WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Little Dandy Powder Measure

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    I am surprised no one uses multiple dumps of a rotor weight to get the higher quantities for rifle loads. I have tested all of the rotors I have for up to 4 dumps, and have made a spreadsheet for all the powders I use. Kevin
    To paraphrase the words of the great Dirty Harry, "In all the excitement, I've forgotten whether I've turned the knob 3 times or was it 4? Do you feel lucky, punk?" While I have done it on short runs that I just "had" to get done quickly, I was very careful and visually checked powder column height in each case after filling. You have to decide for yourself what your safety practices need to be, but as a matter of SOP, I don't like multiple dumps. JMHO, of course, and YMMV.

Regards,
    Froggie

Banned

Great info guys. Thanks a lot. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this measure. A guy on here offered me a deal for one he had that he hasn't used before "(like brand new)" for $35 shipped. Now I need rotors. In order of preference I will start with; #15, #23, #00, #07, #04, #09, #06, #18

If any of you have any or all of these or extra's for purchase and are willing to part with them please let me know. Thanks again for all your input and helping me make a decision.

Russ

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    I also at one time used a Lil Dandy pm it worked fine but all of the rotors you have to buy makes the set up expensive if you load for alot a calibers ! the measure is $34.00 and the rotors $9.72 each. a option i would recomend is the oversized rotor knob that attaches to the factory rotor knob , avalible from rcbs $4.99
    At some time someone made a adj charge weight rotor for use in the Lil Dandy pm. i cant remember who or if there still avalible ?
    I use an RCBS die lockring on my adjustable rotor..serves the same purpose, and I had a few on hand. Fits right on and tightens down
    NRA Life Member
    Member Florida Carry
    Founding member/moderator COTEP

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by ncbearman View Post
    Great info guys. Thanks a lot. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this measure. A guy on here offered me a deal for one he had that he hasn't used before "(like brand new)" for $35 shipped. Now I need rotors. In order of preference I will start with; #15, #23, #00, #07, #04, #09, #06, #18

If any of you have any or all of these or extra's for purchase and are willing to part with them please let me know. Thanks again for all your input and helping me make a decision.

Russ
    As I said earlier, the adjustable rotor from Bailey Boats is around 40 bucks shipped..the price of 3 rotors from Midway. Stainless, comes with directions and the tool to adjust the cavity
    NRA Life Member
    Member Florida Carry
    Founding member/moderator COTEP

What is the metering cavity diameter of tha Little Dandy rotors?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
    As I said earlier, the adjustable rotor from Bailey Boats is around 40 bucks shipped..the price of 3 rotors from Midway. Stainless, comes with directions and the tool to adjust the cavity
    I have an adjustable powder measure that I am happy with. I would like to have the rotors so as not to have to adjust. Pop em' in and go.
    Oh yea, and I wondered if my old die lock ring would fit on a rotor. That was the first thought I had when I saw the one RCBS had for $6
    I was gonna try it once I got a rotor or two in.

Moderator Emeritus
    Die locking rings do fit, just, but not in full alignment, it doesn't interfere with its operation so that is what I use.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by ncbearman View Post
    I am considering getting one of these and would like to know your opinions as to quality, function etc. Thanks in advance.
    Russ
    That's what I started with 15 or so years ago. Great piece of equipment to have along with a scale. I've use it for reloading pistol and rifle and I don't regret purchasing it for a second. Now I use my Dillon press and I hand weigh my work-uo loads, but I still have my Little Dandy in the box and about 10 rotors. Maybe I'll part with it but it's hard to part with something that's never let you down.
    Because freedom isn't free....

Boolit Master
    I have one and used to use it a lot. But it doesn't always match up with the loads I want to use, so I got a Lee Perfect measure and I use that more now.
    Paul

Detox the metering cavity is just a hole drilled through the rotor. The rotor come with different size holes. Small holes = small charge, bigger hole = bigger charge.
    Like Lee's powder dippers. Small dippers = small charge, bigger dippers = bigger charge.
    Which I like and are almost as fast as the Little Dandy. I have compared my dipping to several powder scales and I'm just about as accurate as most powder measures. Technique is the important part. Dipper or measure.
    Leo

Boolit Buddy

Been using one for over 25 years IIRC. Wouldn't be without it. I have most of the rotors collected over time. Have paid anywhere from 3.00 to 9.50 for them. Always darn close in accuracy. It beats my Redding BR30 for small charges for sure. I know, I know, I need to get the small chamber for the Redding, but the Dandy is so accurate and easy....why bother. I have used it many times to charge rifle cases using the multiple rotations of the rotor. Always have used it for no more than 2 charges each case, therefore making it easy to keep up with proper charge. No luck involved, just careful non interrupted loading, then visual check of each case, something I do with each case anyway.

Boolit Master

I've never used a Little Dandy. Instead, I've used a Pacific/Hornady Pistol Powder Measure for about 40 years. They have a slide arrangement, w/bushing inserts, that are easy to swap. I have a complete set of 22 bushings, plus a couple spares, plus a couple I have modified, either with masking tape or Dremel tool, to throw exactly the amount of powder my load work-up found. I put 100 cases in my loading block, throw 3 charges back into the powder jug, and press on. After the 3 charge settling routine, the charges are danged consistent. They occasionally show up on eBay, and I like their design better than the LD. And one can still get bushings from Hornady...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

I have a Little dandy and several rotors for it, it is absolutely perfect for pistol and reduced rifle loads. The loads it throws are exact each and every time . Best investment I ever made. I have all the rotors I need and probably will not be buying any in the near future. The adjustable rotor sounds interesting though.
    Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you.

I really like mine.
    I liked it so much when I bought it (a very long time ago - when I was single) that I purchased all the rotors. I store them in a plastic 12ga shot shell box.

Boolit Master

Got mine back when I couldn't afford a real powder measure along with just a couple of rotors. Later I got another one and a complete set of rotors. I still like it and use it from time to time. It's easy, reliable and very consistent. As with all powder measures, small charges of very fluffy powders may be less consistent than other powders.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy

Exactly what I did using an MTM 12 gauge shotshell carrier, works perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    I really like mine.
    I liked it so much when I bought it (a very long time ago - when I was single) that I purchased all the rotors. I store them in a plastic 12ga shot shell box.

Like everyone here, I was needing a Little Dandy for pistol loads. However the idea of having to get so many Rotors to cover all my loads didn't set to well with me..Luckily I was able to find a Gentleman who makes an Adjustable Rotor for the Lil Dandy.. Haven't had a chance to test it yet but I'll answer back here once I do...I will say everyone who's gotten one of these seems to love it.. He's a local guy here in NC,
    ............(Lông Trắng)............
    (si vis pacem, para bellum)

Boolit Buddy
    I first started reloading pistol cartridges in the mid 70's when I purchased a Ruger Single Six in 357 Mag. I had a Ohaus 7200 Du-O- measure I also used for rifle cartridges. I disliked using the excellent Ohaus measure because I could not hold a complete loading block of 50 cartridges under the drop tube. It always had to remove the middle 10 rounds and drop them separately. I bought the RCBS "Lil Dandy" and about 5 rotors for the 357 and I loved the convenience but had to have about 4-5 rotors to develop different loads with different charges or powders. Even had one drilled out a little more to get the exact weight I wanted when no other rotor was available to throw that power/charge Then along came a 44 mag and I didn't want to invest in another 4-5 rotors so I just used the Ohaus. Then along came a 44 Spec and then a 9mm and then a 40 S&W and a little snubby 38 Spec.. All along I wanted to use the Lil Dandy but the price of rotors continued to climb and the investment was going to be considerable. About a year ago I saw the Bailey Boat adjustable rotor discussed on this forum and I contacted Bill White & purchased one of his adjustable rotors. WOW !!! Now I can adjust the rotor even without removing it from the Lil Dandy measure to throw exactly what I want and I don't have to spend a fortune for all the different rotors to throw all the different weights and powders. One rotor does it all. I can not praise this little adjustable rotor enough. YEP it works just like any adjustable powder dispenser. You do have to adjust it every time you want to throw a different weight or different charge but I don't have a drawer full of rotors either. If you are interested give Bill a call. He is one fine feller !! About $40 to your door and I had mine in 3 days.

B. A. “BILL” WHITE ( Bailey Boat )
    2430 FORRESTBROOK DRIVE
    KANNAPOLIS, NC 28083
    (704) 608-4633

Ron

Boolit Grand Master
    I gathered the original complete set as I could find them cheaply at gun shows, etc. back in the day. Of course, they later came out with a #0 and a #00, but I caught them on sale at Midway. Oddly enough, I still want one of the adjustables by Bailey Boat some day, but it's not as pressing!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Yep, The Adjustable Rotor is great, I've been using mine for a week now....But the Price is around $50 now TMC-OKC,,..But still worth every penny when you look at all the other Rotors you wont have to buy......
    What helped me was how low it can go and stay consistent.. I had changed the Rotor in my RCBS measure that I used for my Rifles but anything under 5.5gr. wouldn't stay consistent even with the Pistol Rotor in it....The Lil Dandy with Bill's Adjustable Rotor will throw 4. gr. and under all day.
    ............(Lông Trắng)............
    (si vis pacem, para bellum)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast