RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which camera do you suggest?

I use for everything my Sony A77 II. Unfortunately I do not have a macro lens but I can take decent photos with what I have.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled (2 of 1)-8.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	168018

No mater what camera you have... use a tripod or steadying support.
    Remember, your best accuracy is achieved... bench rested!

2012 Apple iPhone 5 8mp digital zoom

2008 Canon PowerShot A720 IS 8mp 6x optical zoom

2008 Canon PowerShot G10 14.7mp 5x optical zoom
    There are so many calibers and bullet designs because there are so many different targets... the target is everything.

Boolit Master

Not every web forum resizes your photos, especially if you are linking from an external site. As such, use image editing photos to generate a web-acceptable image of lower resolution and higher compression. In *some* cases, you *might* also want to include a link that people can click to get to a higher resolution photo. There are people who use smartphones for accessing the web and if your photo is too big, the page is going to be slow to load and it will cover well past their screen size making it difficult for them to see the entire image all at once. Yeah, I know -- just use a *real* computer... Sometimes though, you just have your smartphone with you and are traveling.

Boolit Master
    Most cameras work fine. I have been using a Panasonic Lumix camera to good effect. The camera has a built in macro mode (they tend to call it a flower mode with some brands) that lets you take pictures up fairly close within inches of the object. But one thing to get is a picture image editor program that lets you resize, crop pics and save the cropped part and export the picures into different image formats etc. Thus you can select a part of the picture and make that into a new image and resize it as needed. There are other options that could be handy but the saving of a cropped picture portion is quite handy. That selecting a portion of the image has the effect of zooming in on that part or magnifying it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Armscore_22TCM_fired_cartridge_cases_01.jpg   Armscore_22TCM_fired_cartridge_cases_02.jpg  

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    But one thing to get is a picture image editor program that lets you resize, crop pics and save the cropped part and export the picures into different image formats etc.
    I've found the free Irfanview to meet all my needs for files that are going to end up on the web (and even for many that will be printed). I've been using it for

www.irfanview.com

According to the wiki article on it, it's been around for 20 years. I don't know when I first encountered it, but I suspect I've been using it nearly that long.

Moderator Emeritus

Anybody use a Nikon CoolPix camera ?
    I recently bought one (12MP, model S570) from a local "Goodwill" store, $2.50 after a 50% discount. It has 5x optical zoom, plus digital zoom that all the cheapo Digital cameras have.

It had a few banged up corners, in fact the battery compartment would not open, due to that. I decided to buy it, after I pryed open the battery compartment, and I seen it uses the same battery as my cheapo Fujifilm digital camera...and I like that 3.7 volt, small, block shaped, Lith Ion battery, They are cheap and quick to recharge and the charge lasts a long time...and I've never had one fail.
    ANYWAY, this Nikon has a ton of features that my fujifilm camera doesn't have, easy to navigate menu, real good Macro feature, real good stabilize feature, easy to use timer, but don't like the video feature compared to my fujifilm's one button video activation. Another issue, is you can't "block" delete photos, like the fujifilm camera can, deleting is real slow with the nikon. There is also some nighttime light correction thingy on the flash, that takes a photo in a very dark room, and the picture looks like daytime, no shadows from flash...I haven't tried that nighttime thingy outside yet...probably won't work as good.

I haven't done much with it yet, but here is an example of a quick "point and shoot" photo of my canning day yesterday. I usually crop these type of photo's, but I left this one "as is" (except I reduced it 50% to fit the castboolits format), to show the light lights and the dark darks and pretty good detail without using a tripod. For a cheapo digital, I think it's a real good one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Your pics are testament to two things, your gifted photography and excellent Canon of Japan quality.
    Gondwana

Never give up, no obstacle is invincible, there is always a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Termath View Post
    No mater what camera you have... use a tripod or steadying support.
    Remember, your best accuracy is achieved... bench rested!

2012 Apple iPhone 5 8mp digital zoom

2008 Canon PowerShot A720 IS 8mp 6x optical zoom

2008 Canon PowerShot G10 14.7mp 5x optical zoom
    Those boolits under the Ritz box look good enough to eat!
    Gondwana

Never give up, no obstacle is invincible, there is always a way.

Perma-Banned
    Attachment 183882

Samsung Galaxy S3 8mp camera, this phone is OLD news now, but stil takes a decent picture.

Banned
    Canon 80D with Sigma 10-20 EX lens. No flash, using available lighting. Wide angle ads some distortion but I really like the sharpness and color rendition.

www.uglyhedgehog.com for more information, good camera talk and a new site to kill time while sitting in front of the computer.
    Happy New Year,
    Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5589.jpg  

I use a Nikon D7000 with a SB800 flash, filter and bounced, along with a home made light box for this photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails i-ph5NShV-XL.jpg   i-SSnR5Ph-XL.jpg   i-JJBJWnC-XL.jpg  

Boolit Buddy

Canon 5d mklll 70-200 f/4L at 70mm using available light in the room.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3Z7A5654.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	189656
    We were brothers then, we are brothers now, we are brothers forever. Currahee

If anyone wants to shoot MACRO, then consider looking for a RAYNOX macro attachment that clips to your lens. the 1.5 gives EXCELLENT detail despite being a clip-on:

Name:	smashc.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	192367 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gitd.gif 
Views:	25 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	192368 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pcoats2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	192369 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pcdoc.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	192370

Here is the one I use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raynox-DCR-1...4AAOSwLF1X7VsN They also have a 2.0 one but the 1.5 works so nice and has a bit more depth to it I feel.

Pay no attention to the camera, it clips on to the front of the lens, but also I think is a 55mm screw on if you do not use the clip. You get to zoom in really big and be about 6-15 inches away from the focal point.

Boolit Master

Questions from an "ignoramus".
    I have a Canon Powershot A550. the software to operaye the camera is NOT compatable with my Windows 7 P.C. system.
    Do I have options or must I buy another camera?
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Pepe Ray, what OS does the software require?

I have been getting used cameras from goodwill for a while; Friend goes there and finds one (he's fairly camera savvy) and I look it up from here. Have a variety, now the iPhone 4 & Samsung Galaxy S3. For a lot of things a cell phone camera is fine; Something like a picture of a damaged circuit to show another Electronics person I usually get out the larger older Sony. Added a neutral Gray filter which helps for the odd things I do.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Ray View Post
    Questions from an "ignoramus".
    I have a Canon Powershot A550. the software to operaye the camera is NOT compatable with my Windows 7 P.C. system.
    Do I have options or must I buy another camera?
    Pepe Ray
    Just pop the memory card out and plug it into your computer. The A550 uses a standard MMC/SD card. You shouldn't need the camera's software to retrieve pictures. Most computers have an SD/MMC card reader built in but you might need an accessory card reader. Just copy the photos to your "Pictures" folder organized with a meaningful directory structure.

My favorite way of organizing photos is by year-2 digit month-2 digit day - subject matter. Today's pictures would go under "2017-12-25 - Christmas". By using the year first and 2 digit month/day (2017-02-07 for Feb 7th for example) the folders will automatically arrange in chronological order. They won't arrange in chronological order if 1 through 9 aren't preceded by a zero. Easy to search!
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Yep that works too. I get USB SD card readers, you may have horrid luck with the cheapest but some middle range ones work beautifully.

David2011 that's an ISO standard now, ISO8601. It is great since I don't have to write date sorting routines any more - ABOUT TIME!

Boolit Master
    Interestingly enough I have found that my iPhone's camera works great for taking pictures too. It has a built in gyro stabilization system that helps to steady the camera for sharper pictures. I can export the images and use a image program to edit and crop a image and zoom in to show more details as needed on the pictures too. I assume that the Android cameras have similar capabilities and high resolution too. In this example, I took a picture and selected a part and created a new image and pasted the selected part into it. I then resized the images to reduce their file size as well.

Name:	6.5 Grendel barrel 01.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	210292

Name:	6.5 Grendel AR15_02.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	210293
    Last edited by Earlwb; 12-26-2017 at 10:07 AM. Reason: add more information

I have always admired great photography. I tried it long ago with 35mm film, but never got good with it. Then the digital age came about and things got much MUCH better. What constitutes a great picture, may not be so great to others in terms of composition, exposure...etc.

The last camera I purchased was about 2 years ago, a Nikon Coolpix S7000. It suits my needs well. There are a lot of aspects of photography. Another great thing about digital photography, is for those who still use a computer to get online. Find a nice photo editing program and purchase it. One can do some amazing things in clearing up a photo, sharpness, contrast....etc.

And I saw a few mention using a tripod....YES! When I want the absolute best, I use a tripod and get the best lighting I can. Set the time on the camera and be hands free of it when the camera takes the photo. It removes any shakiness what-so-ever. Without learning a bit about photography, a $200 camera will suit 90% of the peoples needs just as well as a $3,000 one.

On a final note, I see this thread was started over 4 years ago? I hope the original poster is doing well with his photos.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Olympus TG4. I like the microscope feature.

Name:	P9220007(a).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	210349

Name:	P9220006(a).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	210350

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast