Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingPBcastcoLee Precision
Load Data Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Muzzleloader bullets

Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    Duke,
    Did you score any NV big game tags this year?
    Were going to put in on the next one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    WR,
    The gould boolit is approx 330 gr and a hollowpoint. It is also intended to be shot from a rifle rather than a handgun round. Diversity my friend. It may help a little with ballistic coefficient over a large meplat while still having expansion possibilities if cast nice and soft which should be ok with the sabot.

I understand the facination with making a inline style muzzleloader shoot like a cartridge gun using any and all modern developements. Myself I like the history involved with hunting with a muzzleloader ie. sidehammer, open sights maybe even a flinter someday. So using a projectile, even though saboted, with some black powder history is a little more attractive to me. Just goofy I guess.
    Maybe. To each his own, I guess. To me, if I compromise on anything, there's no reason not to compromise on everything. I don't shoot caplocks. Only my flinter, and my inline. The flinter only gets PRB's and real black and there are no exceptions. The inline, well, it's a "whatever" gun. Anything goes, it's not a real black powder rifle anyways. I don't need diversity in a rifle that "doesn't count" anyways.

The only compromises made are to conform to state law, because the alternative is to buckle to their desire for us to stop shooting.

Boolit Mold
    I do not use sabots. Not against them, just don't like to mess with success. I cast the LEE Modern Mini in pure as I can get lead, and have taken 2 deer with them, one full length, from his chest and exited under his tail, the other a doe broadside. Neither took a step after impact. That may be all due to boolit placement or the BIG meplat on that boolit, but like I said, why mess with what works.

Its sad when folks have to over engineer stuff to try and get it to work.

Been hunting with round ball for decades.

My current 45 cal puts the patched round ball out the barrel at 2030fps.

no BBQ sparker, caps, or any of the modern ignition devices

A rock strikin a hunk of metal is all you need. Some real holy black, and number 1 lead.

Cheap aint good, its just cheap
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    Its sad when folks have to over engineer stuff to try and get it to work.

Been hunting with round ball for decades.

My current 45 cal puts the patched round ball out the barrel at 2030fps.

no BBQ sparker, caps, or any of the modern ignition devices

A rock strikin a hunk of metal is all you need. Some real holy black, and number 1 lead.

Cheap aint good, its just cheap
    There are other states than washingrad where exposed caps and no optics are the only things legal to hunt with. Like anterless season for the freezer and enjoyment and sitting in a log blind while raining or snowing with the gun leaning up on a log for hours watching a 40 acre cut corn or hay field where shots can easily range over a hundred yards. But a rock strikin a hunk of metal is all you need. Some real holy black, and number 1 lead has been used for quite a bit and can be effective. I won't complain about that, well maybe a touch, I'm a southpaw and that style is uncomfortable for me with that flashpan 6" in front of my nose. But then I'd have to use hot soapy water on my nose I guess and possibly powder pit my polycarbonite bifocals.

I was just browsing through and a thought stuck in my head. Where would we be if people had not thought of "I wonder what this and this will do together"?

Bow and arrow?

Spear?

Club?

I dunno. I like experimenting. I like trying new things. Its not that I am opposed to something staying the same, but I find fun in the doing. There are also things that I have come to the place of "hey, that works and it works great!" and I tend to not move much from there.

I played with different bullets for my .54 sidelock, and when I found the ones that I use now which will group extremely tight, I have 'stuck' with them.

To each his own, but different tastes are simply different tastes. Sure, if you have a specific set of circumstances then you will find that one thing beats another. You will find that a new break open inline is going to outshoot a flitlock in a monsoon. And you will find that a flintlock will outshoot a new break open when a guy forgets or drops his primers somewhere in the woods.

Maybe I'm just the kind of guy who looks for the right in things rather than the wrong. If I had my way, I'd have one of every kind of gun there is, in every different configuration and caliber. I would then spend the rest of my life shooting one after the other and enjoying the different qualities of them all. Guns are truly like humans in that just about each and every one of them are unique in some way. Some we like, some we dislike.

Boolit Mold
    I personally have no problem with experimenting other than I don't have enough time for much of it right now. I found a load that does the job I ask, when I can get the time to ask it to do it. Perhaps when the Grandson works through his issues and becomes a man, and my Father-in-Law goes to his reward and is no longer being such a PITA. I just hope I still have some "gumption fer testin" when that time comes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123