Load DataWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: MiHec 311410 Cramer

Boolit Master
    braol I got my GC .316 4 hole, looks like you got lucky . As far as pins go I checked them all in my three mould outfit . I have found that all fit all , except the deep/long HP pins . The bottom collar is a little big but I can/will spin then on my drill press and dress the until the blocks close . I say to Miha well done , do NOT send me any replacments . I am happy , and for you to save the time and expense into paying on that good machinery . I want you to continue to make customs for us .

Boolit Master
    I haven't even checked mine yet, but if Miha sends more pins- I'll send him a little money. Yes I know he feels responseable for this minor screw-up. But I am like Mohillbilly on this. I would rather he made money and KEEPS doing this.

Miha- let me now what my 3 sets of pins for 4 cavity molds plus shipping cost you. Janet will send you some money.....Dale

Boolit Buddy
    Cmon guys, has anyone done any testing at all with this bullet in a 300 BLK? I am asking because I almost feel like I am spinning my wheels...I did some more testing today. I moved the COL in increments of .005. I started at 1.885 and went to 1.900. I was using 18 grains of Lil Gun and had no pressure signs on any of the load. The bullets were all over the place but did seem to actually start forming a group @ 1.900. I am going to go up in increments of .005 until it feels like it is engageing the bore. At that point I am going to back up .005. Going to find the load that groups the best then I am going to back of the powder charge until it falls in. Or maybe if anyone else has already found something that seems to work in their rifle I might expound on their work. I don't know. I will say I have had no malfunctions at any kind up to this point, and that, as always, is a good sign.

Boolit Grand Master

Not 300BLK but I seated mine out so that the case mouth just covered the back edge of the front driving band for my .303 Brit. That gave me as much throat filling boolit as I could get and gave good accuracy.

Since you are using a semi auto, you may be limited to how much boolit can stick out of the brass and still chamber reliably but that is a guess on my part (bolt action guy here).

Probably not any help at all. I hope you get it worked out though. I am getting good results and enjoying shooting these. It is fun to blow stuff up!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Howdy View Post
    Cmon guys, has anyone done any testing at all with this bullet in a 300 BLK? I am asking because I almost feel like I am spinning my wheels...I did some more testing today. I moved the COL in increments of .005. I started at 1.885 and went to 1.900. I was using 18 grains of Lil Gun and had no pressure signs on any of the load. The bullets were all over the place but did seem to actually start forming a group @ 1.900. I am going to go up in increments of .005 until it feels like it is engageing the bore. At that point I am going to back up .005. Going to find the load that groups the best then I am going to back of the powder charge until it falls in. Or maybe if anyone else has already found something that seems to work in their rifle I might expound on their work. I don't know. I will say I have had no malfunctions at any kind up to this point, and that, as always, is a good sign.
    From my measurements 1.905" is max you can go in a G.I. mag with a non-modified rib. Beyond that and you will need to use a Pmag or Lancer and file the ribs down. I loaded a batch to that 1.905" right off the bat, but have not been able to get out and shoot because of the fire danger out here in the west.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Howdy View Post

Heading to the range tomorrow. But it's only preliminary. I haven't had much luck with lilgun and cast in the 300blk, so I'm trying something else.

Boolit Buddy
    I always use a 20 round pmag or 20 round GI in the 300 BLK. I can always try using H110, it's what I use for the 110 grain Vmax bullet and I get excellent results. I don't care if I can only load 5 or 10 rounds...I just want the thing to shoot straight. I will try the 1.905 next venture...I will use a sampling of H110 and Lil Gun.

Thanks for your replies guys...

I appreciate it...seemed like tumbleweeds and clint eastwood cowboy music around here...

Boolit Master
    WOW whats a 300 BLACKOUT ? I got these for my 7.62 x 39 ,7.62x54R ,.30 carbine rifle/pistol/revolver , 1917 Enfield ,1903A3s and A4s, M1s , M1D , Brit P14 , MK V , Brit No. 4 , .32 Single sixes And Buckeye 32-20/32H&R , SP 101 327 Federal . might even work in my C 96 broom .30 Mauser .
    Last edited by Mohillbilly; 08-20-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohillbilly View Post
    WOW whats a 300 BLACKOUT ? I got these for my 7.62 x 39 ,7.62x54R ,.30 carbine rifle/pistol/revolver , 1917 Enfield ,1903A3s and A4s, M1s , M1D , Brit P14 , MK V , Brit No. 4 , .32 Single sixes And Buckeye 32-20/32H&R , SP 101 327 Federal . might even work in my C 96 broom .30 Mauser .
    300 Blackout? Nothing here to see. Go back under your rock.

Where have you been? Now I am going to have to play with you a bit. It is a 300 fireball with the neck a little loose so the cases do not need to be reamed. It is a commercial round now.

Ok, down and dirty. It is a 223 case cut at the neck, and sized again to accept a 308 bullet. It has roughly the power of a 30-30, but a touch less than a 7.62x39. Think of it as an American x39 that will feed in normal G.I. mags. You can try it out in an AR-15 just by switching a barrel. Works well supersonic, as well as subsonic due to a long throat. The argument goes back and forth on the comparisons to the 30-30, and 7.62x39 so I will let you make your own judgment on that.
    Last edited by xacex; 08-20-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by frozone View Post
    heading to the range tomorrow. But it's only preliminary. I haven't had much luck with lilgun and cast in the 300blk, so i'm trying something else.
    rl-7?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    rl-7?
    I'll let you know when it works

<edit>
    No, While I use RL7 for the big subsonic stuff, and it works well.
    I doubt it would work with < 150Gr stuff. I don't think you'd get better than 60% burn.

OK, just got back. 2400 and the MP311410 solid(130gr) in the 300BLK.

I have a pistol length gas system, so this likely won't work in a carbine or longer.

311410 GC seated to the crimp groove.
    It works in normal GI mags too - the ogive is enough to sit behind the rib

Started at 12gr - bolt locked back fine but accuracy seemed poor.
    I only loaded 3 of each charge so I can't tell you how well it did only that I missed the target ( a paper back book BTW - I forgot I gave my target holder to the son in law last time)

Ended at 13.6gr - pressure signs!!! Rather flat primers.
    Had one flat primer out of 3 rounds at 13.4gr - the other 2 looked fine.
    13.2gr was normal.
    I'd say 13.3 is a max load.

Accuracy seemed best in the 12.8 gr to 13.2 gr range and I'm loading those tonite for testing tomorrow.
    I'll set up the crony also and shoot 10 rounds of each for deviation and 10 for accuracy.

I'll let you know.
    </edit>
    Last edited by Frozone; 08-20-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Mohillbilly View Post
    braol I got my GC .316 4 hole, looks like you got lucky . As far as pins go I checked them all in my three mould outfit . I have found that all fit all , except the deep/long HP pins . The bottom collar is a little big but I can/will spin then on my drill press and dress the until the blocks close . I say to Miha well done , do NOT send me any replacments . I am happy , and for you to save the time and expense into paying on that good machinery . I want you to continue to make customs for us .
    Yeah I got a hold of Miha. He ran out of 2 cav molds so I got upgraded to a 4 cav.

These have worked real well so far in my AKs, powder coated and no gas-checks. Had I known about the powder coating I would have ordered a plain base mold instead of the gas check mold, but the GC bullets work just fine PCed without gas checks installed. I am really liking the powder coat.

Boolit Master
    xacex I have a couple of AR lowers to build yet , maybe I'll look into the blackout . I have an old mini 14 SS side folder. but since the market went nuts I got some mags and AR lowers to play with, but don't have any uppers , or receiver parts yet . I always thought of 223 as poodle popper round and instead focused on the full power battle rifles . Now that I think of it there's probably half a dozen 30-30s here too.I will consider the blk round for the builds as well . I just thought there was an awful lot of undeserved stirring over a new kid on the block . I suppose if all you want or can afford is an AR , it is an other good way of making a .30 cal. hole . Me I like all kinds just some more than others .

Boolit Master
    Same here. There is not a 30 cal I haven't liked yet. This one is just the new kid on the block so it gets all of the attention.

Boolit Buddy
    Same here. There is not a 30 cal I haven't liked yet. This one is just the new kid on the block so it gets all of the attention.
    Yea...as far as a 30 cal goes it is far more affordable than shooting my 308 guns...I have a few... It is a round that gives you the smaller packaged round of the AK and the versatility and the precision of the AR platform. You can drive your rounds from supersonic to subsonic. There's not an AK around that can even come close in accuracy to a proper built and set up AR.

The reason the 30 cal is such a big hit on the AR platform is that it features that little bit extra for those that don't have confidence in the 556 round.

And for what it's worth...I have no plans at all of firing these 130 grain cast bullets in my match grade ArmaLite AR10.--or either of my FNFALs.

And to Mohillbilly...my own AR's are not cheap. Nor would I have a cheap AR.

I think the Miha molds produce excellent cast bullets. I have his molds in 45, 9mm, and 40 cal. I think they are great. This is my first trial into firing cast from a rifle. Until I can get

some better results though the jury is still out for me. My next trip to the range will find me going back to my old standby powder...H110. If that, along with a few more adjustments

in depth don't get these bullets inside an inch at 25 yards then I'll just consider this a failure for my uses. I may be ablet to get it to work in my AK or SKS but I doubt the bullet will be big enough at .311 unsized...who knows.

Boolit Master
    I have got the lee 155 ak boolit into an inch at 25 yards, and I have no doubt this one will do it too. It may be a solid point, but I will get it there someday. I found the noses were getting beat to **** hitting the feed ramp so hollow-points may not be the ticket for great medium range accuracy in a 300 BO. For two legged critters at close range it doesn't matter so much, and the hollow-point will do its job, and reduce unintended casualties. That is if you are willing to use a cast, reloaded boolit in that role. There is controversy surrounding that topic so I will leave it alone.

I did get a membership to the local private shooting club(last opening) by invitation so I will be able to do some testing in the near future. I have some loaded with H110 to try out when I get a chance. Powder-coated of course.

Boolit Buddy
    I have got the lee 155 ak boolit into an inch at 25 yards, and I have no doubt this one will do it too. It may be a solid point, but I will get it there someday. I found the noses were getting beat to **** hitting the feed ramp so hollow-points may not be the ticket for great medium range accuracy in a 300 BO. For two legged critters at close range it doesn't matter so much, and the hollow-point will do its job, and reduce unintended casualties. That is if you are willing to use a cast, reloaded boolit in that role. There is controversy surrounding that topic so I will leave it alone.

I did get a membership to the local private shooting club(last opening) by invitation so I will be able to do some testing in the near future. I have some loaded with H110 to try out when I get a chance. Powder-coated of course.
    I've seen your powder-coated bullets...they look really good. And that you don't have to deal with lubing the bullets is a plus as well. That **** seems to get all over my seating die.

Boolit Master
    Captain_Howdy I did not say ARs were cheap , I said ."I suppose if all you want or can afford is an AR , it is an other good way of making a .30 cal. hole . Me I like all kinds just some more than others ". Some of these .30 cal . platforms have different uses , and standards of use . I have a few of them , and enjoy them for what they are , and will undoubtedly own a 300 blk when I can get the parts for my builds . There is no perfect .30 cal. out there , only good fits/ choices .

Boolit Master
    Define what a cheep AR is? I build them myself, and have never purchased a factory rifle so my idea of what they should cost is screwed a bit. The most expensive build to date was a 50 Beowulf, and that was because the barrel and bolt were to the tune of 400$. I consider a factory trigger without anything done to it, standard front sight post, and carbine hand-guard to be undesirable, but to each his own. The DPMS Oracle is about the cheapest I have seen, but it can be made into a good rifle with a barrel change, and a trigger. I have an affinity to stainless barrels that I need to let go, but they seem to work well. I have free float barrels on all of my AR's now from 50 Beowulf, to 5.56 pistol. Honestly, I couldn't tell you I could shoot any better than with a DPMS at this point. The whole AAC, Larue, Midwest industries, ect, ect. is marketing as far as I see it. You wont see anyone posting their rifle on ARFcom without the prerequisites, and it doesn't make the rifle, it just makes it cost more. Even "budget" AR's are expensive as far as what I consider reasonable "for what they are". I can buy a used model 670 for 200$, but cant build an AR for under 600$ anymore.

Getting back to the boolit at hand, I have loaded 3006, 54R, 300 Blackout, and x39 to try, but will take each one slowly. The 300 BO just happens to take the least powder so I am giving it a little more attention than it deserves, but that will change if "the load" works with the larger cases. There is a ton working against me right now as far as several cartridges loaded, powder coating boolits, different pin lengths, ect. ect., not to mention life which seems to get in the way at times. It may be next year or more before I post a 1" group on anything at 25 yards, let alone 100.

Captain_Howdy, you wont believe how clean my rifle dies are now that I am doing PC boolits. It is like I don't even load cast. If it works well in rifles I am never going back!

Boolit Buddy
    that is awesome xacex...I need to try the whole PC thing....it's just more to learn and seems almost like an entirely new skill set as well.

As far as stainless barrels go...I have been making moves toward stainless years ago. What I love about a stainless barrel is how weather resistant they are...a big plus down here in the south. With a quality SS barrel I have found no accuracy issues at all. I love mine. Gonna try some more 300 BLK loads tomorrow. So I can maybe have some more imput here as well. Gonna try the H110 and see how it goes.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast