MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Dragoon loose arbor>

Dragoon loose arbor>

Hey folks, I recently picked up a CVA (ASM) 3rd model Dragoon off of gunbroker. This one was a new old stock with the original box. Nice fit and finish. I had the chance to fire it yesterday and it shot great. Upon reasembly after cleaning I found that the cylinder arbor is now loose and wiggles a little in the frame. I know it wasn't like this before I shot it. Is there a way to tighten it back up? Did I do domething wrong here? I know (think) I didn't overload it with 40grns of FFFg. I also found that the barrel wedge now bottoms out against the wedge screw. It does hold it tight but I thought that it should go in that far. Should I and can I get a wider, thicker wedge to correct that or is it necessary?

I'm asking all these dumb questions because this is the first open top Colt style revolver I've ever owned so I lacking in the experience department here. I've had nothing but '58 Reminigtons till now. I've read that quality with old ASM's was kind hit and miss so I kinda figured it was a roll of the dice when I bid on this one.

Any guidence is much appreciated as always.
    Take care, Moptop

When I have a revolver like that, first thing I do is check to make sure the arbor is long enough. It needs to bottom out in its hole at the same time the barrel hits the frame on the bottom. You can either add shims to the bottom of the hole or add something to the end of the arbor if it is too short. Also the arbor should screw tightly into the frame and the slot should index properly. If it doesn't, you can either set the original back so it indexes, and add material to the end so it is the right length or buy a new one and fit it. Once you have that, then address the wedge slot. If you set it back the slot now is probably too narrow. File the front until the wedge fits properly. If it is still too long, you can solder material to the front and then file that to fit. Normally the arbor is pinned by having a hole drilled on the edge of the threads and pressed in. (use brass so it can be removed) I also have had good luck with red Loctite here. Once everything is fit well, always use a wood stick or something soft to gently tap on the wedge. It doesn't take much force to make it do its job and it will last a long time if fit properly.

-Nobade

Boolit Master

I have had a few come in with the threads starting to strip. I have tapped them oversize and made new arbors to fit with tighter threads. Problem with going bigger on the thread size is staying small enough to clear the slot for the hand ( pawl).