Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating 101 - Electrostatic Method

I just throw any bad ones back in the pot and re melt. I don't know of any good way to reclaim the powder that winds up on the tray.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Boolit Mold
    The powder on the tray is such an insignificant amount, reclaiming would be pointless. My question to the OP: what has your experience with the Harbor Freight/Chicago powder coating gun? Is it worth the money?

Boolit Master

Great thread. Thanks
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedley Accurate View Post
    The powder on the tray is such an insignificant amount, reclaiming would be pointless. My question to the OP: what has your experience with the Harbor Freight/Chicago powder coating gun? Is it worth the money?
    Are beautiful, perfectly coated, easy-to-coat with 1 coat, hard as nails, leading-free, no lube mess boolits worth $59 - 20%?

HECK YES!

bangerjim

Boolit Master

Just ordered the Powder coating Gun System from Harbor Freight and I used a coupon code I found and it saved me 25% the code is 65149244
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Are beautiful, perfectly coated, easy-to-coat with 1 coat, hard as nails, leading-free, no lube mess boolits worth $59 - 20%?

HECK YES!

bangerjim
    Well I guess I know what to add to my birthday Wish list for Oct 18!

I've used it for 3 months without a problem. I'm sure the high end guns are better, but for this purpose the HF gun works just fine. I did put too much pressure to the gun and popped the little gadget that keeps water out of the air. I also attached one of the little pressure regulators to the gun itself. It's easier to adjust than the brass knob on the gun.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KYShooter73 View Post
    I've used it for 3 months without a problem. I'm sure the high end guns are better, but for this purpose the HF gun works just fine. I did put too much pressure to the gun and popped the little gadget that keeps water out of the air. I also attached one of the little pressure regulators to the gun itself. It's easier to adjust than the brass knob on the gun.
    HF sells a little REAL pressure regulator (not just a flow regulator) with a gauge for around $6. Works great for this gun.

bangerjim

Boolit Bub
    The uncoated base won't cause a problem if you lay round nose bullets flat on a pan?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NTD View Post
    The uncoated base won't cause a problem if you lay round nose bullets flat on a pan?
    Not quite sure what your are asking, but uncoated bases are NOT a problem if you are sub-sonic. All standard lead alloy boolits using conventional lube methods are ALL bare bottom....sides...ends....nose....everthing. If you are pushing high velocites, then you need to GC your coated slugs just as you would with any standard lubed lead.

But laying a previously baked slug on it's side and baking again will not re-liquify the coating.

Let me know if that answers your question.

bangerjim

Boolit Bub
    It does answer my question, and makes sense. If I had thought it through before clicking reply I would have realized that. Thanks.

bangerjim , you beat me to it.

I have an IPSC race gun that I used to shoot jacketed with exposed lead core base that would lead my muzzle brake pretty bad

Can't wait to try this. Going to HF next week. Thanks for the good "how to"

Ok, so I got the Eastwood Hotcoat setup. The two guns I was having trouble with are a 454 with Mcgowen barrel and a Dan Wesson 357. Worked great in the 357, but failed in the 454. The last 3" or so of the 454 starts building lead within as few as 5 shots. The alloy is water dropped clip on wheel weights. Load is 300 gr Lee flatnose with 30.5 gr of H110 pushing it. Cured the powder at 425 for 20 min. Is there something I am doing wrong? If I missed something please let me know.

Thanks.
    Rich

Boolit Master
    Lead in a barrel usually means the gas is passing the bullet as it travels down the barrel.

Try a bullet about .002 " bigger in diameter, or install a gas check, if it is a plan or bevel base a cola
    can thickness .004" might work.

A gas check wold be the best solution.

Sorry, I missed that. They are checked. I do get little rings of PC in the cylinder right at the start of the throat also. This kinda tells me that it might be pealing off in the throat also. I am already sizing to .452" to get them through the throats. Maybe too much preassure spike and obturation in the case? These loads do feel much snappier than with regular lubed bullets. Keep the suggestions and theories coming. I would like to get the 454 shooting these things with all of the investment.
    Rich

Take a couple of your boolits and pound them with a hammer and see if the powder coat flakes off. It should crack some as the lead flattens and stretches, but very little should come off. I have just a suspicion that over cooking can make the powder coat more brittle, and reduce adhesion. If you get flaking, try dropping your bake temp a little. Nobody is an expert at this stuff yet. What kind of powder are you using?
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

I'm using the Eastwood powder. I might just try that. It does seem kinda brittle when I am popping them off of the foil.
    Rich

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Ya know, I am going to advise you guys to patent these methods, before some major manufacturer snatches them. Think about it. They could save millions in production cost if they can eliminate jackets in manufacturing.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Ya know, I am going to advise you guys to patent these methods, before some major manufacturer snatches them. Think about it. They could save millions in production cost if they can eliminate jackets in manufacturing.
    That's why I was talking about "fluidized beds" in the huge powder coating megathread. The fisherman are making their crappie jigs one at a time at home with fluidized beds made out of PVC fittings.

The only other videos I could find were of huge machines meant to powder coat fencing. The one medium size application was for the grill around an oscillating fan. The grill was put into something that looked like the freezer case for the drumsticks, klondike bars, and frozen snickers you see down at the quickee mart.

My conundrum is how do you go from fluidized bed apllication process to the baking it on stage without some metal conveyor leaving marks in the finished powder coat.

Also in that megathread somebody posted pics of Federal Nyclad ammo. So somebody at Federal had figured out how to apply the "nylon" in bulk without leaving marks.

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast