MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North American Arms Mini-Revolvers

North American Arms Mini-Revolvers

Is anyone familiar with these small pocket pistols? They seem like they'd be fun to shoot at short ranges. Does anyone have any experience with these, good or bad?

Thanks,

-Jeff

Perma-Banned

Jeff, I have two of them the cap n ball and the 4" barrel Earl. They are nice little fin guns. If you want a neat toy they are great for this if you expect any realy kind of accuracy buy a smith kit gun. They are strictly 5 yard guns but a lot of fun.

Boolit Master

Have a set of them with the mag cylinders. Love em, a five yard gun maybe, five feet is there intended range and from there to muzzle contact they are great.

I have one with a .22LR a .22 Magnum cylinder. A bit of a novelty but in my opinion worth having.
    My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/

They come with a long hammer spur. I occasionally carry one concealed and one day found the hammer had moved to half cock. This concerned me, so I contacted NAA. They asked me to ship the revolver back to them, and they bobbed the hammer and installed a stiffer spring. The gun is still easy enough to cock, and no longer has a tendency to inadvertently cock.

They are great little guns for their intended purpose. Sometimes the consequences of being detected outweigh the disadvantage of the inadequate cartridge.

Boolit Master

I have a .22Mag stainless one I carry when I'm traveling light and a snubby or compact 9 is too much for where I'm going. Being a rifle cartridge, .22mag issues a huge gout of flame from the bbl when fired.
    Since no one can SEE the pistol, it's so small, they only see 2' of flames billowing out of your hand. This draws attention and questions.
    I thought it was odd, more than one person came to see what I was shooting when I fired the NAA .22mag, but no one stopped by right after or before when I was shooting a 1927 Broomhandle mauser...

They're good little BUGs, or as deterrents. As others said, they are good to 5 yards maybe. I figure it's better than nothing, and it will serve as a sort of exclamation point to me shouting "go away".

Bulldogger

Boolit Buddy
    I really like my short barreled .22/.22 Mag. It is easy to carry in a pocket holster (I would not bother to carry a bigger gun) and gives me peace of mind while walking with my daughter on our acreage each day.

The NAA revolvers seem to be very well constructed and finished, too.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of the 22/22mag models with the longer (1 1/2"?) barrels. As previously mentioned it's a 3-5 yard gun just because of the sights or lack of. Mine has no rear sight. I have seen a very small laser sight that mounts on the top strap. That might extend you useable range a bit. Used to carry mine all the time until I got my Ruger LCP. Almost as easy to hide and more cartridge.
    siamese4570

I've had 3. The 1 5/8th 22lr, black widow 22mag and still own the 1 1/8th 22mag. Practical accuracy with it is 2liter bottle at 5 yards. It is only a extreme back up carry pistol and fun for newbs seeing such a small pistol. I carry mine in places I usually couldn't carry normally. The new sidewinder with actually crane and side drop cylinder is neat, I'd wait for a longer barrel.

Boolit Master
    I wonder how many they sell each year. There is a very long history of .22 pistols used for defense and they are consistant with those small pistols.

Boolit Master
    My good friend had one. I found it somewhat cumbersome to shoot, so much so that I wouldn't want to use it for self defense. It would be better than nothing, but one of the little pocket 380's isn't much bigger and is a whole lot easier to use. I liked the NAA, don't get me wrong, but I think I'd use it more for fun/ novelty, not that there is anything wrong with having a gun just for fun.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

They must be pretty popular. The factory has a two to eight month backlog. I put in an order for a magnum with conversion cylinder and a 1.625" barrel. All-in-all it should work well for my intended purpose. They make a "boot grip" that adds about half an inch to the handle. I might try that to make it a bit easier to grip.

Thanks for the responses!

They must be pretty popular. The factory has a two to eight month backlog. I put in an order for a magnum with conversion cylinder and a 1.625" barrel. All-in-all it should work well for my intended purpose. They make a "boot grip" that adds about half an inch to the handle. I might try that to make it a bit easier to grip.

Thanks for the responses!

Boolit Bub
    I have one of the "Canadian" versions with 4.2" barrel. The .22 magnum is super fun to shoot, but would probably only be useful defensively to deafen or frighten your attacker. Even with the 'long' barrel the accuracy is not there. The .22 LR is a bit more accurate, but not enough to matter.

Naa arms "PUG"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-001F.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	78537Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-002F.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	78538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-003F.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	78539 I had the real small one for years. with ritis in my gun hand traded up to the 22 mag pug. Apocalypse hit the nail on the head. this puppy is super loud. sounds like a much larger caliber.

information on the NAA Pug.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...ptb&va=naa+pug
    Last edited by gandydancer; 08-07-2013 at 01:37 PM.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master
    I got a NAA Pug and I love the little bugger!!! Sits in my front pocket and you don't know it is there.

If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one (.22LR and .22mag) that I bought for my wife many years ago. I carry it when I'm going to an extremely leftist area that attempts to infringe up our basic human rights of bearing arms (e.g. NYC, Chicago, etc). They are probably the most concealable firearm that you can carry. Of course, they are a last ditch type of defense. Treat them as an slightly extended range Phillips head screwdriver or ice pick -- one in which you will get at most 5 "stabs" at your assailant. If you luck out and hit a vital area, a .22LR round will kill someone. At the very least, I figure it will slow them down enough that I can escape. If I saw someone robbing the restaurant I was eating at, I would not confront them with the NAA min-revolver (although I would with my normal carry handgun), but if the situation was such that the lives of myself or my family was in immediate danger, I would use it. It will easily fit in the watch pocket on a pair of jeans and if your shirt is not tucked in, no one will notice you have it. If you are wearing a winter jacket, you can have it in the pocket and no one will notice it. In such a situation, you can have your hand on it and shoot through the pocket of your jacket easily. What with those blood-borne diseases that kill you these days, I really don't want to be getting close enough to my assailant to be exposed to his blood as might happen if I had to resort of just a knife. The NAA mini-revolver allows a slight bit of standoff distance.
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Boolit Master
    35+ years ago I carried one as an emergency backup (think "The Onion Field"), in a pocket stitched into the throat of my Wellington boot when I worked in LE. My mother worked in the County Court system and carried one in her purse for nearly 20 years. They are purpose specific as WilliamDahl points out, and are excellent for that purpose.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not a fan. At least not for defensive purposes.

I had a 22 LR with the short barrel and it is too little to be of use as a firearm, at least for defensive purposes. As a toy, they make noise just like a gun, but are very difficult to hit anything with. The handle and trigger reach are so small that my large glove-size hands can not deploy one in a hurry. My brother has a 4 inch barreled 22 mag with a larger handle that is a better, if bigger, choice, but I would rather gamble on one of the Kel-tec 32 ACP's or one of the smaller 380's.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast