Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh elk heart for dinner

Fresh elk heart for dinner

My neighbor and I managed to score on our antler-less elk tags Sunday morning. We were "in position" at a little before 0500 and waited patiently for the elk to exit the field of lentils they were devouring and head back to the timber. We were sitting in a swale of crp between two wheat fields. At about 0530 here they came. I remained crouched in the grass waiting for Loren to shoot, that seemed to take forever, but in all reality was probably less than 90 seconds. I could not see him even though we were only 20 feet apart. Was waiting out of common courtesy as we were on his family's ground. Finally, he shot, there were about 35 head in front of us that blew up and did an about face heading back where they came from. I was trying to get one singled out and didn't have much luck, but finally they stopped to look back and I zeroed in on a nice fat cow and let fly. Away they went again. Loren asked if I had connected and I assured him I did, but she didn't lay down. He said he was sure of his shot too but had lost her in the melee. A few minutes searching and we had 'em both located, his had gone about 30 yds. and mine about 40 yds. We tagged and dressed them, then back to the pick-up to retrieve the 4-wheeler and drug them back, about a half mile. Then we cheated and went up to the ranch and got the John Deere, rolled 'em in the bucket and dumped into the pick-up. Back to my place for the hanging and skinning party and we had them skun, quartered , and hanging in the cooler before noon. The heart made for excellent dinner this evening. I also have to fess up as I did not use cast. Had been hunting solely with my .356 and cast up till then, but I knew that morning I could be faced with some long range stuff very easily, so I opted for my Ruger 1B in .270 with Hornady 130 gr. interlocks--it is a proven load out farther than one should shoot, stiff load of H4831. He was using a .270 as well, and funny thing, we both severed arteries at the top of the heart. Was a great day, now I am getting knives sharpened and cutting area cleaned up to process them next week. JW

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats.....so jealous, it's been about 4-5 years since I've made it Elk hunting. Idaho was a great hunt.
    NRA Life member
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home Instructor
    NRA Reloading Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    ISP Certified CC Instructor w/approved curriculum and own private range

Just remember.....there is always room in the safe for one more, if not....get another safe!

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome deal. Our cow hunt doesn't start till 1st of Sept. The wife and I both drew tags. Fresh elk heart Mmmm. Good for you guys. Enjoy your feast.

Boolit Master
    Same here Sept 1 for me and I'm jealous.

Nobody that has every had to haul out an Elk will blame you for cheating with the John Deer!

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    What n'hxxx are your mules supposed to do for exercise...??? Got to say though,your meat will likely taste just as good,as if you had packed it out from some drainage of Moose Creek upstream from the ranger station... Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

onceabull, done it that way too many times, mules and their captain both need a rest. Trust me, the John Deere method is much easier. Did you know that they are making elk much heavier these days?? I use to be able to take a mantied up quarter, lift it up to the decker, balance it on one knee and get it all tied on, then do the same thing 3 more times all in about half an hours time if the mules were cooperative. I think that same job would take me two hours or more these days. I tell ya, I thought I was gonna get a hernia just wrestling those two around to get 'em dressed out. JW

I think the last time I did the elk loading job solo was on Edna Creek,so long ago that I could have fought legally as a middleweight...Now I'm not certain I could stand the ride into that place...Onceabull

Boolit Master
    Nice goin' JW! I would love to be able to get to my downed elk with a John Deere. Mine always seem to expire at the bottom of an elevator shaft that Otis or Montgomery would be proud of! Tuff to get old ain't it? My son is 45 now, and he's finding it harder to pack out now than a few years ago. Now, when I get something down, I get on the radio, mumble something about heart pills, and wait for the boy to find me and the downed elk or deer!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Mule View Post
    .... I opted for my Ruger 1B in .270 with Hornady 130 gr. interlocks--it is a proven load out farther than one should shoot..... JW
    Ruger 1B, Check
    130gr Interlocks, Check

been my exact setup for whitetails and elk for many years.

only recently working at changing up to a 35 whelen
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

nanuk, thanks for the back-up on gun and load, it is very deadly when placed in the right spot. I gotta add tho, if you are shooting a 35 Whelen, quiz NVcurmudgen a bit. That man has some good information and loads that shoot very well out of his gun. He let me shoot his gun and loads for score at the NCBS this spring and trust me, he has it all lined out. I am not nearly as good of a shooter as some, but I did well with his stuff. JW

Boolit Master
    Elk in mid August can be a real pain, I'm sure that John Deere was a welcome sight! Good job all around.

Dick

Boolit Master
    So much for the 270 being just a deer gun!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    So much for the 270 being just a deer gun!
    Yes, the 270 is an elk killing machine. It would be a close toss-up in the state of Idaho between 270 and 30-06 kills I am sure. For that matter, the little 25-06 is a very fine elk killing machine too, in the right hands. That statement could light some fires, but then some people like to kill elk and some like to hunt them, take your pick. JW

Boolit Master
    I have never killed an Elk but have always wanted to. One just doesn't find them in Maryland, tax's are to dam high so they all moved out west!!!

If you guys have the time go to the cooking forum and post how you cook elk heart. that would be a really great thing to know, and probably work with other animals.

Boolit Master
    Nobody can rag about the 270 on elk, its a proven winner, took my first 6 elk with one using a 130 gr. Hornday flatbase & 4350 powder. One bull raised his head for a second in the Selway so I gave him a finisher....so 6 elk with 7 shots, yup the 270 is great on elk.

Dick

Boolit Master

Good job!!! I get to go out on Saturday. I am using a longbow and wood arrows.

270 Win. for ELK !!! looks as though the Jack O'C. influence has forded the Clearwater,and infected the Palouse Country... Onceabull

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    So now I have to explain why I slobbered on the keyboard !
    Mike in Peru ... Where dog and cat are not frowned upon.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Bub
    Congratulations! Nothing wrong with a little assist in packing them out. I still have a photo of a Potlatch company crew with 4 bulls hanging on the side of a Madill yarder.

Boolit Master

IM

When I see a post from you, I know the chronicle of "Good Times" is soon to follow.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!