RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: MiHec 311410 Cramer

Boolit Master

MiHec 311410 Cramer

Just had a chance to cast these tonight and check OAL for using this boolit in a blackout AR-15 platform rifle. Without using the crip grove my OAL for feeding in a non-modified G.I. magazine was 1.905". The edges of the hollowpoint were hard to get perfect, but a little extra tin helped. I have a nice pile of perfect ones, and blasting ones. When I start shooting some of these I will test to see how uniform the edges of the hollowpoint have to be for accuracy, or is it matters at all. This mold drops boolits like butter! Well worth the wait.

Boolit Buddy
    all right, found your thread there xacex! Put forth a few pics of your masterpieces bro. The relative humidity in south Alabama right now is upwards of 100 percent. I dare not fire up the pot till all this rainy weather and humidity goes away...maybe I can do some this weekend in the middle of the night if the monsoons will subside. Cant wait to get some checks and try this one myself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Howdy View Post
    all right, found your thread there xacex! Put forth a few pics of your masterpieces bro. The relative humidity in south Alabama right now is upwards of 100 percent. I dare not fire up the pot till all this rainy weather and humidity goes away...maybe I can do some this weekend in the middle of the night if the monsoons will subside. Cant wait to get some checks and try this one myself.
    I'm a few miles South of ya Captain Howdy and you are spot on, heat and Humidity make it hard to breath!!!! Hope we get rain again soon so I can fire up the pot.

Boolit Master

Definitely need some pics for those of us who can't get to the casting bench right now.

Boolit Grand Master

SOMEBODY SHOOT SOMETHING and post pictures please!

The anticipation is killing me. I am still waiting! I have milk jugs lined up and waiting to die violent deaths.

I want my mould, I want my mould... Yeah, like an anxious kid at Christmas!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130730_162104.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	77722

These ones have the good H/P nose edge. These are separated for bolt action guns.

Name:	IMG_20130729_151329.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	77723

These ones not so good on the nose but found that they will be fine in the semi auto. The AR smashed the nose enough that they looked like that anyway.

Name:	IMG_20130730_161945.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	77724

These are the solids. Fed one several times checking cycling in the AR, and nose damage, and these handled it well.

Name:	IMG_20130730_161851.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	77725

Name:	IMG_20130730_140213.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	77741

Nose damage to the H/P loading into the 300BO.

Name:	IMG_20130730_183115.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	77742

300BO,308,54R,and 30-06 loaded to the crimp groove.

I need some 30-30 dies.
    Last edited by xacex; 07-30-2013 at 09:50 PM.

Boolit Master

Name:	IMG_20130730_161835.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	77726Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130730_124238.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	77727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130730_123520.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	77728

A small pile of H/P's. Getting some ready for a fresh coat of powder. This will be my first real attempt at PC H/P rifle boolits. So far it has been no love with the P/C, and the rifles.

I will load up some in the 91/59, and 300BO tonight, and see what they do to gallons of water in the AM.
    Last edited by xacex; 07-30-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Boolit Master

anyone have pin problems? mold won't close with long pins...

Even after heat cycling, my gas check mold with long HP pins won't close. My plain base mold with a flat nose and short HP pin works great.

I mic'd the pin shoulders and the long HP pin shoulder is 0.0015" wider than short HP pin and 0.0020" wider than the flat nose pin.

Guess I'll spin the shoulder against some fine grit sandpaper and remove a smidge from the shoulder of long HP pin.

Just wondered if anyone else had run into any similar situation.

Thanks, Brad
    Last edited by BK7saum; 07-31-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Even after heat cycling, my gas check mold with long HP pins won't close. My plain base mold with a flat nose and short HP pin works great.

I mic'd the pin shoulders and the long HP pin shoulder is 0.0015" wider than short HP pin and 0.0020" wider than the flat nose pin.

Guess I'll spin the shoulder against some fine grit sandpaper and remove a smudge from the shoulder of long HP pin.

Just wondered if anyone else had run into any similar situation.

Thanks, Brad
    I've read a few reports of lateral pins being a bit out of spec. However, (assuming that you've never run Miha's HP molds before) most closing issues are a result of the lateral pins being tightly screwed into the hollow point pin. Lossen them 1/2 to one full turn so that the can "float" in the mold and find their set. Makes a HUGE difference.

Boolit Master

Well, fixed the long pins/deep HP pins. Chucked the base in a drill and turned it against a fine diamond eze-lap. Tuned the shoulder down 0.0015 on one and 0.0020" on the other. Now they match the flat and short HP pin shoulders.

Mold close fine now. Pot is still hot. Guess I'll get to cast a few pretty quick.

Brad
    Last edited by BK7saum; 07-31-2013 at 07:21 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    I've read a few reports of lateral pins being a bit out of spec. However, (assuming that you've never run Miha's HP molds before) most closing issues are a result of the lateral pins being tightly screwed into the hollow point pin. Lossen them 1/2 to one full turn so that the can "float" in the mold and find their set. Makes a HUGE difference.
    I have about 6 or 7 MP molds. Just started this last year though so I'm definitely not an expert. However. The pins were free-floating as I have also run into problems with tightened pins.

Boolit Buddy
    Just wondered if anyone else had run into any similar situation
    Yes my large pins were fat too. The funny thing is I did exactly the same thing you did to fix them, LOL.

I would like to say thank you to all that were in on getting this buy together. It's been a long wait, now if I could just find the time to get out and cast some......

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    SOMEBODY SHOOT SOMETHING and post pictures please!

The anticipation is killing me. I am still waiting! I have milk jugs lined up and waiting to die violent deaths.

I want my mould, I want my mould... Yeah, like an anxious kid at Christmas! Longbow
    I told you in the "waiting" thread, you have to do what xacex did, put the lawn chair and iced tea next to the mail box and the mold will be right there. Worked perfectly for him.

No shooting yet (we are all waiting on longbow to post pics of groups) but I cast with the plain base mold yesterday and today I cast up some of the gas check boolits both using the short pins. With my alloy a checked boolit weighs 126 gr and with a 30 Cal check (no lube) it's 130.1 gr. Gas check shank is perfect with a slip fit for the Hornady checks & they crimp on tight. The PB boolit weight is 129.6. Makes me wonder how Miha knew exactly what alloy I was using.

Both molds "using my alloy" drop boolits at a few tenths under .311" but that's an alloy issue, not a mold or Miha thing and that's about perfect for my use anyway. Both molds cast the front driving band .0004" under nominal bullet diameter, that could be a benefit in rifles and I doubt it will make a lick of difference one way or the other in my revolver.

I have other MP molds and each one is perfection and a joy to cast with but with this mold Miha out did himself, both of these molds are simply amazing. Clean, pre-heat and it just starts raining perfect boolits. I have four cav SAECO's that couldn't keep up with the production of these and they aren't HP and they cost more.

xacex, the nose fill-out issue you had is a pin temp issue, not pot temp but pin temp. I cast these at 725 with a mold pre-heated to 485, left the mold at that temp in the hot plate oven for several minutes while I fluxed. Started pouring lead and every nose was perfectly filled out. The good noses you pictured were probably after you cast for awhile and got the pins hot. A hot HP pin is a happy HP pin. If the pin isn't hot enough it draws heat from the alloy allowing it to begin setting up before complete fill-out.

Rick
    Last edited by cbrick; 08-01-2013 at 06:44 AM.
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the tip Rick! Playing with the hot plate I was able to get the pins good and hot, but finding a pace that keeps the mold temp where it needs to be and not over heating to the point of a brittle boolit is difficult for me. I am still analog. Haven't even moved into vacuum tubes yet.

It doesn't look like I will be killing any jugs today. Work just keeps calling...

Name:	IMG_20130731_173326.jpg 
Views:	570 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	77851
    Last edited by xacex; 07-31-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    Thanks for the tip Rick! Playing with the hot plate I was able to get the pins good and hot, but finding a pace that keeps the mold temp where it needs to be and not over heating to the point of a brittle boolit is difficult for me. I am still analog. Haven't even moved into vacuum tubes yet.

It doesn't look like I will be killing any jugs today. Work just keeps calling...

Name:	IMG_20130731_173326.jpg 
Views:	570 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	77851
    those look very good in black especially contrasting against the checks...I wanna see some pics of those same ones loaded...

It has been storming all afternoon...no casting for me...I cant even ride the Harley
    Seems like it has been raining every day for the past 3 months down here!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Howdy View Post
    Seems like it has been raining every day for the past 3 months down here!
    I will take your rain! It is so dry out here in the west I am afraid of driving in the woods. I carry a shovel, two fire extinguishers, and several gallon jugs of water

Boolit Grand Master

I WANT MY MOULD! I WANT MY MOULD! I WANT MY MOULD!

Really I do. I am jealous of all you guys already casting!

Lawn chair in front of the mailbox my butt! We have a mosquito plague here ~ I would be bled dry in about 1/2 hour then I would never get to play with my mould.

Those black boolits do look pretty nice.

Now, I have to take a deep breath and be patient. Canada Post is not fast so I may have a while to wait yet.

I wonder why that front band is casting undersize. I wanted it to fill the throat in my .303 so full diameter would be best. We'll see what mine casts when I get it. As long as is shoots well I will be a happy camper.

Longbow (Impatiently waiting)

Boolit Master
    Lol! I wish I could help you get casting. You can Drive down to Oregun and play with mine. I'm Canadian as well, but I wont cross into my homeland with anything good for the border patrol to take. They are like nazi's! On both sides!

Boolit Master

I wonder why that front band is casting undersize. I wanted it to fill the throat in my .303 so full diameter would be best. We'll see what mine casts when I get it. As long as is shoots well I will be a happy camper.

Longbow (Impatiently waiting)
    With powder coating it was .313.

Boolit Grand Master

I wonder why that front band is casting undersize. I wanted it to fill the throat in my .303 so full diameter would be best. We'll see what mine casts when I get it. Longbow (Impatiently waiting)
    Oopsie!

That was a typo, my first . . . (Yea, right )

I corrected it in the post. It is supposed to say .0004" under, a little less than a half thousand, not four thousands. Sorry if I caused any consternation.

Rick
    Last edited by cbrick; 08-01-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast