RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: Recomend bullet for a Sig 45

Boolit Master

Recomend bullet for a Sig 45

I loaded 1000 rounds of 45 for my son, he had just purchased a SIG 45 acp. I used a RCBS 230 grain round nose bullet @ 1.190 over all length.
    The gun fails to feed 3 to 4 rounds per magazine.
    I have another mold which is a 200 gr HP made by Eric.
    Does anybody else have this problem with SIG and I would appreciate a remedy

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Is it a 1911 ? or a P220, my Sig 1911 is fussy about mags, though I've been shooting 200SWC in mine.

Fred

Boolit Master
    Pistol is a 1911.
    I haven't seen the gun to look at the magazines.
    I used 4.8 grains of Win 231 and 4.4 grains of Unique.
    I have 2 different molds and also have a couple thousand powder coated. I just don't want to load any till I get feed back on maybe an over all length or a powder charge issue.

Boolit Master

In my friends Sig 1911 he uses my saeco 068 200gr swc , however it has a shorter barrel throat than most 45 acp barrels and the col has to be less than 1.250 col to function . the normal col of 1.255 to 1.265 is to long to chamber in his barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

H&G 68, 200 LSWC is a top performer in 1911s. Very close second is Lyman 452460. Both need
    to be set with about .030-.050" of full diameter shoulder outside the case and TAPER CRIMP AS A
    SEPARATE OPERATION to .465 to .470 mouth diameter.

Lack of TC or inadequate TC is THE most common problem with jams and failures to close
    with .45 ACP in 1911s.

I recommend 5.6gr W231 or 4.8 BE or TG under either boolit.

Set LOA by dropping sample rounds in the dismounted barrel. Round must drop
    freely into chamber to flush with hood, max 1 lb fingertip force to fully chamber.
    Watch out for boolit shoulder engaging the rifling and preventing full chambering,
    set shorter LOA by increments until LOA is correct for YOUR chamber, then set
    TC.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 08-06-2013 at 10:21 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy

Personally, I would step that load of Unique up to at least 5.0 grains. 5.5 grains would be even better. I suspect that the new spring is nice and tight still and your FtF's are being caused by the slide not making it all the way back to pick up a new round.

CPL Lou

Boolit Master
    My loaded rounds mike at .471 and pass the thunk test with no problem. I am going to change my Over all Length to 1.150 and increase charge to 5.5 to 5.8 grains of Unique. We'll see if the Sig can digest that.

Boolit Grand Master

Try tightening the TC a touch if you still have issues.

Bill

You're loading but he's doing the shooting out of your presence and giving you feedback by email, phone or some such? Nothing wrong with that, but your diagnosing and trying to remedy problems after the fact by remote control as it were is not the best situation to correct what's going on.

The very first thing I tell someone who approaches me with gun problems is bring your gun and ammunition to me. First is spec the ammunition, maybe break down a few and then actually fire it in his gun followed by some of mine.
    Last edited by ku4hx; 08-08-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    ku4hx
    You are 100 % correct

Boolit Grand Master

Well, duh! but this is a web site, not a range.

Bill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    H&G 68, 200 LSWC is a top performer in 1911s. Very close second is Lyman 452460. Both need
    to be set with about .030-.050" of full diameter shoulder outside the case and TAPER CRIMP AS A SEPARATE OPERATION to .465 to .470 mouth diameter. Lack of TC or inadequate TC is THE most common problem with jams and failures to close
    with .45 ACP in 1911s. I recommend 5.6gr W231 or 4.8 BE or TG under either boolit. Set LOA by dropping sample rounds in the dismounted barrel. Round must drop freely into chamber to flush with hood, max 1 lb fingertip force to fully chamber.
    Watch out for boolit shoulder engaging the rifling and preventing full chambering,
    TC. Bill
    [B]This is the answer. Just do this/B]

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    to be set with about .030-.050" of full diameter shoulder outside the case and TAPER CRIMP AS A SEPARATE OPERATION to .465 to .470 mouth diameter. Lack of TC or inadequate TC is THE most common problem with jams and failures to close
    with .45 ACP in 1911s. I recommend 5.6gr W231 or 4.8 BE or TG under either boolit. Set LOA by dropping sample rounds in the dismounted barrel. Round must drop freely into chamber to flush with hood, max 1 lb fingertip force to fully chamber.
    TC. Bill
    [B]This is the answer. Just do this/B]

Boolit Master

Every auto-pistol I have gets the feed ramp polished and barrel throated to enhance reliability. This may not solve your Sig problem, but it is a start. Theres no harm done in
    polishing the ramp, throat the barrel, in any case. Its money well spent. IIRC, Sig mags were made by MecGar/Italy. I never had any problems with their mags, in fact, I still use
    them in both of my 1911's currently.

Just food for thought.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

First how does it do with factory ammo?
    - second I'd pick a boolit that has similar shape to factory ammo.

Use the factory ammo as master gauge to set your dies with (OAL, Taper Crimp, etc).

I myself am now using 230 grain Truncated Cone design Boolits similar to the Hydroshock I use for Self Defense, for but years used 452460 Lyman.

You do know that you can use the 1911 barrel as a gauge to check ammo suitability - no Plunk = not right size.

And follow the other advise, it is all appropriate.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

The 231 load is on the light side, I like 5.2 for 230 gr. Light loads can FTF because the slide is not retracing to the full extent for reliable feeding, the recoil spring is not fully comressed so less power available for feeding. Just a thought....
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Banned

the light unique loads could just be the entire problem.
    I hang out in the 6 gr range with the front of the boolits shoulder right even with the case mouth with either the H&G copy or the lyman bill mentioned above.
    for one of my 1911's I bump the case mouth against a roll crimp just enough to kiss the case mouth.