RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating 101 - Electrostatic Method

Boolit Buddy
    You can cure the HF at 350F in less time than the instructions say and still have it survive the smash test. Once the gloss over, dull down and stop "smelling" they are done in my experience. It's really tough stuff.

The cheapest oven at WallyWorld will do about 80 on a tray for small calibers and 50-60 for larger. It takes me about 10 minutes of work, and another 10 of watching the oven. So in an hour, with the cheapest new setup, oh 200-250... Bigger ovens or ones that can do multiple trays (IMHO not worth the problems it causes, especially in cheap ovens)... more...

Quote Originally Posted by w0fms View Post
    You can cure the HF at 350F in less time than the instructions say and still have it survive the smash test. Once the gloss over, dull down and stop "smelling" they are done in my experience. It's really tough stuff.

The cheapest oven at WallyWorld will do about 80 on a tray for small calibers and 50-60 for larger. It takes me about 10 minutes of work, and another 10 of watching the oven. So in an hour, with the cheapest new setup, oh 200-250... Bigger ovens or ones that can do multiple trays (IMHO not worth the problems it causes, especially in cheap ovens)... more...
    Man, I can't run that many through my 450 in an hour. I've got to try this out!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Hey Popper, Banger and anyone else who has an opinion.
    I've been very happy PC'ing and shooting a couple thousand 45acps. Alloy and type of PC doesn't seem to be too critical on these pistol rounds.
    I'm probably going to start casting and PC'ing for 7.62 x 39. I intend to keep speeds around 2,100fps.
    Any suggestions on whether I'll need gas checks with the PC? How about alloy suggestions with PC?
    Thanks much.

PC'ed doe. 168 yds with a Lee 310 gr. I don't think she missed the sticky lube.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	87920
    Rich

Boolit Master
    ^^^^First confirmed P/C kill!^^^^

Great job! I carried P/C boolits for elk this year, but Karma gave me two flat tires this year instead.

Congrats on the pc deer! I attempted to make hot pink for the wife using hf red/white. First to red then to white then I think I found the right combo. I really need to make a few jigs. Haven't loaded any yet, was just tryin the gun out & mixing colors.

Attachment 87935

Boolit Mold
    Does anyone know of any types of PC powders to avoid? As in, are there any coatings which may actually cause fouling in the bore or gas tubes? Are there some that work better than others?

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Don't most paint gun brands have interchangeable nozzles? It would only make sense to carry that technique over to electrostatic guns as well. I haven't run across a water sprayer for furnace humidity control without this feature. ... felix
    felix

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Please post on how that PC tasted. Several have asked if contamination is bad.
    Since I used Navy blue powder I am going to guess there'll be a hint of blueberry flavor.
    Rich

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Man, I can't run that many through my 450 in an hour. I've got to try this out!
    Problem is that you still have to.size them.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Not a tongue in cheek request - several have asked if it would contaminate or mess up the meat. Can't see how it could but? Your the first to report.
    I seriously doubt PC would be worse than Pb!!!!!!!!!

I do not hunt and will never ingest any, but would think PC coatings are inert.

Others........please share results and findings!

banger

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacFan View Post
    Hey Popper, Banger and anyone else who has an opinion.
    I've been very happy PC'ing and shooting a couple thousand 45acps. Alloy and type of PC doesn't seem to be too critical on these pistol rounds.
    I'm probably going to start casting and PC'ing for 7.62 x 39. I intend to keep speeds around 2,100fps.
    Any suggestions on whether I'll need gas checks with the PC? How about alloy suggestions with PC?
    Thanks much.
    I can only recommend sticking to Cu GC's on the slugs that are designed for them at the higher velocities. I use GC's on my 223's and 30's, although I believe several on here have tried coating the end with PC in place of a GC.

I will let others chime in on that.

Good shooting!

banger

I'm purty sure I ate some hf powder coat the first time I used it, I'm still here for now.

Love Life
    Not a tongue in cheek request - several have asked if it would contaminate or mess up the meat. Can't see how it could but? Your the first to report.
    I asked that same question awhile back concerning HT coating. The response was "Probably no worse than the stuff in grease lubes." Made sense to me.

And ,my first NO LUBE GROVE mold is here..Made by MP Molds.Can you imagine a casting and not using a wooden mallet or stick? Bullets just pop out from this mold when opened..Its a 9 mm 135 grain ,359 diameter.some pic
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0310.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	88088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0312.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	88089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0314.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	88090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0315.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	88091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0320.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	88092

Boolit Master
    Balta, Is that the 359-125 with just the lube groove bored out? If this was not a big problem for Mihec to do I think it would be great if it shoots well. I cant wait for reports!
    Like I mentioned in the group buy the 380 boolit is next, and would make a good candidate for this if we can tag it in with that group buy.

If i understand Mihec s correctly ,yes this is 359-125 ,but cutted in 6 cav aluminium and then removed lube groves..Sunday is my next range day so i will post some results.I did shoot epoxy coated bullets without lube grove before and it was great,thats reason i order i mold without lube groves.Much easier to work also

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    There is absolutely NO reason all molds shouldn't drop boolits as soon as the handle is opened. Folks like the way boolits look WAY more than the way they shoot. It's no different for houses we live in. Every sharp corner/angle costs something big time, such as boolit production time or actual money in the housing case. ... felix
    felix

ADMIN

Most of the time there is a burr in the mold or a very sharp edge.

I am gonna spend this winter going over all my molds with a magnifying glass
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Balta - looks like my 9mm 130 gr. but I made the LG 0.010" and no crimp groove. Casts & shoots great. Working on a 30 cal with single LG more like a shallow CG, smaller dia nose for PC of course.
    Wich 9 mm 130 gr mold ,popper?

Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast