Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 3/8" 100 yard 5 shot group?

Boolit Master
    I have never shot targets, I don't compete and I like to plink and read gun stuff. The truth is Scovill acts like an experienced rifleman and the winchester 69A is a good rifle except for the magazine system. They have nice adjustable triggers. CCI minimags ain't chopped liver.He could have done it occasionly and come close at other times.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
    It's certainly possible from a high-end match/target rifle with expensive ammunition and an expensive target scope.

That said, I lost respect for Scovill a long time ago, and this doesn't help at all. . .
    You are right.

I've done this good or better myself. But not much better, and I had the tool for the job.

Of course, I was using a Remington 513T target rifle, and a Lyman Supertargetspot scope (20 power). I don't remember the ammo, but this was back in the 60's, when most 22 ammo was pretty good. From the bench, using bags at that.

I bet I could do the same today, with an appropriate scope (still have the rifle, though not the scope) and I'd have to use match ammo, like Eley, as today's 22 ammo is not even close to as good as it used to be.

Now, Scovill could have gotten a freak group, but with his combo, certainly not repeatable.
    Last edited by Nickle; 08-14-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Boolit Master

And, by the way, I can't do 3/8 consistently. At least not with that gun. 1/2 to 3/4 MOA, yes.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi guys - I'm new here but not new to shooting. I've just tried 6 different types of subsonic ammo through my CM-2 Russian target rifle (it's been "sporterised" with a chopped barrel and a scope rail and moderator fitted) I used 65 yards as that's my typical rabbit shooting range. The conditions were far from good and only one 5 shot group with each type was tried. The only ammunition to give sub 1 moa was Eley tennex, top quality target ammunition.
    Here's a short video of the results:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqRw_xDtrFc

Welcome to the board. Was that you truck behind the target?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    Welcome to the board. Was that you truck behind the target?
    Thanks for the welcome - No that is an old disused caravan/trailer.

Boolit Master

I have a 69A Winchester. It is very accurate. How accurate? I don't know. I have never shot a group with it at 100 yards. I mostly just shoot it at vermin.

I shot 31/40 today in Silhouette! My best ever. This was with open sights as shown above.

Too windy to shoot for groups today I'm hoping to shoot in one of my clubs .22 BR matches soon. Then I will be able to test this accuracy thing a little closer.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

My wife's CZ452 will do 3/8" at 50 yds with it's favorite fodder - PMC Zapper, believe it or not. As to 100 yds, it would
    sure have to be a calm day for that to happen. Can't do the 3/8" at 50 with any wind at all, either.

I have a Rem #4 RB that I have occasionally done 3/8 or so at 50 with the irons! Cannot do it on demand, or maybe
    ever again since the eyes are not working as well now as they were even a year ago.

I have Remington Speedmaster that can put them all into one hole at 25 yds if you do your part with OLD Win Powerpoints.
    Put a scope on it, it was so darned accurate. I don't ever remember shooting it at 50 with good ammo.

Just because YOU can't do it, doesn't mean that nobody can do it. I have seen some amazing shots that you would
    call "liar" on, but they happened. I have done some stuff that most wouldn't believe, so I don't brag on it, no point.
    Just sometimes things work out.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 08-19-2013 at 11:16 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Fellows,
    W/O casting doubt on anyone's abilities or rifles...maybe they just have really a good day @ the range, when everything is working right. However, the simple fact is to many of these guys abound on the 'net:

They can always outshoot we mere mortals!
    Last edited by enfieldphile; 09-29-2013 at 11:18 AM.

With that rest & that keyboard............mortals don't stand a chance.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Great!

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldphile View Post
    Fellows,
    W/O casting doubt on anyone's abilities, rifles or maybe they just have a good day @ the range when everything is working right; the simple fact is these guys abound on the 'net:

The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Waksupi: Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    With that rest & that keyboard............mortals don't stand a chance.
    Right you are LAH It's a funny thing, guys will bemoan the cost of a best quality rest and rear bag.

Consider this: chances are a guy will not bring every rifle he owns to the range on every trip. However, I promise he will bring his rest & bag every trip! So what's the point in buying a flimsy plastic or small footprint & loosey-goosey rest and a bowed-bottom bag?

Pay for the right products one time and be done w/ it! Remember, it only hurts for a second when a guy swipes his debit card or presses the COMPLETE ORDER NOW button!

There, that's better! Winchester 52C & Unertl 30X atop the SEB rest and SEB BigFoot bag.

I found the original Joystick handle a bit long for some rifles. I dug into my parts stash and came up w/ an old chuck. A pill bottle and some epoxy for a knob. I bought the long 3/8-24 bolt & nut.

A new (cheap Chinese) large drill chuck for a counterweight on the opposite end.

Plenty of room now.

Last edited by enfieldphile; 09-29-2013 at 11:20 AM.

That is a nice front rest. I need a much better one than I have.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldphile View Post
    Fellows,
    W/O casting doubt on anyone's abilities, rifles or maybe they just have a good day @ the range when everything is working right; the simple fact is these guys abound on the 'net:

LOL - can I steal that?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

What are the brass looking tits just behind & under the front bag?

Artful,

Yes, you and any of the other fellows may use this pic. Whenever a Keyboard Shooter is shoveling the do-do, please post it!

LAH,

They are the 4 Allen screws that hold the front plate tight. The 4 flaps slide between the front & rear plates and the platform. Loosen all 8 screws and the bag slides out for a quick change. Look carefully @ this pic. You can see the front brown flaps w/ eyelets sticking out of the front bottom. Note the old lead counterweight, now replaced by the clean looking chuck on the front stub.

Below pic you can see one of the rear flaps. The SEB rest takes standard, Protector size bags.

LAH,

The rifle is a Remington 40XR BR KS. The Remington Custom Shop made around 200 of these. It's a single-shot .22LR. The R stands for Rimfire, BR stands for Bench Rest, KS for Kevlar Stock. The Custom Shop contracted w/ McMillan for the stocks. The Remington trigger is adjusted to 1#. The Tuner was not put on by the Custom Shop. The Tuner is a clamp-on unit made by Time Precision. An older gentleman from our club, who no longer shoots due to health issues, bought the rifle new in 1997. It had been in storage for 7 years. A year and half ago I offered to buy it. It came w/ the Weaver 36X scope (installed by previous owner). The only changes I made was the bases and rings. The previous owner installed Std. style bases and rings. I changed the bases to Weaver ($7.00 @ Wal-Mart) I had an extra set of Silver color Burris Signature Zee rings (w/ the floating, synthetic inserts) already.

Right now, I hold the club 50-yard .22 Benchrest record with this rifle, 250 15X.

Ignore the RWS ammo in the pics. It did not like RWS. It likes Eley ammo. Nope, tain't fer sale!

Targets shot @ 50 yards

Last edited by enfieldphile; 09-29-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Thank you for the closeup of your eley edge target, that's what a 3/8" group looks like.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast