Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: 10.6 German Ordinance Erfurt revolver

Boolit Master

10.6 German Ordinance Erfurt revolver

I got to see one over the weekend.....it had 44 Russian ammo in the pouch on the old holster. Odd old pistol but I might have a shot at owning it. Anyone got such a critter? Big slow 44 cal bullets are a hoot and I would love to shoot it even if I can't own it.
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Boolit Master

Wow. 87 folks looked at this thread and not one reply. Are these revolvers that rare? I will buy it if I can and shoot it just to say I did. Anyone else interested in old iron?

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Where's da pictures? Ya gotta have pictures!~
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I got these pics off the web. It is a SA revolver. 10.6 mm Ordance. Very close to 44 Russian. Close enough to work I hear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Erfurt revolver 1893.jpg   best Erfurt 1893 revolver.jpg   erfurt 1893 revolver.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I wasn't familiar with that round, but I looked it up in COTW, and it sounds like it would be an interesting round to load. It says you can make the cases from 44 Special brass, but the bullet is a nominal .451 diameter, heel based type bullet. I have never loaded any heel based boolits, but it would make an interesting project. I wonder if you could use .451 gas check boolit without the gas check. The book says it used a 262gr boolit at 700fps with BP. I would be game if the price were right. I love a challenge. I think you should go for it.

Gary

Boolit Master

A buddy found a 1st Model S&W in 44 American. It used a healed bullet and cases are made from shortened 41 magnum brass. We took some 44 plain based bullets,built a collet affair to hold them without damage and turned a heal on the lathe. Now the modern brass being a solid head was lacking in internal volume so we just filled them with 3F (11 grains as I remember)and seated the bullets. SUPRIZE-SUPRIZE.......they slapped the bullet trap in the shop with a great force. Accurate too. We had shooting contests for several weeks until someone saw the old pistol and bought it.
    Last edited by Cactus Farmer; 07-31-2013 at 11:23 PM.

If the gun is mechanically sound, get it; even if you have to sell your wife and dog. What a project!!!

Might be able to run a .451 round nose part way into a Lyman type lubrisizer to make the backside small enough.
    Or would enlarging the front rings on a 2nd hand .44 mold be the way to go?

By the way, that's pistol looks fine as frog hair.

So did ya get it?!!!

If you got the revolver, this might be a ready made workable mold.
    It's the Idea 45468. The hollow cavity plug measures .423". Maybe could position the plug back a bit and create a workable heal design boolit with the hollow dish on the base like it's supposed to be.

Too bad the plug isn't .444" or so because it could be the cats meow in a 1858 Remington.

Boolit Grand Master

If you get it check with Bernie at Old West Molds. He has a bunch of heeled boolit designs and might have one for this. I'm quite sure he has one for the 44 American.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of these revolvers and I really like it. It's built like a tank. I load for it with a .44 Russian case, 3 grains of Bullseye, and a 180 grain boolit (.430). It is pleasant to shoot and shoots close to point of aim.

Boolit Master

It is the same model of pistol that Hermann Goering carried out of personal choice as a pilot in WWI. A lot of pilots of that era still used that old pistol.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    I do not have this Revolver but I do have Original ammo. It may or may not fire 44 russian. original ammo had the Traditional german "A" base style with a thinner base rim.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master

Thank you all for your input. The pistol in question saw at a local show and may be offered for sale but as of now it hasn't been offered to me.
    I'm hoping they don't look it up on Flee-bay and deside it's a rare $1000 gun because it isn't. The HB boolet mold "Good Cheer" showed us is indeed a thing of beauty and would very likely work wonders. I've build some bump up swadging dies and think a 44 Cast boolit might be reduced on the heel by such a die.