Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Different eBay swaging dies

Different eBay swaging dies

http://www.ebay.com/itm/224-6s-ogive...item3f27ccc040

http://www.ebay.com/itm/De-rim-die-t...item3f27b85f84

What does everyone thing of these dies? The bullets look soooooo much better than the bullets from the other guy. There isn't a picture of the actual dies but the de-rim die looks pretty good. What say you?
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

Boolit Bub
    You can see the dies on his web page hgfirearms.com

Boolit Master
    Well if you contact him and his name happens to be John I think you will be in good hands. He has been around for a while building Custom Rifles and has been making Custom Bullets as well.

Last time I talked with him he was not only making dies for bullet making but dies for reducing jackets as well.

Joe
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Thanks guys. I don't know why I didn't Google them and go to the website. Guess I should have thought of that. What page are the pictures on? I saw the de-rim die but still couldn't find the others.
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

In Remembrance

You know.......... who's the guy who has been here for a LONG time, toiling and sweating to create first class tools at fair prices?
    Who has supported THIS forum, and this discussion area over a long time with information?
    Who has proven himself, over and over and over again with regard to first class customer service?

There's nobody who has gone further to assist us, as has the one person who is the name that is the only answer to the above questions:
    BT Sniper

Brian Thurner has worked hard for the business.

And, you guys find some new offering and just jump right on it? Wow...........

Brian Thurner's prices are exactly in line with the eBay guy's. And, is the eBay guy providing you with all of the other accessories that make .224 and other size swaging a breeze? I don't think so. Wow. I can't believe that you would even consider anyone other than our own BT Sniper for tools of this sort.

Then again, I am old school. I support companies and people who demonstrate that they have worked hard for my business. I support them with my wallet, and am always impressed with the results.

Why do I spend some much time supporting BT Sniper verbally? Because he has EARNED my respect and business with his unwavering service, quality, and product.

Off my soap box now. You buy whatever you want to. Let us know how that works out for you.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Moderator Emeritus
    Duke,

I think that Brian does great work, but the reality is that people have been waiting for up to or over a year for their dies with no definite delivery date. Why wouldn't they look somewhere else also?

I wish Brian nothing but success. The sheer number of orders he has received have been his Achilles heel. He simply can't keep up with demand, which causes people to look for other options. Apparently no different than one or both of the Corbin brothers.

I recently broke my Corbin point forming die for my old silver press. Guess it was metal fatigue because I had over 100,000 rounds it built for me. The Corbin Brothers were of little help, as they say they are both back-logged for about 2 years. I wanted a replacement for my dedicated swaging press and found John. Not only is my die set on the way, but his turn-around time was less than 2 months! Larry Blackmon is also behind for about 9 months, so there ya go. The rest of my die set (the de-rimmer and core seater) were also out of spec due to use, so wound up ordering the whole set. Review to follow after receipt of said dies.

Duke,

I don't have anything against Mr. Thurner. I have the 40 cal swage die from him and it is excellent. It just comes down to availability. And HG Firearms is a little cheaper. The basic kit from HG is $550 and includes a de-rim die, core swage die, core seat die, and the point form die. Again, I like Mr. Thurner and don't have anything against him, but is there anything wrong with asking a question? Isn't asking questions and sharing information what this forum is about?
    Last edited by MOcaster; 08-03-2013 at 01:53 AM.
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

Boolit Buddy
    Good looking bullets and dies from a company with 30 yrs experience in the gun/shooting industry. But the best part of the whole deal is they are in stock and available. I know I've already spent over $200 for materials and tooling. But I wanted to learn how to make my own set. Hopefully this fall when I'm only working every other week I'll finish them, if not before. Still working on the ogive/radius cutter when I get a chance.

If I were going to order a set and have to wait, I'd order from BT for the obvious reasons. If I needed them right away, there's only one game in town.

CC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post
    You know.......... who's the guy who has been here for a LONG time, toiling and sweating to create first class tools at fair prices?
    Do you call 4 years or so a long time compared to Mr. Blackmons and apparently H-G Firearms operations of at least 20+ years each, a long time?

Who has supported THIS forum, and this discussion area over a long time with information?
    Do you mean the best place to promote selling your Bullet Making dies and you have not seen any of the other fore mentioned gents here?

Who has proven himself, over and over and over again with regard to first class customer service?
    You mean the guy who originally said Christmas at the latest being the delivery date for his .224 dies?

There's nobody who has gone further to assist us, as has the one person who is the name that is the only answer to the above questions:
    BT Sniper
    Yep you are right!

Brian Thurner has worked hard for the business.
    Again, where is the best place to promote the Bullet Making Dies besides here?

Brian Thurner's prices are exactly in line with the eBay guy's. And, is the eBay guy providing you with all of the other accessories that make .224 and other size swaging a breeze? I don't think so. Wow. I can't believe that you would even consider anyone other than our own BT Sniper for tools of this sort.
    No, his prices are not in line. Yes, I am sure that John can make those, as well Mr. Blackmon can do it the same for less.

Then again, I am old school. I support companies and people who demonstrate that they have worked hard for my business. I support them with my wallet, and am always impressed with the results.
    Thanks for the insult.... None of us here obviously fit that description.

Why do I spend some much time supporting BT Sniper verbally? Because he has EARNED my respect and business with his unwavering service, quality, and product.
    Good for you! I like it when people support who they like for a business. I will continue to support Mr. Blackmon or H-G Firearms as long as the quality and price point are there.

Your Myopic and Verbal (typing) opinion has helped me (and at least 5 others) talk ourselves away from BT Snipers products. It is ok to express you opinion. But scolding verbally (rather through type) is not gaining BT any business.

Off my soap box now. You buy whatever you want to. Let us know how that works out for you.
    Mr. Blackmons Dies. Yes load developement. The 3rd group I ever shot with 7s ogive bullets from Blackmon Dies through a Predator Pursuit AR-15 modified with only a Walmart bought Centerpoint scope. Yes the first is a 5 shot group.

Brian.... I have to tell you Duke is hurting your business. I can buy from you or the next guy. The next guy however does not have a soap box promoting, narrowmindedness gent who can barely see past his nose.

I guess though bad publicity is still publicity!
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Buddy

Including the core mold and the auto ejection included in Brian's set, I added up the amounts Dr. Blackmon is advertising and came up with 785.00 for equivalents that I received from Brian. From Dr. Blackmon's websiteby the way, his website is new and wasn't set up a year ago last June when I ordered from Brian. I actually tried to get in touch with the Dr. and only found a phone number at that time. My call was never returned.)

I am completely satisfied with Brian's die set and the other ancillary equipment I ordered. I'm actually astonished by the quality built in and feel the price he charges is well deserved. I just don't understand the "Hate btsniper" threads that show up in the swaging forum. Why don't we just discuss the quality of the dies and hold off on the attacks on the Vendor sponsors and other posters. I learn more from people's info on how they use their dies and the best way to use their dies than from any attack posts.

Bill
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Boolit Master
    Lets stop with the "Hate BT Sniper Thread" myth right now. No one do I know of hates Brian. Nor have I heard one talk c-rap about his quality either. What most do talk c-rap and get sick of is Duke's attitude toward anything open source that is not BT related.

Here yet is another thread turned into talking about BT Sniper. The thread was started (as are most along the lines) about someone elses dies. Is this not free minded? Can we not talk about anothers set of dies without bringing BT into the mix?

​Mentor

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by R.Ph. 380 View Post
    Including the core mold and the auto ejection included in Brian's set, I added up the amounts Dr. Blackmon is advertising and came up with 785.00 for equivalents that I received from Brian. From Dr. Blackmon's websiteby the way, his website is new and wasn't set up a year ago last June when I ordered from Brian. I actually tried to get in touch with the Dr. and only found a phone number at that time. My call was never returned.)

I am completely satisfied with Brian's die set and the other ancillary equipment I ordered. I'm actually astonished by the quality built in and feel the price he charges is well deserved. I just don't understand the "Hate btsniper" threads that show up in the swaging forum. Why don't we just discuss the quality of the dies and hold off on the attacks on the Vendor sponsors and other posters. I learn more from people's info on how they use their dies and the best way to use their dies than from any attack posts.

Bill
    WOW even if your math is correct BT's prices are up over $1000 for everything you need, and where is BT's website again? I also have been in touch with Mr. Blackmon on several occasions in the last 6 months so not sure why you had any trouble there. but then again I swear I've seen a thread called unaswered PM's??? I also have .224 projectiles made by both BT's and Blackmon dies and the Blackmon in my opinion exceeds in quality and performance, and tell us again what was your promised ETA and when did you actually receive your completed set?
    Hey Joe, I don't know if I was included in your figure of 5 others but I am one who has been pursuided away from the BT set by Duke's narrow minded opinions.
    I hadn't seen any of these ridulous post in a while so I actually thought he got his act together but apparently he couldn't help himself again, maybe it's an addiction I've heard Anthony Wiener has a similar issue with something else.
    Last edited by newcastter; 08-11-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Iphone sucks.

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, I don't come into this forum often. But I thought it was about swaging? Not about one particular vendor? There are many vendors that produce swaging products. And I will honestly tell you it's the wait times that have turned me away from trying it out. Not from any particular vendor but the wait from all I found is high. And this was before the current mess started. Just giving an opinion as someone that has no allegiance to any one vendor.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MOcaster View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/224-6s-ogive...item3f27ccc040

http://www.ebay.com/itm/De-rim-die-t...item3f27b85f84

What does everyone thing of these dies? The bullets look soooooo much better than the bullets from the other guy. There isn't a picture of the actual dies but the de-rim die looks pretty good. What say you?
    Back to the OP's question. This looks like another good option especially for someone who doesn't want to wait as long as alot of the other respectable die makers are taking now, I have never seen or heard of him but he obviously has the endorsement of some respected members here.
    If I was thinking about buying I would just call to confirm stock and/or lead times but the product definetly looks good. I am referring to his website not the e-bay pics

Boolit Master

He says that he will make dies for a walnut hill press I am seriously considering trying him out. From everything I Can find out he seems to have an excellent reputation.

Boolit Master

Man, the price sure is right, and his bullets sure look nice in the pics. 575$ plus your choice of press is not a bad way to get into swaging.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    Man o man. I really liked how this thread started but am disappointed by the path which it has taken. We have what I consider to be a unique group of like minded guys and more importantly, well intentioned. First and foremost - competition is good for all of us. I cannot attest to HG-Firearms dies and look forward to hearing a report on this board to their quality. From a distance, they look good. Also, I cannot attest to Blackmon's or any other dies has I have not used them, but I will say they look good and those who use them here seem happy. To me, that is a great recommendation for others to consider. I can tell you, I have a set of BT's dies for the 22lr->223 and am pleased with them and Brian has helped me learn along the way. I appreciate his patience with me and thank him for his assistance.

What is important here is we have a way to share our experience to allow others to decipher for themselves to make the best possible decision for themselves. It would not be prudent for me to not consider one vendors products due to how someone else reviews and/or supports the product. Please make the best possible decision for yourself for the right reason. In this case - BT dies might be right for you or another vendor may be better suited for your needs. In my opinion, we all win in the end (at least I do) when our learning experiences are shared.

I have made numerous mistakes in the past and often times it is buying a product twice and this usually occurs because I didn't but the right product in the first place. Sometimes saving a dollar or two on the front end is a costly mistake. My advice is to ask yourself
    * Am I buying a quality product
    * Am I getting a good value for my money
    * Will I be able to get support if/when needed

I will also add that I am appreciative to what Brian has brought to this forum and my learning. I will also add the Corbin has a great website which has also added to my learning curve and interest. But I think I have learned most by reading the posts on this sub-forum.

I will get off my soapbox now, hope that we return back on-topic, and will add that HG looks like his dies make a good bullet.

In Remembrance

For those of us looking to make more than one caliber.........
    BT Sniper is virtually the ONLY ONE offering options.

I have his:
    .308 (Brian tells me that this is shipping soon!)

I don't see all of those offerings from anyone else.

If you're looking for only .224, OK, lots of options.
    Looking for all the calibers I listed (plus a few additional calibers that others have bought)........... only one active guy to get them from.
    Just saying, and it's worth saying.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

I the interest of truth, H-G offers almost any thing you want. I communicated with John last week about this.

http://hgfirearms.com/SWAGE_PRICES.html