Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating 101 - Electrostatic Method

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e00b573139e2acb3988da065079db7f6_zps0d28997a.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	81745
    First trial with PC in my P94 40 cal at 15 yards .Ran to the range on my way home from work and literally ran in to shoot one magazine. I'm pretty happy with them. Now I need to try them in my match pistol.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master
    500 mag, I just sized some of the bullets you coated for me. The shiny green sure sizes down smoother than the matte black. I had to use some case lube on the black to keep them from seizing in my Lyman sizer, the green went thru with no lube.
    I wonder if that makes a difference in the barrel too?

Has anyone noticed any differences in performance based on matte vs shiny coat finish?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    500 mag, I just sized some of the bullets you coated for me. The shiny green sure sizes down smoother than the matte black. I had to use some case lube on the black to keep them from seizing in my Lyman sizer, the green went thru with no lube.
    I wonder if that makes a difference in the barrel too?

Has anyone noticed any differences in performance based on matte vs shiny coat finish?
    Wow, that's surprising. They resized fine for the 40 cals. I am going to be doing some of the 312-155's and see if there is a difference. Wish I would have done more of the green for you.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master
    Not a problem. I was surprised too. Both seem to have the same thickness coating, it must be the surface finish.

I was happy to see that the bullets were only very slightly annealed in curing the coating. They started at 25 BHn and are still at 22. Tha should help them handle some speed better.

Rifle shooting bring a whole different set of requirements. Alloy strength is more important as speed get higher but a hard, brittle bullet is worthless for most hunting.

Oh Brad, you're getting sucked in. You'll never be the same and it'll be years before you can get back to normal.
    Rich

Boolit Grand Master
    Rich, I am afraid of just that!

I am very intrigued by this stuff. Heck, even if just for pistol the ability to get rid of the grunge from bullet lube. I can have pistols stay cleaner, longer.

I hope the other amigos don't kick me out for this.......

They won't. Ian is thinking about it already and Lamar's gears are turning also. You're safe I think.
    Rich

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes! I am ahead of the curve! For once

This stuff has mucho promise, it just needs more testing to see what it can really do

I don't do the rifles yet, but my pistols, 357, 44, and 454 love it. I have a 475 Linbaugh coming in a couple of weeks that will get some testing also. I have been packing a couple of PC bullets in my pocket for better than a week with keys, change, and a couple of knives and the coating is still like I just did it.
    Rich

Boolit Grand Master

This is very interesting. Has anyone compared powder to epoxy coating as I was going to try that
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    This is very interesting. Has anyone compared powder to epoxy coating as I was going to try that
    Been there..................done that!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-lets-find-out

I will stick to ES PC.

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Noticed when cleaning the AR that there is a pretty good buildup of PC at the crown inside the flash hider. Can't be good for accuracy. I'll try a dental pic to get it out. Got to drop back on the load so I don't get more buildup.
    I took the flash hider off the blackout for that reason. It wasn't even the PC boolits as much as it was the lead. Put a thread protector on the muzzle. It was worse with a muzzle break. Put the muzzle brake on the 6.5 Grendel.

Boolit Master
    I don't see why not if you have a 16 inch or longer barrel. They don't need to be pinned or welded after the assault weapons ban sunset if your barrel is long enough. I picked up my thread protector from borwnells, but any 5/8x24 tread protector will work. I actually got my thread protector before my flash hider because it was cheaper when I built the rifle.

Planned on a baking session tonight, flipped on the compressor....motor seized immediately. Had an 8 gallon. I'm thinking one of the little 1/3hp 3 gallon should fit my needs. All I do is PC and pump up tires. This little guy maybe: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Campbell-H...essor/12534870. Funds are pretty tight right now.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a $39 pancake compressor from Harbor Freight. Works just fine. They have them on sale almost every day! Nothing you would use for your daily job, but perfect for our powder spraying every so often!

bangerjim

Boolit Master

Boolit Mold
    Popper, make sure to put your blocks on the barrel as close to the FH as possible. V- notch wood blocks work fine. Some will tell you to use receiver blocks instead, but this is wrong. Double check to make sure it's not welded, soldered or pinned and FWIW, I have found some flash hiders on way tight so go slow with steady pressure.

Just in case anyone doubts the tenacity of ES gun applied powder coat sticking to lead.
    45acp 230gn RN, TL grooves coated with gloss black PC. (sized to .451, crimp .468/.469 and I use a Lee FCD)
    Shot through 24 inches of red rubber mulch and hitting a 3/8" steel plate. Accuracy at the range is as good as I can get with my Colt Gold Cup. No leading at all in my GC or Mac semi auto clone after many hundreds of rounds.
    Also no leading in my XDS... before it was recalled.

Name:	splat.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	83580
    Last edited by MacFan; 10-09-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MacFan View Post
    Just in case anyone doubts the tenacity of ES gun applied powder coat sticking to lead.
    45acp 230gn RN, TL grooves coated with gloss black PC. (sized to .451, crimp .468/.469 and I use a Lee FCD)
    Shot through 24 inches of red rubber mulch and hitting a 3/8" steel plate. Accuracy at the range is as good as I can get with my Colt Gold Cup. No leading at all in my GC or Mac semi auto clone after many hundreds of rounds.

Name:	splat.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	83580
    A picture is worth a thousand words!

Now mabe some of the "classic" greasy lube nay-sayers will start to admit that ES PC does work.....very well! I have no way of recovering my spend slugs (indoor range) and welcome any pix you guys can share of what you are finding!

I know I get no leading and no PC residue in my guns. And no lube grease smoke!

THANKS for sharing.

banger

New tip...I got the bright idea to powder coat over my pop can gas checks sitting upright on non-stick aluminum foil. I thought it would lock down the check better. Now I have 500 paper weights. The excess pc flashing that normally comes right off in a push through sizer mangles the gas check and causes major sticking issues in the sizer. Won't do that again.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast