RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Shooting Cast Boolits

Boolit Master

Shooting Cast Boolits

We had the party after the 10 week silly wet shoot this year. Most of the people shoot Rimfire rifle and pistol. Can't load those, so I shoot an open sited 45 LC, Scoped 44 Ruger Super Redhawk, and My Enfield, all with Cast Boolits. I was the only one shooting scoped CF pistol and CF Rifle. Took first with the 45.

After we shot some eggs @ 50 yards with the pistols and 22s, we moved out to 100 and blasted some baloons. When everyone was done with that, we still had baloons up so I asked if anyone wanted to shoot Center Fire Rifles at the rest. All but one guy said "I don't have my CF Rifle with me" I told them all they could use my rifles. I put My Remington 700 VL in 22-250 and my Stevens in 308 on the table each with 50 rounds of cast boolits. Most of the guys shot them and really liked them. My 13 year old son picked up the 308 having never shot it before and blasted the first baloon. 150 gr gas check over 11 grains Red Dot Av. 1568 fps. They were breaking baloons till they were all gone with the 22-250.....55 grain boolit over 18 grains SR4759 Av. 2684. We had a blast and I hope I got ONE more person hooked on cast boolits. When they were done, each box had about 10 to 15 rounds left in them.

David

Boolit Grand Master
    Nicely done, David. People often have a sort of detached look on their faces after the subject of cast boolits in rifles comes up--like they've seen their first alien spaceship, or got asked a quantum physics question at a hiring interview to flip burgers at McDonalds. Letting folks shoot the critters at reactive targets is the best possible introduction to the craft.

Nice work with that 22-250, too. Accuracy in any 22 centerfire has been elusive for me, and I still have a few of the RCBS-55 castings that Carpetman sent me a while back. Currently, the 25-20 WCF has provided enough entertainment in the "St. Jude" venues (patron saint of lost causes), so I am not enthused at re-trying the 223 or 22-250 bolt guns with the Real Boolits anytime soon.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    ""--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nicely done, David. People often have a sort of detached look on their faces after the subject of cast boolits in rifles comes up--like they've seen their first alien spaceship""

LOL!! THAT USED TO BE ME!!!! I looked at cast bullets as 2nd rate reloads, doomed to fill my gun with lead , and give poor results for my trouble.
    BUT NOW I KNOW BETTER!!! I now only shoot the condums to smooth a new bbl.
    Then I get to spend a week getting the copper out (I am currently on day 4 of the soak, still coming out green!).
    That great that they shot them, If I had been given that chance I bet I would have come arround much faster! ....Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Congrats on the 22 cast. I've never been there.

When people tell you all the "horrors and myths" associated with shooting cast bullets,ask them if they ever shot cast bullets and almost always it's a no. Then ask if they shoot .22 rimfires? Almost always a yes. Then ask if they had all the problems they described in their .22 rimfire.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetman
    When people tell you all the "horrors and myths" associated with shooting cast bullets,ask them if they ever shot cast bullets and almost always it's a no. Then ask if they shoot .22 rimfires? Almost always a yes. Then ask if they had all the problems they described in their .22 rimfire.
    They may have shot commercial cast or the old lead factory loads for the .357 and .41 Mag. I've cast in a limited way nearly as long as I have been shooting. It's a good thing, too, because my experiences with commercial bulk cast would have put me off for life had I not already known what good cast bullets would do.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.