Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating 101 - Electrostatic Method

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Yes Beagle some people are very strong worded sometimes and that's a FACT. Mounting a fan to move the air around would not require mounting the motor in the heated area only thing needs to be there is the fan. I remember that thread I think I even commented on it with some thoughts. We if we do not try things I guess we would all be buying loaded ammo because that's what someone said it had to be and not to waste our time.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

http://
    My new stove I had to replace the lower burner checked the temp seems to run real close to settings depends on where its checked. My look into a fan to move things around to even the heat out or the tile trick maybe. Powder coated a few items in it today which turned out good.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Lookit that behemoth!!! I likey!! You have done gone pro now.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Jeez RP that is some rig you have there partner. The only problem I see is once a year you are going to have to recall how to coat bullets. With that rig a weekend of casting followed by a week end of coating and you and your neighbours would have enough bullets to cause a tilt in the earth's orbit.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Not just for bullets you do know you can PC other things. I PC two guns this weekend and some boat seat mounts and a yard bell lol. A word of advice for everyone make sure it fits in the oven before you glass bead it and spray had a real close call on my rifle not fitting just did get it in.

RP you just have to post pictures of those guns. Just a Mod rule #563 Section2, Para 55. Look it up!

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

a few pics to see what I did to the PTR 91

Sprayed with OD green I like it and sure is a lot more durable then what was on it.

Looks way different than it did before RP, looks good.
    Sully

Very nice indeed. I have had a few pistols that could have used that process over the past few years.

Take Care

Bob

OK after initial success with my 38spl bullets and loads I have hit a wall. I was out today with my 9mm and after 10 rounds in a CZ and an M&P the barrels were either beginning to lead or accumulate coating. I closely examined the small amount of debris in each barrel and there was some discernibly leading. I then pulled several bullets and found coating had rubbed off of the driving bands. Not all of it but just small patches mostly on the top band. Could this be caused by the expander plug on the depriming die? The 9mm bullets passed the crush test. These bullets were coated with PBTP powder.

I should add I loaded several 9MM rds, after increasing the amount of initial belling, and the rubbing was still in evidence.

Thoughts?

I will have HI-TEK product in my hands this week and suspect I will have much better results with that product. In the meantime I have quite a few 9MM bullets to apply regular lube and shoot.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master

Be sure you aren't shaving the coating off when seating the bullets. When I first used a plated bullet I shaved some off because I didn't adjust from seating jacketed. PC is tough stuff but that case mouth has to be open enough to not cut into it. Also, you don't want to crimp so hard you are breaking the coating. I've found it's just easier to do all of the above if I seat and crimp in two steps instead of the usual one.

Maximumbob54 I couldn't put more belling on the case without splitting the case. The coating is not shaving off it is rubbing off. Likely my mistake in how I baked the product in the first place. I seem to have solved the issue with the 38spl bullets and I will try one more time with PCing before switching over to the HI-TEK product which is less expensive and less work.

I have pulled bullets before and after crimping with the same result. Yhe 9MM just gets a taper crimp so there is no chance of cutting into the coating.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master

I agree with MaxBob on his comments above. One other thing, and I can't stress this enough, get yourself a decent expander die such as a Lyman "M" die it expands without belling unless you want a bell, then it will also bell the case when set properly. If you processed the cast pills properly, i.e. enough heat + time, the technique is essentially fool proof.

Boolit Master

Sorry to say it but you must be doing it wrong if the PC is rubbing off. I got lucky with my toaster oven being close enough to the right temp but I've read about some wild temp swings some of them can have. Maybe yours isn't getting hot enough and thus it isn't adhering to the lead. That's my guess since I've cooked some hot enough to melt the lead and the coating still held.

I still have yet to try the Hi-Tech but from reading through the various threads I don't see how it can be easier than PC. If you have the right PC then you can dry tumble with the BB's, set them on parchment paper or non stick foil, bake and done. The cheap HF gloss red works best from the HF selection but I just ordered some of Smoke's powder to try after hearing over and over how much better it is. You might try some as well.

As posted on the 9mm leading thread. Take the sharp edge off top of case left with the M-die using the Lee universal expander. GP

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Bob=======something is wrong with your process if the coating is "rubbing" off. Please check for grease/oil contamination on the bare boolits B4 coating, oven temp and time baked, and size of boolit for case. I have never had the coating just rub off. I have seen it scraped off by too much crimp. I always pull a few during the first phases of loading a new boolit design to check for that.

Also I always chamfer the mouth of brass to eliminate any burr that can build up on the inside. The outside may be smooth from the crimp die, but you can have a burr on the inside.

If you are seeing bare lead on the tops of the grease grooves, then you may/will get leading.

Best of luck to you in finding your problems.

bnager-j

Banned

I'm in! Got a Harbor Freight static powder blower, zapped myself pretty good once, and made some purdy black bullets.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BulletFactory View Post
    zapped myself pretty good once
    At least I'm not the only one...

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Bob=======something is wrong with your process if the coating is "rubbing" off. Please check for grease/oil contamination on the bare boolits B4 coating, oven temp and time baked, and size of boolit for case. I have never had the coating just rub off. I have seen it scraped off by too much crimp. I always pull a few during the first phases of loading a new boolit design to check for that.

Also I always chamfer the mouth of brass to eliminate any burr that can build up on the inside. The outside may be smooth from the crimp die, but you can have a burr on the inside.

If you are seeing bare lead on the tops of the grease grooves, then you may/will get leading.

Best of luck to you in finding your problems.

bnager-j
    You are right Jim. I intend to clean the bullets with acetone, let them dry etc and then go through the steps. It has to involve one of the two items you mentioned. I suspect the oven time but contamination could also be involved. I'll solve it.

Take Care

Bob

Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast