Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 451 volunteer rifle

Boolit Man
    Another great bullet would be the Lyman 451114 Volunteer bullet . I have the mold and cast a few bullets but have yet to shoot it. Mine cast a pure lead bullet right at .451 and approximately 450 grains.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowpower View Post
    A friend told me to use conical bullets in the 520 gr range I'm not so sure I can ram those things down the barrel......
    Grease groove or paper patched bullets will work fine if properly sized to just under bore size. There shouldn't be any need to force the bullet down the barrel or you risk deforming the base. With the relatively deep Henry rifling try pure lead to start with - you need the bullet to expand to the rifling. You could maybe try lead/tin alloys later.

Lighter bullets ok for short range, but you may wish to try around 530 grains if working out longer - I got good results (match winning) with a Parker-Hale Volunteer and grease groove bullets out to 600 yards.

David
    www.researchpress.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
    Historical firearms, long range target shooting and associated history

The Lyman 451114 bullet works extremely well for hunting with my Parker-Hale Volunteer, and kills like lightning. For practice I size them to 0.450" and they slide down the bore easily; little more than the weight of the ramrod is required to seat them. When hunting I use them as cast, which at 0.452" requires some force for seating. I do this because I don't want the bullet to move off the powder charge while carrying the rifle over the course of a day. Comparison shooting indicates there is no difference in accuracy or point of impact. At 450 grains the bullet is light for long range target shooting, but for hunting it is ideal.

Gentlemen, I have been shooting my Volunteer with the Lyman 451114 bullet at 200m for some time now and am shooting consistent 8 ring groups. Have to do a bit more tinkering to see how much tighter it will go. I am using pure lead with greased felt wad over powder and card on top. My rifle has the early Rigby style rifling
    Keep yor hoss well shod an' yo powda dry !

In my experience the Parker-Hale Volunteer shoots better with no wad or card. Just powder and the lubricated bullet.

Boolit Mold
    I just bought a Parker Hale Volunteer rifle with Henry rifling the mold the guy gave me is Lyman 454112 the bullets Mike out to 454 and will not start down the barrel. Today I ordered a push through sizer 450. Can I size the 454 down to 450 with the sizer ? I ordered some 450 Volunteer boolits from Track of the Wolf but can’t find a 451114 mold anywhere.
    Last edited by Pressman; 01-18-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Yes sir, you sure can.
    Finger lube the grooves full and give her a try.

Boolit Mold
    I am in the process of purchasing a Rigby rifled PH and am looking forward to the new world of development ahead.

Boolit Grand Master
    Any chance of a photo of all this. It's a very interesting story.

OK, I'll start by saying I loved McCleod's Daughters and Sea Patrol. Great Aussie theater! I must admit however, that I favor Marmite over Vegemite. I buy it by the tub via Amazon here in the states. No one in my house will eat it except for me. Makes me pass wind like a Clydesdale though. Pity my wife! Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that buying a ML is such a hassle down under. I remember back in the 70s when it wasn't. I suppose if I told you that for MLs here in the states, with the single exceptions of NJ and IL, you can just buy them via the mail. At least for now. PH made some great rifles. I hope yours gives you many years of trouble free and highly accurate shooting.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234