MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating 101 - Electrostatic Method

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    Just cleaned my barrel. It was just burnt powder except for a small amount of PC residue at the throat in the lower left corner. The rest of the barrel was perfect. This is with the H/F flat black. I bet if I just did a mild tumble after PC with a tiny amount of JPW it wouldn't be there.

I believe you will be the first one to use JPW on PC's slugs. I have thought about it but not sure what the reaction would be in the coating. Soften/dissolve over a period of time?

Please .......let us all know your results!!!!!! That little bit of lube may be the trick.

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I believe you will be the first one to use JPW on PC's slugs. I have thought about it but not sure what the reaction would be in the coating. Soften/dissolve over a period of time?

Please .......let us all know your results!!!!!! That little bit of lube may be the trick.

bangerjim
    Good point. I had not thought about any reaction because of the epoxy's ability to resist them seems "good enough" to fight off the solvent in JPW. But I could have it wrong, and it does need to be tested. I need to cast more Mihec 200 grain 45's to test it out in the Glock, but I do have some of the Mihec 125 grain 9mm's here that I can coat with JPW tonight, and leave them for a week or so. The amount I am going to use will be just enough to skin the boolit PC, not really as a lube as much as a friction modifier for the first cm or so down the barrel.

I thought about it too after watching the auto epoxy guy on YouTube a few months back. Have not tried it yet. Worst it could do is a little smoke....please do tell on results.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1cbfeac8606e975c2a176b662e366535_zpsf2d288eb.jpg 
Views:	1128 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	81249

First batch!
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master
    Zombie killers?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Zombie killers?
    Yeah, you'll see soon enough.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Damm those are purty 500! Just today I received a pound of PBTP candy lime green, I hope it's what you used!
    Are those white noses? How'd you do that?
    Bill
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by el34 View Post
    Damm those are purty 500! Just today I received a pound of PBTP candy lime green, I hope it's what you used!
    Are those white noses? How'd you do that?
    Bill
    No, just light reflecting off the gloss. I got this color off of eBay. It's a neon green. I'm going to be trying some crazy things with the colors. I have to say that it has turned out to be a rather easy process.
    Theodore Roosevelt

My first time was last Monday, I did 3 small batches. The first one left stuck-on foil and I threw most back in the pot. For the next ones I used the non-stick foil (bangerjim I think) and set them on 6-32 nuts, somebody else's tip. Those came out great. Later today I'm going to WM and get the big Black&Decker convection toaster oven I checked out, $50. Then try to figger out how to put 3 layers in it. Tomorrow I plan to try the candy neon green and the hot candy blue that came today. Someday I'll shoot some, after getting over the new fun of it.

It'd be interesting to know how they work for you, and when or if you size them.

Bill
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Master

My first time was last Monday, I did 3 small batches. The first one left stuck-on foil and I threw most back in the pot. For the next ones I used the non-stick foil (bangerjim I think) and set them on 6-32 nuts, somebody else's tip. Those came out great. Later today I'm going to WM and get the big Black&Decker convection toaster oven I checked out, $50. Then try to figger out how to put 3 layers in it. Tomorrow I plan to try the candy neon green and the hot candy blue that came today. Someday I'll shoot some, after getting over the new fun of it.

It'd be interesting to know how they work for you, and when or if you size them.

Bill
    Picked up my toaster oven at the thrift store for $5. Cut a couple of cookie sheets in half and covered with nonstick foil. While one set is in the oven I'm powdering and getting other sets ready. It goes pretty quick. I sized with the lee sizer before coating and don't intend on resizing. Funny, I was close to giving all my push through sizers away because I haven't used them in years once I got my 450.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

I'm trying to find more toaster oven pans. The one pan mine came with is 11" by 13" and it seems to be an impossible to find size.

Can anyone point me to some?

I did find a place that wants $25 for them and that seems ridiculous. If I keep baking boolits then I wanted to add a second oven with both running three trays at a time. No way am I paying $100 for pans...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    I'm trying to find more toaster oven pans. The one pan mine came with is 11" by 13" and it seems to be an impossible to find size.

Can anyone point me to some?

I did find a place that wants $25 for them and that seems ridiculous. If I keep baking boolits then I wanted to add a second oven with both running three trays at a time. No way am I paying $100 for pans...
    Like I said. I took a large Walmart cookie sheet and cut it into two halves that fit perfectly.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by 500MAG View Post
    I took a large Walmart cookie sheet and cut it into two halves that fit perfectly.
    10-4. Maybe or maybe not a few 1/2" holes poked in them for the air to spread around.

Did you size them dry? The only time I tried it was apparent Lee's instructions to lube first were probably right. But then you'd have to clean it off. I tried sizinga few after the PC but it took a lot of force and a little coating came off, maybe along with lead rubbed off by the sizer.
    Last edited by el34; 09-07-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Boolit Master

10-4. Maybe or maybe not a few 1/2" holes poked in them for the air to spread around.

Did you size them dry? The only time I tried it was apparent Lee's instructions to lube first were probably right. But then you'd have to clean it off. I tried sizinga few after the PC but it took a lot of force and a little coating came off, maybe along with lead rubbed off by the sizer.
    I put a little dab of mystery oil on a rag and wipe them over the boolit before I run it thru, the acetone cuts that right off after sizing.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

I toss back anything that fails sizing. If the coating can't handle sizing then I figure it's not going to handle shooting either. I try to let both the epoxy coated and the powder coat coated stuff set for at least a day to allow either coating to fully cure before sizing. I've only once tried adding a bit of JPW to some that were still warm and tumbled them and yes it did help the sizing a small bit but I'm trying to avoid anything that will cause buildup in the seating die.

Boolit Grand Master

I size DRY after casting AND after powder coating (ES gun). My molds drop slugs almost perfect, so there is really no drag on the 1st size, but I do it just to make sure there are not any "ringers" in there. The 2nd size after the coating has a bit of resistance but does NOT remove any of the flat black coating. It only makes it slightly shiny on the tops of the grease grooves.

I do not use ANY lube for sizing, as it will keep the coating from sticking in the 1st place and I have done absolutely no research if it will soften the PC coating over time when left in the grease grooves.

Remember, your sizing die is MUCH harder than the lead or coating.....you are not pushing it thru at sonic velocities.....so you will NOT "lead" your die!

Forget about the Lee directions that came with the sizing die and the bottle of Alox! If you are doing gun PC'ing, you have moved way beyond using that "burnt grease" (alox) on your boolits!

bangerjim

I do exactly the same as Bangerjim. First time through, Im just removing any imperfections in the boolit, 2nd time Im actually sizing. Nothing should come off, and there is very little effort the 2nd pass.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I size DRY after casting AND after powder coating (ES gun). My molds drop slugs almost perfect, so there is really no drag on the 1st size, but I do it just to make sure there are not any "ringers" in there. The 2nd size after the coating has a bit of resistance but does NOT remove any of the flat black coating. It only makes it slightly shiny on the tops of the grease grooves.

I do not use ANY lube for sizing, as it will keep the coating from sticking in the 1st place and I have done absolutely no research if it will soften the PC coating over time when left in the grease grooves.

Remember, your sizing die is MUCH harder than the lead or coating.....you are not pushing it thru at sonic velocities.....so you will NOT "lead" your die!

Forget about the Lee directions that came with the sizing die and the bottle of Alox! If you are doing gun PC'ing, you have moved way beyond using that "burnt grease" (alox) on your boolits!

bangerjim
    Thanks jim, that was solid advice. Lee says to size lubed or the die will lead. My "question everything" attitude made me try but it was tough so forevermore I Recluse'd before and after sizing.

I don't want to worry about lube screwing up the ES PC so based on your experience I'll try dry sizing some tonight. At worst I can try the mystery oil w/acetone cleanup.

I didn't plan to size after the PC but I'll measure final diameter and stay under 0.002 over.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks jim, that was solid advice. Lee says to size lubed or the die will lead. My "question everything" attitude made me try but it was tough so forevermore I Recluse'd before and after sizing.

I don't want to worry about lube screwing up the ES PC so based on your experience I'll try dry sizing some tonight. At worst I can try the mystery oil w/acetone cleanup.

I didn't plan to size after the PC but I'll measure final diameter and stay under 0.002 over.

Bill
    The dia should only be about a thou or so larger after PC. But I size that 2nd time as a check on the "solidity" of my PC coatings. You never know if a few could get loaded on the spray rack with some stray grease from your hands that will prevent the PC from sticking. You will never know unless you run them thru the die. I HAVE found a few......not many....that the coating DID come off in spots that were caused by grease non-adherence and not from wear/scraping simply from the die.

And it only takes a few minutes to size them that 2nd time!

bangerjim

Boolit Master

I wasn't going to size a second time but changed my mind. The second run through also helps to take off any burrs from where they stick to the foil. Didn't get any rub off with second sizing.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast