Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MyCheckmaker

MyCheckmaker

Here is my latest project, 2 check makers for a standard "O" reloading press. I make 2 this week, one is for 30 Cal. and the other is for 35 Cal. (357's). The pictures are of the 35 cal. This design is stolen from others here with the addition of a bottom feed into the primer catcher. The first one took 3 days and the second one took 3 hours. Later I will do a 22 cal. when the cold weather returns to Colorado.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/asse...9&d=1374807989
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/asse...9&d=1374808000
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/asse...9&d=1374807979
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/asse...9&d=1374808012
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1005.jpg   DSCN1002.jpg   DSCN1003.jpg   DSCN1004.jpg  

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Boolit Buddy
    Nice work!
    NRA Life Member
    OGC Member
    USPSA Member

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Now that is pretty slick!!!

Nice!!!!

There's nothing better than 1 pull of the handle ='s 1 check.

Only people that strive for perfection to make the best quality bullets possible make their own custom gas check makers.

I like the piece you made for the top of the press, could you take a couple of pictures of it & post them?

I rather like the base design and the way it spits them out the side. Very nicely done.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

w0w! Nice work.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy
    Humm, stolen from others, ya mean like Chinese....

Boolit Master

Plan on making any for sale?
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

update

Forrest r, gave me this info and was very helpful. My checkmaker is a copy of it with 2 exceptions. One I make the shell holder and punch in one piece so it would spite out the formed chex into the spent primer tray and 2 is I make a blank die, 7/8" x 14 to go in the top my press. Once I threaded the blank I used a locking ring from an old die I had. Hope this helps anyone that wants to do there own.

No, I don't plan on selling these, I made them on a hobby Lathe and mill and it's way to time consuming to market. Their are 2 guys on this site that do make and sale a good product. If they wish to use any of my ideas they are welcome to do so and good luck to them. I have stolen so many good items from guys on this site, it's my turn give back!
    http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1927073...Maker1%262.pdf

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

PS, I checked and the link works but slow, 24 pages in this PDF file. I would suggest just download and print the section on the one set check maker, Martin

Here you go Foresst r, hope this helps. martin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1006.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	77232Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1010.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	77233

Thank you for the pic!!!! THAT'S SWEET!!!!

I'm going to have to make a couple of different styles of those to test to see if there's any difference in how the check makers perform.

I was actually using a 7/8-14 threaded body of the check makers to make mine & screwing that into the press.

Boolit Master
    Well done! Great modification of an design to make it even better. If I didn't already have an arbor press, I would be busy copying it!
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Bub
    Well if you ever do decide to start making them, let me know. I'll take one for .44 caliber.

Boolit Buddy

I would love one in .30

Boolit Bub
    And I'll take one for .357!

Boolit Master

Know absolutely nothing about machine work,sure wish I did,because I would own one.I could make stuff!!
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Update, New 22 Cal. checkmaker

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	79469Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first2.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	79470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chexport.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	79471Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finished.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	79472

Pictures 1 and 2 are of the first checks I made today with my updated checkmaker, I colored one with a sharpy and on a 53gr Bantor bullits.

Picture #3 is of the ejector being machined to slide the Checks into the primer tray. Works better that the ones I did for the 30 and 35 cal. Someday I may update them.

Picture #4 is of the Checkmaker, and the first 20 on bullits, now I have to find time to take them out and shoot after some lubing. Wife had both knees replace so I am a homebody for a few weeks!

Boolit Buddy
    Hi wistlepig
    I can see you are thinking on how to build a better mousetrap. Well done. I have a question . The way it all looks, the ram will push the punch into the aluminum before it moves very far. Nearly any press has very poor leverage at the first inch or so of movement. How heavy is the effort to punch the aluminum at this early movement stage of the ram?
    Some press rams or the linkage can be modified to get a lot of leverage with just a short movement. I have done so on a couple of my presses that I use for making gas checks.Makes life easier for my old arms.
    n.h.schmidt

I am making the check from .009 Al in 22 cal and 35, .014 Al in 35 cal. The punching action on my Rockchuker has no problem with the 22 and 35 cals, the 30 cals require a little more pressure, about the same amount needed to FL resize a 30/06 case. I have an old rockchuker Jr some were and I could dig it out an test it with the Jr. That Jr is a smaller press, so it may show a pressure problem if there is one. Also I was thinking of resharpping the cutters and them heat treating as another improvement. What do you think, is it worth the time. martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast