook the skinny middle band on it. Thx

Boolit Master

RCBS 32-098. Done. Melt, pour, load, shoot, repeat......
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master
    If I could own only 1 mould for the 32 revolver (I currently have a half dozen or so with another on order) it would be either a 3118/311008 or 311316 in a double cavity Ideal or the oldest Lyman example I could find. JMHO, YMMV. My attitude may be influenced by the fact that I load for 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R semi-Magnum, and 327 Federal Magnum, but my bullets range from about 90 grains or so up to 125, and I'd have to split the difference if I only had one!

Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 4-cav NOE 314316 GC mold that casts well and shoots great in my Ruger SS & Marlin 1894. I mostly use W296 and HS6 with Starline 32H&R brass. I am waiting on a similar mold from MiHec, the 314640 HP GC 115gr. I have found a GC helps with higher velocity loads in this caliber.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Idaho

I use the 115 grain Laser-Cast bullet for the 32/20. Makes a great varmint bullet.

Boolit Bub
    A few of theses suggestions seem very promising. I'm quite interested in some of the older Lyman moulds. I'll keep my eyes open.
    Right now I'm on the lookout for the RCBS 32 SWC. Seems everybody is on backorder right now...
    If anybody is wanting to get rid of theirs let me know. (Fingers X'd)
    Or a WC mould...
    Thx.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm another fan of the RCBS 32-98-SWC. I would have to rank it the single-best boolit I've found to service the 32 SWL and the 32 Magnum. It shoots well from 700-1200 FPS, and has done so in several 32 SWL and 32 Magnum revolvers. I bought it originally to service my first 32 Magnum, a Ruger SSM like yours but having the 5.5" barrel. Ruger really should bring these back, but with the Blackhawk and GP-100 now chambered in 327 Federal......I'm not going to hold my breath. My RCBS mould casts these large enough to "clean up" in my .314" H&I die, which corresponds to the throat diameters of my Model 16-4 and my pre-war M&P in 32-20.

Regarding Lyman #313631, the SWC/GC intended for the 32 Magnum.....in both the 16-4 and the 30 Carbine Blackhawk, it really doesn't come into its own accuracy-wise until ran at 1100 FPS+. At 1350 FPS from the 16-4 and 1500+ from the BH, it is VERY impressive on paper and on varmints. Both loads/revolvers are louder than Hell's Drumline, too. Plugs and muffs for the ears are a good idea.

In general, I've found that 32 S&W Long and 32 Magnum revolver do better work with 90-100 grain boolits, and that 32-20s seem to prefer 110-120 grainers. My three 32-20s have preferred the heavier bullets, anyway.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Another vote for the RCBS 98gr SWC in the .32 Magnum. I have a Ruger Super Single-Six like yours, but with the 6-1/2" barrel. It loves the RCBS for moderate loads (up to factory pressures).

For heavier loads (above .32 Magnum factory pressures) I use the Hornady 85gr XTP. I took the Ruger up to 8.0gr of 2400, but had a little problem with ejecting them through the narrow ejection cutout. Too much drag. I polished the insides of the chambers with 1000 and 1500 sandpaper and reduced the load to 7.5gr and have no problems with ejection any more. I would not use this load in anything other than a Ruger, but have had no problems since polishing.

Like 9.3x62AL, my .32 Magnums prefer the lighter bullets (85 to 100gr) and my 32-20s prefer heavier bullets (100 to 120gr).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast