WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Wet stainless pin tumbling

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by armexman View Post
    I'm confused.
    How can those little SS pins roll a case mouth. I too have been using the SS pins, Dawn dishwashing liquid and Lemi-shine for 3 years and I have never seen "rolled" case mouths. Perchance, MC is talking about bigger sized media?
    For those whom use SS pins; de-prime in a Lee Universal de-prime die and then size when clean and shiny. Your sizing dies will love you for it.
    I do not paper-patch yet, but when I do, worrying about rolled edges will be least of my worries.

It is not the little stainless rods that do the peening, it is the way the cases tumble against one another. I use a wet tumbler with NO stainless or other media other than the liquid and the cases themselves. I get the slight case mouth peening and I get very clean brass inside and outside. I even leave the spent primers in and the pocket floors are "almost" totally clean. I dry mine in a convection oven to be sure the pockets with spent primers still present are totally dry. It is over kill, but I use 250F with 30 minutes after the whole batch comes fully up to the "pre-heat".

prs

prs-

Any photo of the peening you are seeing?

I'm asking since I've never seen any on my brasses.

Thanks -

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Today i tumbled 50 regular brass cases with 50 nickle plated cases. All of the plating was removed from nickle brass. This is good...no more flaking when crimped. All brass is Remington 357 magnum.

That was fast. It usually takes mine 4 or 5 trips through the tumbler to remove all the plating.

Boolit Master
    I wish these pins were available in Australia, may have to spend a week chopping mig wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    I wish these pins were available in Australia, may have to spend a week chopping mig wire.
    Perhaps you can check with these folks for international shipping:

http://www.bullseye-reloading.com/

FYI-

I am not affiliated with this company.
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master
    Thank you bayou . will do.

Hi, Stephen -

For my own information, can you let me know if they ship to Australia?

Thanks!
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Okay guys, I've been reading about skipping the pins and just cleaning with hot water, Dawn, Lemishine and a little wash and wax stuff from ArmorAll. Tumbled in Model B for four hours. Came out just like the pins. Clean as can be. Shiny and all that. Just started another load decapped to see if it cleans primer pockets, too. But even if it doesn't, I'm about to put five pounds of stainless pins up for sale, I think. This was grungy range pickups in all stages of nastiness. I can't tell them apart. They all look new. Some of y'all try it and see what you think.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brass.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	80645

The reason for the pins is so you can do it in an hour. I usually let it go for 2 hours though.

Quote Originally Posted by Airman Basic View Post
    Okay guys, I've been reading about skipping the pins and just cleaning with hot water, Dawn, Lemishine and a little wash and wax stuff from ArmorAll. Tumbled in Model B for four hours. Came out just like the pins. Clean as can be. Shiny and all that. Just started another load decapped to see if it cleans primer pockets, too.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brass.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	80645
    Airman Basic -

Interesting method.

Could you please post your results with primers removed? I'm interesed in learning those results. If your results are good, I may try it out.

Please inform of your additives and tumbling time.

Thanks so much-

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    The reason for the pins is so you can do it in an hour. I usually let it go for 2 hours though.
    One or two hours vs four hours without having to mess with separating the pins from the brass is a no-brainer for me.

Separating pins from brass is not all that difficult. Takes only a couple of minutes.

Love Life
    Separating pins is not that difficult as said above. However, I just stuck 22lbs of grungy milsurp 308 brass in my tumbler with no pins to see what happens. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'll update.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Separating pins is not that difficult as said above. However, I just stuck 22lbs of grungy milsurp 308 brass in my tumbler with no pins to see what happens. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'll update.
    I'm anxious to learn of the results.

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

I use stainless pins in my tumblers along with a squirt of whatever flavour of the day dish soap and a quick squirt of vinegar. Up here in Canada for whatever reason we cannot get lemi-shine so I said to myself if it is the citric acid that does the work, perhaps a different type of acid would work as well.....it does. I have read some blogs where they do not recommend any type of acid with the brass as it will "etch" the brass. From what I have seen, my brass will long since have worn out from over shooting before I have anything to worry about my brass being etched. Just make sure if you do use any type of acidic cleaner that you rinse your brass well with clean fresh water before you dry them.

Boolit Man
    aussie sapphire in NSW sell excellent pins and burnishing compound 2.5 Kg pins and 250 g compound for 80 bucks

http://www.aussiesapphire.com.au/ind...e704d11674a27c
    Last edited by SpotHound; 09-01-2013 at 09:12 PM. Reason: changes

Boolit Bub
    If one trip through the tumbler is removing the plating from the cases, then perhaps pins with cut (rough) ends instead of smooth ends could be the culprit?

Just a thought.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayou52 View Post
    I'm anxious to learn of the results.

Bayou52
    It shows promise. I let it run for my standard 2 hours, and it was clean. Just not the standard of clean I expect. If I let it run longer it may have looked like diamonds in the setting sun (my standard), but I don't have time for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    It shows promise. I let it run for my standard 2 hours, and it was clean. Just not the standard of clean I expect.
    That's very interesting, Love Life. I may just try removing the pins and then wet tumbling. I'll let it tumble for a full 4 hours. Problem is, I'm caught up at the moment, and have no brasses that need tumblng.

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast