Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Muzzleloader bullets

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The round ball IS a hunting boolit!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Aspangler, what type wads are you using under your Lee REAL bullits?

Boolit Buddy
    check out idaho rons sticky on paper patched bullets in the muzzleloader forum very accurate very deadly!!!

read THIS!

some really good info here!
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master

nice product idea. I made my own 209 carrier out of brass for my handi rifle, and use 300 wsm brass cut down as LRM primer carriers for the same. The LRM's are REALLY handi.

Boolit Mold
    Does anyone still make a sabot for round balls, a number of years ago there was one called a polypatch, I haven't seen them in years.

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I used the Lyman Gould HP designs for 45-70. Cast from pure lead, size to .452. With a sabot and a healthy charge of powder they are unreal.
    How do you get it to size down that far?

Boolit Master

in a lee push through sizer!

Boolit Master

But seriously, yes, in a LEE push through sizer. if you cast soft (and I DO), then you can go from .460 to .452 in one shot. If you cast hard, then you can go from .459 to .454 fairly easily in one shot, then .454 to .452 like butter. If you cast WDWW ammended with tin and arsenic, cast hot with a ridiculous toughness and strength to them it helps to put a breaker bar on the press

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    in a lee push through sizer!

Well that works. Thanks. just one die or multiple?

Boolit Master

most of the time I one shot it straight to 452.

Do you think the SAECO 300 grain 45-70 bullet would be to heavy? Come to think of it I have the 350 and the 405 also.

Boolit Master

why would you shoot a 45/70 300 grain bullet in a .452 sabot when the LEE 300 grain bullet for the 454 has awesome meplat and hits like the hammer of Thor when shot at 2000 fps from an inline?

why would you shoot a 45/70 300 grain bullet in a .452 sabot when the LEE 300 grain bullet for the 454 has awesome meplat and hits like the hammer of Thor when shot at 2000 fps from an inline?
    Sorry. My rifle is 50 caliber.

Regarding polypatches, I have used them before and they worked well. I still see them occasionally on evilbay and Gunbroker, and also in old gun shops. The shop near me has 200 of them in .36 cal.

Vendor Sponsor
    [IMG][/IMG]I size my gould boolits in a .457 lyman size die and lube. Then I run them into a .452 lyman size die.
    The lube in the grooves keeps them from deforming better. In a sabot it might not matter as the groove lubes serve no purpose. Just a different method. I have marks on my homemade tang sight for my 50 hawken out to 150 yards with minute of mule deer accuracy.[IMG][/IMG]
    I made the vernier way too tall, but it is what it is.

Vendor Sponsor
    Duke,
    Did you score any NV big game tags this year?

Vendor Sponsor
    WR,
    The gould boolit is approx 330 gr and a hollowpoint. It is also intended to be shot from a rifle rather than a handgun round. Diversity my friend. It may help a little with ballistic coefficient over a large meplat while still having expansion possibilities if cast nice and soft which should be ok with the sabot.

I understand the facination with making a inline style muzzleloader shoot like a cartridge gun using any and all modern developements. Myself I like the history involved with hunting with a muzzleloader ie. sidehammer, open sights maybe even a flinter someday. So using a projectile, even though saboted, with some black powder history is a little more attractive to me. Just goofy I guess.

Boolit Master
    One of my good friends told me it was IMPOSSIBLE to get decent accuracy using a LeeREAL bullet in my Knight rifle. Being a hard head and HAVING the mold, I tried them at 50 and100 yards using Pyrodex and Black. Figuring a 6 inch circle being as large a target a full grown Deer will offer, I plunked 5 or 6 of those REAL's into the target at both ranges.! I guess the friend was using a different gun, the twist in the Knight seems to agree with REAL's. The Saboted or full bore slugs cost about a buck each.!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muzzle loader bullet & sabot securedownload.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	79615

One of the reasons that I chose the Lee 240 gr is because of the round nose. "The round nose is a hunting boolit", waksupi. I am still bewildered of its effectiveness. The Lee 240 gr just gives it a bit more BC for wind and range with a little added weight and bearing surface and will handle larger doses of powder but still able to mushroom at lower velocities. The nose also fits nicely into the knurled cleaning jag on the end of my ramrod. The Lee 310 gr on the left is of WQ scrap for brushy closer range situations where 1/2" to 1" saplings tend to not get seen in low light situations of morning and evening especially with older tired eyes after sitting on the stand for hours peering into brush. The 310 needs a GC though to prevent damage to the sabot. Not as cheap as the PRB but of modest expense for plenty of tweaking load development such as with different powders and sabots.

Though I still think something like the 200 gr TC shockwaves can be a good choice for looong range shooting.
    Last edited by OnHoPr; 08-19-2013 at 02:18 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast