MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: #311440 and#462560 lyman.

Cool #311440 and#462560 lyman.

these two molds have eluded me so far. would any one know of a manufacturer who would make these moulds? the only one i know of is hoch. also if anyone that has either of these would be willing to sell. i am prepared to be generous with pricing as it is hard to obtain any of these rarer items in australia. oh to have purchased all these items when first interested in 1968! but, as they say ....HINDSIGHT IS ALWAYS 20/20.
    hollow-point .......... member in south australia ...............THE MAN WHO NEVER MADE A MISTAKE NEVER MADE ANYTHING!!!! mature age is a privilige granted to but few!

In Remebrance

Well, you missed the 311440 GB a couple years ago. You could always Honcho another GB for both.

Boolit Master

NEI makes almost a dead ringer for the 462560. Perhaps even better as the Lymans tend to be a bit undersize.

There are more 311440s around than you might think so keep looking.

I have never understood the fascinations with these two designs. There are many moulds out there that are better for hunting than either and neither is what I'd call a target design.

The 311440 is a good hunter for a fact....the best? I'm not sure. The best accuracy I've ever gotten from it was 1 1/2" at 100 yards from a scoped .30/06 and a scoped .30/30.

The 462560 is in almost the same boat. Really too heavy for a hunting bullet unless you're close up and personal with dangerous game. Probably it's the only bullet that will give decent accuracy in a Number 1 Ruger in .458 Win Mag due to its long throat.

Aside from these facts and characteristics, they're just another .30 and .45 cast bullet design.

I have both and have shot both extensively in both solid and hollow point form. Just not worth paying a fortune for on E-bone,/beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy
    Hollow Point,

I have a Lyman 311440. Mine's not for sale but I'd be happy to send you some to try out if you like. PM with details if interested.

For the big Lyman check out Saeco 020 (540gr FN GC) which is still available. Thats the one I'd get if I wanted a big 458 mould.

Joe

thanks joe, very much appreciated. can see if i like and then decide. david. pm on way.
    hollow-point .......... member in south australia ...............THE MAN WHO NEVER MADE A MISTAKE NEVER MADE ANYTHING!!!! mature age is a privilige granted to but few!

I have both 311440 and 462560 but as mentioned they both cast smaller than what is most often needed. I can tell you what moulds I have found that in my opinion are much better and are certainly more accurate. RCBS .30-150-FN and NEI 460-505 #453(.463in and 578grs in WW). I also have the SAECO #020 and is a joy to cast with but I would like to see a bit more of a shank on it. The gas check is awfully close to the bottom band making a very thin final lube groove. Its quite accurate nonetheless but it allows a bit more fouling than most other designs in my experience. At least in my 45/70 Ruger No.1.

Boolit Man

molds

Bustem...............

I would also be interested in the 462560 mold, I want it for my 458 Win Mag. I have a Ruger 77 RS in 458 Win Magnum and it would shoot them just fine. So when you decide that it will go send an e-mail. We might do some tradin'

jebb45

Arrow Here ya go

Quote Originally Posted by jebb45 View Post
    Bustem...............

I would also be interested in the 462560 mold, I want it for my 458 Win Mag. I have a Ruger 77 RS in 458 Win Magnum and it would shoot them just fine. So when you decide that it will go send an e-mail. We might do some tradin'

jebb45
    Cast Boolits > Bullet Casting > Group Buys
    Lyman 462560 Mold - Any Interest?
    Appalachian American Clinging to my bible,my guns and my H&G moulds

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago