WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 TCM case question

In Remembrance

22 TCM case question

I get some PM's about this little phart of a case and even though I thought my google-foo was pretty good I guess it isn't. Does anyone know where to find something like a Wilson case gauge for that little pip-squeek?
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master
    If you send two or three cases Wilson will make a holder for it

In Remembrance
    Thing is I have no cases to send, I can't even find the S.A.A.M.I. specs on that round either. I get asked more times than I can remember if I make them and I haven't even looked into the process to make them yet, maybe because I can't find the gauges for it.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

Boolit Man

As far as I know this caliber has not been submitted to the SAAMI spec organization officially yet. I have loaded rounds new brass and a gun that I can measure the chamber on and I will post a drawing here but it would be nice to get the official drawing from armscor and I have asked them for it.I am getting ready to make or modify a set of dies for it so I have to get some good measurements anyway.
    "The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Should be able to get a reamer drawing from Pacific Matt. And I believe Wilson can make a gauge from that.

Boolit Master
    Contact cooper arms in Montana.

Take care

r1kk1

Grumpa, I have a jig for that one too.

ADMIN

I will have cases and factory loaded rounds in about 10 days.
    Matt, I can take a couple apart and fire the primers and send them to you if you want.
    I have lee dies that should be here about the same time as well.

In Remembrance
    It's one thing to have cases for it, when you start making something new from something else the 1 major factor is shoulder location. When I make things I use indicators so that I know where the shoulder location is and that's called a gauge dimension. Just when I do the 300BLK cases I have what I need right on the table and I check periodically to make sure something doesn't move, that's what I call being in control of the operation.

Not to mention other diameters and dimensions that fall into place that a person just has to know where the limits are. I watched a youtube video on someone making 22TCM brass and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He's got so many different head stamps in the same batch and he's making brass like that?

I don't know about other folks out there but anyone that's ever ordered my 221 Fireball brass the brass itself is withing 2gr of each other because I use the same head stamped brass. You start mixing and matching brass that's an invitation to disaster. Not only is the thickness of the brass different from 1 brand to the next but so is the quality. Tell you 1 thing, I wouldn't be putting that guy high on my list of places to get cases from that's for sure.

Edit: I e-mailed LEWILSON about the gauge for the 22TCM so I'll take the wait and see approach and see what happens....
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 07-31-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Annealing Services

In Remembrance
    I got an e-mail from LEWILSON about the gauge for that case and here's what they said:

Hello,

I am sorry we do not offer that caliber in our Case Gages. *We just don't have the tooling to make them.

Good luck with your search!

Customer Service
    L.E. Wilson Inc.
    PO Box 324
    404 Pioneer Ave
    Cashmere, WA 98815
    www.lewilson.com
    www.lewilsondirect.com

Figured I would put it in here in case someone else had the same idea I had.

Annealing Services

Thats a shame. Is there a reamer out there for this?

In Remembrance
    I'm sure there is,but.....do I really want to pay "X" amount for a reamer and "X" amount to have someone make a gauge on something I might make around .07ea on?

Annealing Services

Found a lot of threads saying so and so makes a reamer or that person sells a reamer. I couldn't find an actual reamer or anything. Sorry.

Boolit Bub
    D. Kiff made my gunsmith a reamer, I requested the leade be shorten. Three dummy rounds were sent. Still waiting on the hd sp ga though. Factory cases will fit a Wilson 221 FB case holder(new), on mine there's .055 of the case mouth sticking out. I'll probably have my gunsmith face off the case holder another .050. The case necks are very tight, I had to use a K&M neck expander to open them up. I ordered a 12 tw Lilja barrel for my gun. I have some of the excellent MOE moulds I want to try out when the rifle is completed. On dies, I believe Lee made the 1st. CH4D is making a run, I ordered them 9 weeks ago. I also understand that Hornady will be producing dies. This case is very strong. Only thing wrong I've found is a big burr in the flash hole, something like 1 in 8 has this ( this was on 1500 cases). I went ahead and uniformed the flash holes and primer pockets while I was at it. I used the 221 FB case holder while uniforming them with a cordless drill. Saves cramping the hands.

Boolit Man

I just got off the phone with ch4d and their first run of dies is all sold , they wont have any more for 6 months at least. I got some remanufactured brass from AmmoSupplyWarehouse and it is all mixed headstamp. All made from .223 brass. Ammosupply warehouse also says they have 500 sets of dies on order from Hornady but the delivery has been delayed many times. I will get the hornady dies as soon as they are available , but in the mean time I am modifying a set of .223 dies to at least neck size seat and crimp. I would apreciate any details you could share here .
    "The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

In Remembrance
    I would think that 223 dies would require a lot of work to do that. I would see if I could get my hands on 221 Fireball dies and to be honest I don't think those will need to be modified at all. I have a set of dies in 221 Fireball and without actually having a 22TCM cases right here in front of me I can't be sure but I'm almost certain it would work.

Annealing Services

Boolit Man

This is a drawing that I made from measurements averaged over several new 22tcm cases I have right from armscor. https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlj1qks06raxx9b/22tcm_prm.pdf I hope this helps a little bit. I do agree the .221 fireball would be very easy to modify dies and make into 22 tcm.

In Remembrance
    I'm talking the 221 Fireball die for the sizing and the seating and crimp operation and not modifying them for the 22TCM. The thing I dislike about what you got is the fact you have a hodge-podge of head stamps going on. Just for grins I would weigh just a few and note the variation and think, I'm getting "X" amount of variance from one to the next so I know I'm going to have some pressure variations. Don't know about you but in my book if they aren't done right then why sell them?

I want to dive into this matter a bit closer, I can't help it I like a challenge and when something is harder.....it makes it all that much more enjoyable to me when I can figure it out. I may have to make a few PM's and have a gauge actually made for these, you can't tell me they make these things and look at them and pass them off as being OK without gauges.

Annealing Services

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    I will have cases and factory loaded rounds in about 10 days.
    Matt, I can take a couple apart and fire the primers and send them to you if you want.
    I have lee dies that should be here about the same time as well.
    Where did you find the Lee Dies?

ADMIN

gunbroker

They were VERY expensive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast