Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SP101 .327 for a small lady?

Boolit Master

SP101 .327 for a small lady?

Right now she has a Kahr K9 that I'm letting her borrow, and that seems to fit her small hands sufficiently well, but she cannot rack the slide, so that's obviously not a good solution for her.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of picking up a SP101 in .327 Federal for her to try, but I'd like to stick with semi-auto if there's any recommendations you may have.

I did notice the Springfield XDS banner above the forum and checked that out, and while I'm not a fan of the XD pistols in general (perhaps I'm just a Glock snob), that is a consideration. (The M&P Shield is out since a manual safety is a no-go for me for a striker-fire pistol.)

Hum, would Kahr's 45ACP line have an easier to rack slide? I'm not crazy about the Kahr trigger, but since this is for her, not for me, that's a bit moot.

Thanks

Boolit Master

The sp 101 in 327 are hard to find.
    I don't think Ruger made them over a year or two.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy
    They make lady Smith still. A 4 inch Mod.14 is a easy find in .38 special.Wad-cutters are deadly accurate,and make huge mushrooms at target loads.A pair of compaq grips are made for small hands.The 38 will only kick more than a 327 if loaded hot,and heavy.If mine need to defend herself in winter,I recommend the 38 as it will go through layers of clothing still reaching vitals.The 327 will not.Practice make confidence with any gun.
    The Ruger 101 is a pound heaver,and a bigger gun overall compared to the J-Frame smith.So small hands fit better.As a NRA firearms safety instructor I found women prefer the revolver over the auto in defensive weapons.In target shooting a semi auto 22LR is enjoyed in their hands.
    Last edited by Cosmiceyes; 07-18-2013 at 02:56 AM.
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

Boolit Master
    I bought my wife a SP 101 in 38/357. She does fine with it in 38. Haven't tried her on the 357's yet, but I figure it'll be ok as well as she shoots my Glock in 40 S&W with no problems.

If she is having problems racking a slide on a semi-auto. She would be better off with a smaller revolver in 38 spec. caliber. S&W and Ruger both make a excellant small size 38 spec. revolver that would serve as a house defense gun, and small & light enough that she would not mind carry it in her purse if she should decide later to obtain a concealed weapons permit.
    I have trained a lot of women in firearms as a firearms instructor and have found that on average most women prefer and do better with a smaller size revolver in 38. For practice wadcutter ammo is cheap and has light recoil that is comfortable enough that they injoy practicing with it. They can switch to 110-125 hollow points for their defense loads.

Moderator Emeritus

I just picked up a Walther PK380. I have arthritis and shoulder issues making heavy slides hard to pull back and this I can rack with 2 fingers.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I've had a SP-101 38/357 for about 10 years, .38 special is easy to shoot but the .357 mag can hammer your hand pretty bad.
    But not as bad as some of the 9mm compact pistols. You might consider a Lady Smith in 38 special, it is a bit lighter than the SP.

Boolit Grand Master

DON'T choose her pistol!! Take her to a range that rents them and have her shoot several until she finds what she likes and with which she is comfortable. Then buy one of those.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I use a Ruger LCR in 38 Special to teach the ladies. I suggest it for anyone, for a bedside table gun. Light, DA only, safe, easily carried in a purse, &cetera. They also make it in 22 MRF, and I am seriously considering it as preferable for the distaff side - not nearly the recoil, LOUD Bang, and flash, and capable of doing great bodily harm. Possible for the lady to shoot (and hit) 5 times, something not likely with the 38, or especially the 357. Granted, not the power of the CF cartridges, but a friend saved his own life, and several others, in Saigon when a VC popped into the bar he was in and started shooting. Jim ended it with his High Standard derringer.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned

"I'm not a fan of the XD pistols in general (perhaps I'm just a Glock snob), that is a consideration."

It is impossible to be a "Glock snob", a Glock fanboy yes or a Glock drone yes. I could see someone saying they are a (Insert name of custom) 1911 .45 acp snob or a Freedom Arms snob. I agree with the idea of letting her try out a few guns and let her choose.

I have a glock 21 & a couple of 1911, my small frame big top wife like to have the SP101 with plus P 38 specials when we need to tuck somethin away for trips.

I think the SP101 is a great choice but the 357mag pistol better selection

casca
    " BRING DOWN THIS WALL"
    President Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

A small frame 38S double action revolver that goes bang every time you pull the trigger is one of the best for a small woman. Little autos that require a slide pull to load are not ideal for a small female, and carry with a round in the chamber is not necessarily a smart move either. Small double action 38's hardly ever bind up, but small semi autos often to and require practice to clear.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master

I have all of the pistols you mention although the sp101 is 357. my wife is 5ft2in and 110lbs. She has no problem racking the slide on my k9 or her mk9 and her kahr cw45acp. If your wife can not I would not get an auto for her. The sp101 in 357 is a great gun. Use 38sp for practice and carry 357.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I like the sp101, but not a fan of snubs for inexp shooters. A 3" sp101 in 357mag, shooting 38s- is a better bet IMO, but that is me. Nothing smaller than a 9mm for a SD round. What I like about the rev is it can easily be made to fit any hand size. The DA pull does require more practice to be effective with, but can be learned. The downside to any rev is ammo cap, but for a HD gun, 5-6rds probably handles 95% of any situation in the home.
    FWIW, racking the slide does not require strength but proper technique. Teach her proper tech, any semi is easily handled.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

The OP is asking about an SP 101 in .327 Federal Mag. and I think that it is an excellent choice. The .327 Fed. has a lot more oomph and penetration than you might expect without the recoil of a .357 mag or even a .38 spl. +P. you also have the option of shooting .32 H&R Mag, .32 S&W Long, .32 S&W, and even .32 ACP. The .327 Fed is similar to shooting a .32-20 or .30 carbine.

If she carries for protection, go with a 38...not a 32.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

I purchased a SP101 for my carry piece, and my wife didn't have any troubles firing 38 Special loads out of it--but doubt she would want to shoot much 357. She did mention in the test batch loads I had made up of 158gr. SJHP's, that she noticed the recoil increase around mid-level loads. She didn't complain that it was too much, nor did it affect her accuracy.

Boolit Master

pdawg - Have you ever shot a .327 Federal Mag?

No, I have no use for sub-caliber hand guns.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    DON'T choose her pistol!! Take her to a range that rents them and have her shoot several until she finds what she likes and with which she is comfortable. Then buy one of those.
    +1 on that.

My concern with the 327 is it will be loud and crisp.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast