RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 45Colt Handi

45Colt Handi

Any yall paper patch for the little 45 Colt break over carbines?
    I'm thinking about how to paper patch and maximize the FFFg space by using a design that slips into the bore and put a lube ball in the hind end.

Perhaps an easy way to accomplish the same thing would be to put a large ring on the back side of a Lyman 445599 minie and let the front end fill the bore diameter, not patched but cast with a little tin.
    Either way, looks like a fun project.

In Remembrance
    Perhaps breech seating would be an answer for you.
    The bullet can be grooved or patched ... your choice.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

You could chamber it to 460 S&W.....

-Nobade

Banned

I patch for my handi but use smokeless and Lee 457-340 cores sized to .448" in two steps and patched to fit a fired case, about .456". Not much room for powder since half of the boolit is in the case. The shallow grooves and polished bore of mine are quite suitable for the paper jacket.

Would this help for breech seating purposes? http://leeprecision.com/mold-454-298-m.html I suppose you could turn a breech seater with a relief for the extractor and just pound the boolits in so the bases flush-up with the end of the throat and use .460 brass that is trimmed and roll-crimped to fit the taper in the leade like a flare fitting (and touch the boolit skirt if possible) in order to extend the powder capacity up to the boolit base. Or maybe just fill the gap between seated boolit base and .45 Colt case mouth with a lubed felt wad and glue a thin card wad over your case mouths to retain the powder.

Gear

Been thinking about possibly loading the boolit and the charged case separately like with an 1860's carbine (breech seating as suggested by montana_charlie) and really there's no reason not to. The charged case might work just fine to seat the bullet into the bore with the stop ring on the rear of the bullet. Using the case loaded with a hollow base that is in effect holding the grease cookie has good points too.

The only issue with that is the throat. But I suppose if you made up a mould to throw a bullet that looks like your original drawing to be a bore rider and also fill the throat it would work. Of course a normal 45 Colt full of black powder is no slouch anyhow.

-Nobade

Yeah, I think it would need mucho lube in the base cup or it would be a one shot wonder. And could that much powder slap it hard enough... probably.