Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Which camera do you suggest?

Boolit Mold
    great . Thanks.....

Boolit Man
    In a former life took pictures for over a dozen magazines, two newspapers and AP Wire. Remember shooting film, rushing to lab, cropping and correcting any issues in lab then handing off to an editor who decided which went to print. Can still remember first Grand Tour bicycle race took a digital camera as a "backup" to my film rigs as didn't really trust the thing to get me through the event and today 22 years later. Purchased the Nikon D70 as the lower priced Nikon professional DSLR and immediately purchased a D1 then upgraded soon as D2, D3 and subsequent professional DSLR's came out. Watched megapixels go from 2 mp point and shoots to 50 and 100 mp medium formats.

There are some good point and shoots out there just make sure they have macro mode. Also don't get caught up in the megapixel count race. Currently my "portrait & landscape" camera is a Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n which is a Nikon D80 which Kodak gutted and put their full frame sensor in along with firmware. Kodak makes some of the finest sensors available. It was made in 2004 and none of the cameras have purchased since have the color saturation and smooth images to the eye but 80% of the pictures I take are with my phone because it's in my pocket. Because phones bend the light from a plastic lens 90° through a prism to a tiny sensor they can only do so much.

Most of the time I keep my trusty 22 year old 6.1 mp Nikon D70 close at hand with a Nikon 24-85 lens with macro option close for taking pictures when it matters. Based on condition and luck can find a serviceable D70 for $100 to $175 and their 24-85 f 2.8 lens for $200 to $400 and it will likey last a lifetime. Send mine in every four or five years for professional cleaning and service. For backpack and around work I keep a 12 mp Lumix point and shoot with macro mode purchased new on sale for $199.

Most important is get a camera where you have macro mode, ability to control flash output, color balance and shoots a raw or tiff image rather than jpg or both at same time. Remember a computer monitor reproduces images at 72 dpi so posting a 300 dpi image to web is not needed. Decent post processing software is a big help but a $1,000 plus copy of Adobe Photoshop will leave most baffled due to complexity. Find an older copy of Corel Photopaint X2 or X3 on ebay for $50 bucks then crop, resample and massage photos easily for prints or web and about a $250 to $500 investment in a Lumix or used Nikon DSLR with $50 software package and you will have all you need.
    For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions. 2 Timothy 4:3

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    These were taken with a Panasonic TS4, which has since been replaced by a newer model. The camera is waterproof to 10 meters depth, rubber armored, and can imbed geocoding into the frame. I originally got this for taking pictures of storm damage assessment, but it takes great gun and ammo photos.

Attachment 226107Attachment 226108Attachment 226110
    Attachment 226113Attachment 226114
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I think it's kind of like firearms.
    The best equipment won't make up for a lack of operator skill.
    You have to get in a lot of practice. That is a lot easier today with digital than it was with film yesterday.

Optical zoom is you’re best friend and something with a good flash

Boolit Master
    Since this was started in 2013, I bet he has a camera and pictures filed by now.

For much of my work I still use my old Nikon DSLR but I have to say, my iPhone 12 ProMax is very good.
    Gondwana

Never give up, no obstacle is invincible, there is always a way.

Boolit Master

I used to make my living with film cameras but have to agree regarding the iPhone 12. I got a 12 Pro recently which I think has the same camera as the 12 ProMax. It’s an excellent snapshot camera. I’m in the market for a good used digital slr for making videos and better stills. I’ve shot with Nikons for so many years that I’m leaning in that direction for a digital slr. Some of the functions are still in familiar places. I got a Sony mirrorless camera as a service award a few years ago and it’s the least used of all of my digital cameras. It’s a cheap imitation of an slr with almost no manual influence available. It can’t even be focused manually. The Nikon D700 still seems to be a very desirable option for what I want from a camera.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345