Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am looking at buying a Chronograph.

Boolit Buddy

I am looking at buying a Chronograph.

I have been considering this for a while and this morning I got an ad from Midway about the Magnetospeed chronograph. Have any of you heard of or use this type of unit. What do you recommend? I think I would enjoy one since I am more of a paper shooter/re-loader, caster than I am a hunter. Thanks, Malcolm

Boolit Buddy
    Malcolm, I don't know a thing about that unit. I use a Chrony Beta Master that I have been pleased with.
    It's a shame you don't live closer, you could just use mine.

Boolit Master

Malcolm,

Can't help you with that brand.

I can recommend the Chrony brand. I've been using one for many years now. Never a problem, except when I centered one (perfectly, I might add) with a 45. Seemed slightly out of adjustment from that point on, even though I put all the pieces in the same five gallon bucket I couldn't get it to work quite right.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Bub
    Another satisfied Chrony Beta user for almost 20 years here .

Boolit Master

I have a Chrony beta and I am very happy with it. Get one that has the display seperate from the unit. The ones with the display on them can be hard to read at 12 feet.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Boolit Bub
    Look around here and you'll find several threads regarding chrono's and opinions. Most people buy a basic one and are quite happy.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a standard Chrony Beta as well, my next one will have the corded display/control. Maybe by then it will even be wireless.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Chronys suck, get a Prochrono
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.”
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Buddy
    The magnetic one looks interesting. I'm waiting for some reviews on it. It's supposedly immune to muzzle blast because it electronically detects the metallic projectile going by and no pressure waves, etc. I wish I would have thought of that myself. I'm thinking "Theremin". The offset of two RF oscillators would absolutely work in this application.

The thing that is nice about that unit (if it works well) is that it can and does attach to the bore of the gun so you'll never shoot it...

Otherwise I'd say ProChrono. Wait until MidwayUSA is running a sale and it's $99 for a decent unit. The computer interface can be easily built for almost nothing. (I suppose that applies as well to the Chronys but there is a lot of bad reviews on the Chronys and very little on the ProChrono.) I own a ProChrono.

Boolit Buddy

I have the MagnetoSpeed, and it's great! I've had mine for over a year and have had no problems with it. The thing that I like most is that it takes me about a minute to set it up. No going down range, no precise alignment of firing position/ sky screens/ target and no shooting the chronograph. I had a Shooting Chrony Beta Master that I liked very much, but got to where I didn't use it much because I didn't like the set-up hassle. The MagnetoSpeed does effect the group size with some of my rifles, but not much.
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

Boolit Master
    I've used several chronographs in the last thirty years or so. I'd recommend the Oehler 35P, particularly if you're going to use a chronograph frequently. It's built to last and you won't wish for a better unit. The PACT is also a good one. A Chrony is fine for occasional use.

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensai View Post
    I have the MagnetoSpeed, and it's great! I've had mine for over a year and have had no problems with it. The thing that I like most is that it takes me about a minute to set it up. No going down range, no precise alignment of firing position/ sky screens/ target and no shooting the chronograph. I had a Shooting Chrony Beta Master that I liked very much, but got to where I didn't use it much because I didn't like the set-up hassle. The MagnetoSpeed does effect the group size with some of my rifles, but not much.
    How does it work with cast bullets?

When I was looking at getting one I was advised that it was not suitable for cast boolits or black powder use.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Love View Post
    I think I would enjoy one since I am more of a paper shooter/re-loader, caster than I am a hunter.
    You think you might enjoy one?
    Do you already know how the information from a chronograph is used to improve your black powder paper patched loads?
    Do you have a plan to keep the unit from being 'confused' by grease cookies, over-powder wads, and shredded patch paper?

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    How does it work with cast bullets?

When I was looking at getting one I was advised that it was not suitable for cast boolits or black powder use.
    A while back there was some discussion on this system on another board, and the link to the manufacturers web as I recall indicated that the large size was alright for cast and blackpowder. But it might be best to verify that with the manufacturer.
    It is tempting to try one, when the next time a wad stack blows thru the lcd on my current chronograph.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy

Dromia, it works real well with cast, muzzle loaders and even shotguns. You have to adjust the sensitivity for lead projectiles, but that's an easy and well documented task. There are lots of reviews online now and the only negative ones I've seen are from people who don't bother to read the instructions . I got one of the first out, the newer ones have some tweaks that make it even easier to use
    Gary

Boolit Master
    I have owned two chronies, shot one of them, unfortunately, and still have a "masterbeta". I have also got a prochrono. The prochrono and the beta master chrony are within 8-10fps of each other in the range of 800-1400fps. The prochrono is much less subject to falsing when the light is weird. the prochrono is much more likely to trigger on air-rifle pellets than is the chrony. Both have been very reliable until I go and shoot them. Both have worked well to -5F and up to 100F.

Boolit Mold
    I have a Master Beta Chrony, it works fine but the user interface is the pits, it is not at all user friendly. I replaced it with a CED M2 which is worlds better, interface is much easier to use, just as accurate. Recently got a Magnetospeed since it is less of a hassle to use indoors and at a busy range. Instructions say it works with lead projectiles, just have to set the correct parameters; haven't tried it yet though. Another guy at the range has a magnetospeed and likes it.

Boolit Buddy
    Unless you have some weird cartridge and it's not in huge library available to the reloader buying a chrony is a waste of money. You'll just see the same answers as listed in the books. -tj

Boolit Buddy

tj, That's not what I've experienced at all. Most of the velocity data in the books is from a different barrel length than I have, or a test barrel, or different conditions. etc... If you want ballpark figures, OK, but I want to know the data from my gun under my conditions and what the extreme spread and standard deviation are.
    Gary

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tjones View Post
    Unless you have some weird cartridge and it's not in huge library available to the reloader buying a chrony is a waste of money. You'll just see the same answers as listed in the books. -tj
    That is all together different than what I've found with a chronograph. The lone exception being the 22 ammo is pretty consistant with what the factory says. I've clocked some rifle loads that were well over 400 fps slower than the manual said it should be, and I've had some that went a couple hundred feet faster. I also found out thru the use of my chronograph, that a person has to really wind up tight a 4 5/8 in. barreled 41 mag. to get it to actually meet the legal requirement we had of 500 fpe at 100 yds. Lilgun powder when it first came out didn't meet many of the claims either.
    Blackpowder paper patch rounds will be just a hair slower than the same weight grease groove bullets unless you crank up the charge weight. And that to make the minimum velocity requirements for some bpcr matches, may involve shooting a load that absolutely won't group in some rifles...
    No sir a chronograph can be a great learning tool , when properly applied.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast