Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating 101 - Electrostatic Method

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    So it appears you can somewhat control how thick you apply it with the spray on method, that could really be handy. Has anyone tried running a thicker coating on a undersized boolit? Like a .278 coated upto .309ish.
    I have not tried bumping up a boolit yet, but I do have an old Ideal 358429 that casts about .0015 undersized and I want to see if I can build that up and have it hold up to shooting pressures. I have no idea about going up .031, that is quite a bit.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    Wow those are some stellar lookin boolits beagle. So it appears you can somewhat control how thick you apply it with the spray on method, that could really be handy.
    Has anyone tried running a thicker coating on a undersized boolit? Like a .278 coated upto .309ish.
    I add only 1-2 thou thickness as I use only ONE spray coat/bake. Trying to do what you are suggesting above is impossible. You would end up with a boolit encased in a non-controlled thickness casing that would really screw up your accuracy! And it would take an unknown number of coats/bakes which would be a total waste of time to gain a projectile that would fly uncontrollable downrange. And any know load data would be out the window.

But.......hey........go for it. That is what we do here..........bend/break the curve!!!!!!!

Let us know what you find.

banger

Boolit Buddy
    I have read through this post, as well as about three-fourths of the mega thread! Anyway, I didn't see much on pc affecting expansion. The reason I was wondering, I would like to use a 35 rem for hunting, and was assuming I would use a hp mold so I can get some expansion. Any idea how pc interferes, if any, with the expansion of a hp? The reason I don't go test it myself, is I have no hp mold. I am trying to figure out what route to go with my 35. I do have my HF gun and am waiting on some powder to start on my 9.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by drysound View Post
    Attachment 85656
    Has anyone tried the Sears Electric Powder Coat Gun system. I was searching for a source for additional powder cups for my HF system and ran across an ebay listing for new Craftsman systems for about $60. Looks like these things have an internal fan system and don't require an air source. I have to do my PCing on my back porch and like the idea of not having to drag my 20 gallon compressor out when I want to PC. Just wondering if anyone here is using the Craftsman and if so, what you think of it.

I find the HF gun fairly easy to clean with a little air but would really like to find one or two more powder jars. I'm still experimenting with colors and not having to clean the jars so much would be nice. To bad HF didn't make the sprayer jar the same size as the jars the powder comes in.
    I believe you'll find reference to them a lot earlier in the original PC threads. They seem to perform acceptably, but still cost a bit more than the HF one and I'm not sure if you can use any powder or just theirs.

If you already have the HF gun why not just buy a tiny compressor used or from HF? Seems like having a really small one would be just the ticket.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    I have read through this post, as well as about three-fourths of the mega thread! Anyway, I didn't see much on pc affecting expansion. The reason I was wondering, I would like to use a 35 rem for hunting, and was assuming I would use a hp mold so I can get some expansion. Any idea how pc interferes, if any, with the expansion of a hp? The reason I don't go test it myself, is I have no hp mold. I am trying to figure out what route to go with my 35. I do have my HF gun and am waiting on some powder to start on my 9.
    I have shot PC'd 45-70 and 45 ACP HPs with no loss to the expansion so far as I could tell. It's just a coating, it's not going to deter the expansion significantly- it's not a copper jacket after all!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    Coat & shoot away................it will not bother any expansion you are anticipating. Just try smashing one on a steel plate nose to base and watch what the coating does........it expands and cracks along where the lead splits & expands..........but STILL sticks to the lead! Amazing stuff.

banger

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0299.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	85776
    i almost cry when a see some pictures hiere of coted bullets.I want make sombody else cry
    Left is epoxy paint tumbling method,Widerlader recipe and a right (blue) powder coating..For powder coating i use simple TRIBO electrostatic gun and powder from this site www.nordicpulver.dk Hi also sels at ebey.Powder is polyester type but it works.I did go litle thin at blue bullets .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0300.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	85779

Boolit Buddy
    Okay.. well, I settled on a Walmart 96 cent sheet, cut in half which is almost perfect for my cheap oven, drilled, but not all the way through with a 1/2" bit.. makes a nice series of divots-- covered with the non-sticky foil. Learned that the "bottom" rack is a no-go as I started to melt again.. so I can only do about 70 at a time. I did mine face down, then about a 5 minute bake... then hit them again, and a 5 minute bake.. flip over on a flat sheet, spray once and do the full 12 min. I get PC TJ that way.. works fine...

Boolit Buddy
    One other comment.. a small 2-5 gal "holding tank" with a regulator could be used with the HF PC gun as well.. or a really small compressor.... for "portable" use. I was pondering those options for a while..

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by w0fms View Post
    One other comment.. a small 2-5 gal "holding tank" with a regulator could be used with the HF PC gun as well.. or a really small compressor.... for "portable" use. I was pondering those options for a while..
    I got a 100' air hose.

Even though my 12 gal compressor is on wheels, it doesn't drag easily through the gravel driveway.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Balta those blue ones look great. I don't think I have seen any blue before.

A while back my big compressor crapped out on me. I'm using a little Wal-mart special...I hate it..very loud and very slow. I run it to my big tank, go inside, watch a movie then read a book then take a nap...then when everything is all pressured up I go back out and coat.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Good looking bullets Balta!

Boolit Master

For some reason that blue almost looks like it's jumping out from the screen at you.

Quote Originally Posted by MacFan View Post
    Just in case anyone doubts the tenacity of ES gun applied powder coat sticking to lead.
    45acp 230gn RN, TL grooves coated with gloss black PC. (sized to .451, crimp .468/.469 and I use a Lee FCD)
    Shot through 24 inches of red rubber mulch and hitting a 3/8" steel plate. Accuracy at the range is as good as I can get with my Colt Gold Cup. No leading at all in my GC or Mac semi auto clone after many hundreds of rounds.
    Also no leading in my XDS... before it was recalled.

Attachment 83580
    I have been away from the Powder Coated Boolit threads for a while. I noticed everything got stickey'ed finally. Yay! Anywhoo... I had to right click save that pic.

Thanks for posting that!

Boolit Bub
    What is the best powder for coating 223 and 7.62x39? I'm using HF red and black for handgun. Will be using GCs.

Love Life
    I just got a 20% coupon for HF in the mail yesterday. Look slike this method will be added to the stable.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm headed to HF this weekend to get setup for the ESPC. TIRED OF ALL THE LEADING with the 9mm.

Boolit Master
    has anyone tried casting and then powder coating a boolit without any grease grooves at all? The reason I ask is that it would make for a shorter boolit of any given weight which means more case capacity and that often means higher mv at lower pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    has anyone tried casting and then powder coating a boolit without any grease grooves at all? The reason I ask is that it would make for a shorter boolit of any given weight which means more case capacity and that often means higher mv at lower pressure.
    I remove grease grove from my Lee 9 mm 125 grain bullet mold.Looks avesome but its tricky to do it right..Chek the picture in the post201 ,thats the red bullets with epoxy paint ,dont have the powder coated pictures
    Last edited by Balta; 11-01-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: gramati

Local Wed paper had 25% off hf coupon. Look what you guys made me go and do. Was 70$ fer the gun kit & all four colors. Found toaster on cl gotta get it yet.

Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast