Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Henry .30-30 Rifle.

Boolit Master

There is nothing better than a fast handling and slick action lever rifle in a decent caliber. I have a Cowboy Model 38-55 by Marlin and I love it. I can carry it all day and bring it to bear on a target really fast. Loaded down with a light boolit it makes a fun rifle to shoot bunnies and squirrels. Loaded up to a 300 gr boolit it will take down an Elk or Moose pretty well. The one I bought from a member had the chamber bored out to accept a .380 caliber boolit and he had somebody do some magic on the trigger. The trigger pull is about 3 lbs and it breaks very easily and has little creep.

With a decent tang sight by Williams and a Lyman globe front sight it is really a very accurate rifle if I do my part of the deal.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    I have the H-009 blued version and it is a real tack driver. The only downside is the lever "pop". If you have any in the tube, the lever will pop open a little. When this happens, the only way to relclose the lever sit to rack another round in the chamber. I have not figured out why Henry did not fix this in the design phase of production as it is quite annoying. Since I mainly shoot holes in paper, it is no big deal, but I really don't think it adds up to a good brush gun since a "pop open" requires another round to be chambered.

With that being said, it is very accurate and handsome if I do say so myself!

There is a pretty good article in the new American Rifleman (NRA mag) abut the Henry guns and specifically the .45-70 version.

It's a good read. It just came yesterday.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    A Henry .45-70 followed me home just this afternoon.
    Only put about 25 rounds through it I'm very pleased with it so far.

Boolit Buddy
    Likely my next two guns will be Henrys. 22 mag frontier for me and a 30/30 I am buying for one of my kids as their first deer rifle. I hope I have quashed my case of mosinitis for noe.
    Father, fool, friend.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Henry Repeating Arms has come a long ways is a short time expanding their product and their Service is par excellence! I'm not in the market for another 45-70 or 30-30 but if I was, the barrel would be stamped Henry ...
    I bought their Golden Boy 22LR when they first came out and it has the slickest action of any lever rifle I have in the safes. Plus their barrels can be called 'match grade' because they are that accurate.

As for their Service, here's my experience:
    I reload 22LR's with black powder and a custom mold of the old UMC Match bullet. I couldn't get the rounds to feed properly in the chamber because the ogive of the bullet is wider and the COL is longer than the commercially made smokeless 22LR rounds. So I sent them my 22LR BP reloads and the Golden Boy that were being shaved on the bullet noses going into the chamber. Was asking them if they could modify the Golden Boy to properly chamber these rounds.

The rifle was sent on a Friday with the BP rounds. I received the 'modified' Golden Boy with a new lever, modified ramp and the front of the chamber recut so the rounds chambered with no shaving of the BP rounds. The rifle was received back on the following Saturday (one week turn around)... shipping at their expense and the modification for FREE! Never have I received better Service from any firearm manufacturer! Henry Firearms is a Class Act company and would believe they make quality firearms for all rifles in their product line
    Regards
    John

In Remembrance
    Wow John Boy, that would be hard to beat with a stick.

I've managed to survive a few years of marlinitus, but maybe now will at least look at Henry.
    Reports of fine quality and supurb customer service are rare these days.
    It sounds like Henry folks adhere to the same "Customer's Bill of Rights" Mike Dillon publishes for his reloading equipment.
    Gauranteed. Period.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Master
    Class act and both the Henry Rifles I own are tac drivers. The 30-30 brass and the 45 colt shoot better than I would have ever imagined that 45 LC loves the 310 grain cast bullet from the Lee mold. I have been shooting most jacketed bullets from the 30-30 but today I received my new 4 cavity Accurate mold 170 grain FP GC and will cast and load some up this week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12