WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 451 volunteer rifle

Boolit Buddy
    Nice shootin' Gordon, makes me want to head out to the gun club and shoot my own Volunteer--but with temps near 0° F right now and snow a bit deep, I may wait a couple of months...btw I have had good accuracy with both the 451114 and a 530 grain Postel style sized to .451", in pure lead. I'm just using a milk carton overpowder wad, lubing bullets with SPG. No leading, but as you, I'm wiping between shots.

Quote Originally Posted by heelerau View Post
    Gentlemen, Happy New Year , trust you all had a Merry Christmas as well.
    Yesterday, I took the Volunteer back to the range after a hiatus of several months. 85 grains Goex FFg, this time a waxed felt wad over powder, beer coaster wad on top, wipe with a dampened flannel patch via a proper fitted ribbed brass jag, which allowed the bore to be cleaned to the top of the wad. I lowered the rear sight a couple of turns and brought the group pretty well central. It took me two adjustments hence the 3 shots in the white at about 1'oclock. It was a hot bright still morning. 13 shots, 10 to score at 70. Range 200m. I could lower the rear sight another 1/4 turn and that should bring it completely central.
    A mate from the Canada's is sending me some postal bullets both in pure lead and 20/1 lead tin. I suspect this bullet should perform much better than my current one which has a long unsupported ogive.

Cheers

Gordon...

Gents,
    finally got the trial bullets from my mate in the Canadas, came by dogsled !! It is a lee shaver bullet, 500 grain, from Buffalo Arms. Will get to try it Sunday, at 200m off the bench. Here is my last target, also at 200 m off the bench, an improvement, will have to drop the rear sight a tad to dead centre it. I realise it is still not a great group, but things are improving, mainly my cleaning technique. The 3 shots in the white at about 1 o'clock were my sighters, after which I adjusted the rear sight . The day was hot and still, little wind and ver bright. 80 grains of FFg Goex, waxed felt over powder, beer coaster wad over waxed wad. All bullets dropped to the top of the powder charge with just the weight of the range rod.
    This target has been shot with my current bullet, 3 groove, long unsupported ogive.

Cheers

heeler
    Last edited by heelerau; 02-24-2016 at 07:21 AM.
    Keep yor hoss well shod an' yo powda dry !

Gents, a mate on the American Long Rifle Forum, a very kind and knowledgeable chap, sent me some of these bullets and a sizer die, even though he used different Lyman numbers going back to the late '50s and '60s, I am pretty sure this bullet is the same as the Whitworth 457121PH 475 grain. anyway once again a cold blowy day, I shot 13 rounds and got the best group yet. As this bullet is nearly 100 grains lighter than my regular bullet I set the bull into the top of the ring on the front sight, so aimed off with its inherent vagaries. I still do not have a good scope for this range, but did get a few shots spotted after I had already put 3 down range, which were within 2 inches of each other ! So I just shot for a group. Looks like by the way the rifle is shooting close to point of aim, so bullet weight has not made much of a difference. Same charge of 85 Grains of Goex FFg. Counting the best 10 shots, discount the 3 shots in the 3 ring, bar one slightly wide shot in the 7 ring it is at worst a 9 ring group, with a few 10s at a guess[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/heelerau/media/P8210013.jpg.html][/URL[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/heelerau/media/P8200012.jpg.html][/URL

I've got one of those molds but nothing to shoot it in. Maybe I should fix that!

Boolit Man
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SEANTABLET - WIN_20160903_161840.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	175739

Hi
    PH Volunteer
    This was second group.
    75grs 3f with Lyman mold/bullet 100yds
    I mostly shoot at 200yds, so I am going to change front sight to a globe with level
    I have that type of front sight on my Gibbs.
    Great accurate guns

SKR, is your rifle a Whitworth Parker Hale Volunteer?

Boolit Man
    Hi
    Not sure what you mean by Whitworth PH Volunteer?
    It's a PH Volunteer.
    I shot/tried 2 loads at 100yds.
    First was 70 grains 3f Goex.
    It was more to the tune of a pattern, then a group.
    I then went up 5grs to 75 and shot the tighter group.
    Believe it or not, the shot out of the group was actually a hang fire!
    Cheers

Boolit Man
    PH as in "Parker Hale"
    And Volunteer as in "Volunteer"
    Not sure how else to put it.
    Which is how this thread started.
    Need anything else clarified

Quote Originally Posted by heelerau View Post
    ... is your rifle a Whitworth Parker Hale Volunteer?
    Please allow me to clarify, I meant my comment for Heelerau.

Perhaps you meant a Parker-Hale Whitworth or Parker-Hale Volunteer?

Moderator Emeritus
    The Parker Hale Whitworths have an hexagonal rifled bore and the Parker Hale Volunteers have Henry or Rigby rifling.

That is how Parker Hale classified them.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    The Parker Hale Whitworths have an hexagonal rifled bore and the Parker Hale Volunteers have Henry or Rigby rifling.

as Dromia said !! Cheers I put it poorly.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post

So what is Henry or Rigby rifling any ways?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    So what is Henry or Rigby rifling any ways?
    Rigby rifling is constant-depth and twist rifling (as opposed to progressive-depth and/or progressive twist) with narrow rounded lands and wider grooves, vaguely similar to Metford rifling.
    Alexander Henry rifling is constant depth and twist with distinct triangular lands between flats. Martini Henry rifles are the best examples of this type, with 7 lands and grooves. Some of the PH Volunteers use it as well, SN begins with letter "H".
    Last edited by fgd135; 09-20-2016 at 11:01 AM.

Henry rifling works really well with paper patched bullets, I am hoping in due course to find out that works with the Rigby rifling.

Boolit Bub
    I just picked up an Alexander Henry, the was from euroarms, new, unfired. The bore reads .451. It is a 3 band rifle. To be honest I'm not quite sure where to start. I shoot ML round ball and also a Browning BPCR in .45-70 and a Meecham 40-65. A friend told me to use conical bullets in the 520 gr range I'm not so sure I can ram those things down the barrel.

Old thread I know but it's exactly the kind of info I need. Thanks.

Paper patched bullets. Patched to .001" under bore diameter. Depending on the paper you use it will start about .443" or so. Get Randy Wright's book on the subject to get yourself up to speed.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Nobade,

Thanks for the reply. I just got home from a trip up to Spokane, Wa. where I'm taking to contractors about making changes to my retirement abode. I'm looking for the book online, now.

My bore dia is written on the barrel but I suppose I need to mic it? It shows .451 so from what you're saying I need to get to .450 with the patch. I guess I need to find a mold that drops .443-4 bullet. That's a start.

Exactly. Try Buffalo Arms for that book. They also make good moulds for your rifle.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I looked on Buffalo Arms but everything they have for sale is backordered. I went to SageBrush and bought 50 ea. , money, paper patch .443 , 520 gr. I figured instead of buying a mold that I might not like I'd try some bullets that should work then buy mold. I've been buying from Buffalo Arms for years...Great group of folks and they're only a half hour from where I'm moving to for retirement.

Boolit Man
    Not sure if your interested in plain Conicals or not but maybe a dozen years ago I made muzzleloader with a Green Mountain 45 Caliber black powder cartridge barrel with 1-18" twist and was shooting Lyman 457121 Witworth bullets sized to .450 and was having excellent accuracy out to 250 yards using a peep sight.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast