Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: RCBS alphabetic date code

RCBS alphabetic date code

If anybody has been wondering about the RCBS alphabetic date codes on their dies, A was 1949. You can figure it out from there.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I just looked at all my die sets, and cannot find any date code on any of them. Did they only do that for the first 26 years?

My earliest set (30-30), bought in the 70's still has the price sticker on the box - $16

Boolit Master
    My JR 3 press is stamped 75, while the Rockchucker II is stamped with an R, which would equate to 1966. All my RCBS dies have two digit dates stamped on them.

Boolit Master
    What about the date code for the later die sets with letters?
    I have early sets with letters, then two digit dates and then later model dies with letters that came in bar coded boxes.
    EDG

RCBS stamped the top of their dies with a letter beginning in "A" in 1949 and ending with "P" in 1965. There after that used the last two digits of the year, 66, 67, 67 and so forth. I have not bought any new RCBS dies lately but all I have are dated either with a letter or two digits.

I know nothing about dates on presses.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    If "A" was in 49 "P" would be in 64. Unless my calculations are wrong.

Just Saying

THANKS
    DOWNWIND

Boolit Master
    I have an older series 41 Mag trim die that has the date code Q stamped on it. I wonder if they might have used both letter and number codes on the year of the change over to numbers.

I have not bought "new" dies either but I have bought newer used dies including some with a letter stamped on the top in the bar coded box and even later dies maked with a number in a belt line round the die between the knurling and threads. There is no marking on the top of these dies.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I have a 41 Magnum trim die with date code Q = 1965 or 66 depending on the start date of 49 or 50.

I have other dies that are number coded 64, 65, 66.

Anyone know if RCBS had 2 different date code systems at the same time or why it appears they over lap????

Older RCBS boxes usually have a 2 digit date code too.
    However that code is a little bit of subtrefuge - the digits are backwards.
    A box which originally came with 76 dies will say 67.
    EDG

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    RCBS stamped the top of their dies with a letter beginning in "A" in 1949 and ending with "P" in 1965. There after that used the last two digits of the year, 66, 67, 67 and so forth. I have not bought any new RCBS dies lately but all I have are dated either with a letter or two digits.

I know nothing about dates on presses.
    Char-Gar, my one resident RCBS press is a RS 3 that was given to me by RCBS in 1988. It has 88 stamped into the top of the press right next to the die hole. I believe that I have cracked the code! I promptly gave my bought in 1963 Junior press to a friend, who used it until he was called home in 2011.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon