WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's a fair boolit to wheel weight trade?

what's a fair boolit to wheel weight trade?

I have a non-casting friend that wants to trade me wheel weights for 40 S&W boolits. He has two pretty full 5 gallon buckets. He's leaving the ratio up to me, but I really don't know what to offer. To make it easier, we're going to set the ratio off of smelted weight. That way, there is no guessing on how much usable alloy is there. What is a fair trade ratio(in weight)?

Thanks,
    Rob
    do unto others................

Boolit Master
    Boolits should go about $.10/ea, WWs are about $.80/lb. So at this point I'll refrain from "public math." But, you didn't say how heavy the boolits are, still at this juncture it's a simple conversion.
    Last edited by singleshot; 08-03-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Boolit Master
    Assuming 180 gr boolits, that's about 1lb boolits for 5 lbs WWs if you have to do it by weight. (Rats, I did public math!)

Quote Originally Posted by singleshot View Post
    But, you didn't say how heavy the boolits are, still at this juncture it's a simple conversion.
    Sorry I left out that very important variable. Thanks for pointing it out. The weight on them is 160Gr
    do unto others................

Boolit Master
    Okay, assuming you agree with the logic above, 2 lbs boolits for 11 pounds of WWs for 160 gr boolits.

Boolit Master

I always did 2 for 1 with buddies. If the guy gets a good score or has to pay dearly is of no consequence to me as it is his alloy. The end result is I make an equal amount of boolits and we both get to shoot. I don't try to make a profit so to speak, and I don't feel like I'm being taken advantage of. I enjoy casting and want to keep it fun as this is a hobby. I will have to say that I did go 3 for 1 on 225-415 55 gr boolits just because a pound of those takes a longer time to cast
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Banned

2 to 1 unless he wants 10-k, then its 500 to 1.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Considering you have to sort them, melt them, and make them into ingots, I would check the prices on commercial boolits, and offer him $25 worth of boolits.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by robpete View Post
    I have a non-casting friend that wants to trade me wheel weights for 40 S&W boolits. He has two pretty full 5 gallon buckets. He's leaving the ratio up to me, but I really don't know what to offer. To make it easier, we're going to set the ratio off of smelted weight. That way, there is no guessing on how much usable alloy is there. What is a fair trade ratio(in weight)?

Thanks,
    Rob
    I once swapped two homemade boat anchors, that were supposedly made from WW's about 30years ago. Before I'd do the trade, I smelted them first and did a test cast, got about 120lbs of nice clean ingots, the test boolits were well filled out and measured 12BHN, after 24 hours of being cast, So I was pretty sure the alloy was COWW. So I proceeded to cast, lube, size 600 boolits for 45acp for my buddy (about 20 lbs). He was happy and said he'd find me more Lead alloy.

My own rule of thumb, in a weight to weight swap, I'd figure about 10lb's of pistol boolits (lubed and sized) to 100lbs of unsmelted WW's

Rifle boolits, that are closely examined and sorted (as well as GC'd, lubed, and sized), would be considerably lower trade ratio.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

You mentioned smelted weight but you didn't say who was doing the work.

100 lbs of clip on wheel weights will make about 80 lbs of ingots.

If I was doing the smelting I wouldn't give him more than a third of the ingots.
    (Smelting is a LOT of work )

That would be 27 lbs.
    Theoretically that would be 43 bullets per pound but in real life it will not be more than 40 so that comes to 1080 bullets
    Since this 27 pounds is his metal, what would you "charge" for casting, I would say maybe 50/50.

I would say 500 bullets per 100 pounds of unsmelted wheel weights.

Given the normal price of commercial cast bullets, this would be about $50.00 for his 100 lbs of un-smelted wheel weights. I don't know any scrap dealer around here that would pay him more than $40.00 per hundred.

That said, there may be legal consequences you might be better off to avoid. A couple of years ago I spent 9 months trying to get an answer from the BATF if a license was required to cast bullets for friends for sale and/or barter AS A HOBBY. I never got an answer. ( So I don't do it. )
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

If you state the rules BEFORE the games starts, ANYTHING you do is FAIR.

The more I smelt WW, the more I consider BUYING (buy is a 4 letter word) components.
    trk
    aka Cat Whisperer
    Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
    N 37.05224 W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    You mentioned smelted weight but you didn't say who was doing the work.

100 lbs of clip on wheel weights will make about 80 lbs of ingots.

If I was doing the smelting I wouldn't give him more than a third of the ingots.
    (Smelting is a LOT of work )

That would be 27 lbs.
    Theoretically that would be 43 bullets per pound but in real life it will not be more than 40 so that comes to 1080 bullets
    Since this 27 pounds is his metal, what would you "charge" for casting, I would say maybe 50/50.

I would say 500 bullets per 100 pounds of unsmelted wheel weights.

Given the normal price of commercial cast bullets, this would be about $50.00 for his 100 lbs of un-smelted wheel weights. I don't know any scrap dealer around here that would pay him more than $40.00 per hundred.

That said, there may be legal consequences you might be better off to avoid. A couple of years ago I spent 9 months trying to get an answer from the BATF if a license was required to cast bullets for friends for sale and/or barter AS A HOBBY. I never got an answer. ( So I don't do it. )

This math and logic is solid. The only thing left is the friendship factor, sometimes friends and family should pay more cause they always seem to expect more.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

This is what I do since I have to do the casting, sizing, lubing (I supply the lube), I give back 33% of the final weight in boolits, I keep the rest. Friend seems happy, comes back for more.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Buddy
    I have traded 2 lbs of WW ingots for 1 lb of shot in the past and felt pretty good about it.

WW to ingots to boolits, lubed and all ? I'd think 4 lbs of raw WW to 1 lb of finished boolits would be about right.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    This math and logic is solid. The only thing left is the friendship factor, sometimes friends and family should pay more cause they always seem to expect more.
    It is like loaning money, or books, or tools, If you loan them to a "friend" you will loose both.

Never reload ammo for a friend.

As you said, before you know what happened he will be treating you like an employee.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

Considering you have to sort them, melt them, and make them into ingots, I would check the prices on commercial boolits, and offer him $25 worth of boolits.
    That is what I would do. I wouldn't spend all my time so someone else can shoot.

Boolit Master
    I have had a couple of aquaintances ask if I could supply them with some stuff. I offer to let them come over and help cast some of the bullets they want and possibly reload their own so they can say they did it with their own. So far I have beenenjoying my time alone smelting and casting as I do it outdoors under the shade of a big maple tree. Did I say I do it alone?

Boolit Buddy
    I don't trade, I train other people using their labor and components but using my equipment.

WW alloy in ingots is about $1/#, 29# for 1000/200gr/45. So I would be fine swapping friends 2-1 if that ever came up, but only if you enjoy the casting process.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I have a close friend and we do lots of shooting together. He gets 50% of the lead he brings me in boolits. I cast, he sizes and lubes. He loads on my equipment. I feel very good with this arrangement.