Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: 7,62x54R lee dies...dumb!!!

Boolit Master

7,62x54R lee dies...dumb!!!

I love Lee dies. Short of bench rest type loading, the competitors are NOT any better and they all cost more.

BUT! I just grabbed a set of Lee dies for my Mosin and dang if the stupid expander ain't .307! What the heck man! I know mosins vary a good bit but short of the Finnish rifles designated 7,62x53R no Mosini ever saw runs a bullet that small. Needn't think a cast boolit will go in there....and my particular rifle needs a .314 boolit so even an Mdie will struggle to open .007 thousandths! Dummies!

I found some Lee expanders on slEezeBay for 8mm Lebel. I got 3 of them for about ten bucks. I'll size one of them down to the perfect size. It'll actually work it better because I will not only be able to get the EXACT size I want but I can work down to about 2000 grit paper and then muslin wheel and jewelers rouge for about a 3 micron finish will REALLY aid in the sizing process.

Just felt like complaining this morning. I hurt my back again last night so I'm in full grumpy bastage mode this morning.

Boolit Grand Master
    DeanWinchester

Sorry to hear that you hurt that back.

I'm having some problems with mine also. I can FULLY understand.

That was a great idea turning down the expander the way you did.

Hopefully others will read this and use your same technique.

Good Shooting,

Ben

Boolit Master

I have a set of Lee dies in 7.62x54R also, but have not yet used them. Does the FL sizing die reduce the case neck down smaller than .307 inside diameter? If so, that seems excessive and will be rough on case life. For .303 Brit I've used my Lyman thru powder expander for .32 ACP with my powder measure mounted right on it with good success. I use the Lee C312-185-1R sized to .312. I need to measure what the diameter of the expander on that Lee .303 Brit die is.

Boolit Man
    I used the 303 british expander with the lee dies. I think it measured .311

Boolit Man

According to Lee's website the 303 Brittish expander pin is .311 and is what they reccomend for the Mosin Naggat. THe 7.62 x 54R die set comes with a .308 dia. expander pin.

You are going to want to get a LEE Universal Case Expanding Die if you don't want to damage your bullet during seating.
    Devin
    DKN Gunsmithing

Boolit Grand Master

There are a whole lot of firearms out there chambered for the 7.62x54R. Mosin Nagant is only one. Many have .308" bores (standard)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Noffsinger View Post
    You are going to want to get a LEE Universal Case Expanding Die if you don't want to damage your bullet during seating.
    Actually I want the sizer die to get me closer to the size I want to end up with so my Mdie doesn't have to work the brass so hard. After fire forming the brass, I don't wanna squeeze that neck so much only to have to open back up again

I'm fairly certain I will have to open the die itself up a touch too so it doesn't over work the brass.

Dean: You might call Lee and see if they would send you the right expander rod.

I bet you would find out that someone put the wrong rod in the die during the assembly stage.

Use shame as your leverage.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Lee will send you a larger expander for a few bucks.

Take care

r1kk1