Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MiHec 308 Hollow point Hunting Boolit

Vendor Sponsor

dan
    if you are getting 80% plus success from the 1st rd feeding and problems on the second rd I would try a different mag first
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

New to casting for rifle and need some help setting up my .308.......some of my gas checks don't appear to be fully concentric after I seat them - they look slightly canted. Approx 50% are rejects. The bullet is filled out and the base is flat. I'm using a Saeco lubrisizer with a built in GC seater. Checks were purchased from one of the members here. The checks are copper and look to be 0.31265 O.D. & 0.275.5 I.D. The shank measures 0.28735
    Any guidance is appreciated
    Thanks folks,
    If God had intended us to not eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat."

John Cleese

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Some information:
    I cast a good handfull of these over a campfire due to my propane stove shooting craps. I sized them at 0.312" and let them set about three weeks and started trying loads. I had no luck with Unique, 2400, Rex#2, or 867, then I tried SR4759 and got vertical stinging instead of two inch patterns.... ahhh, something to work with. Increasing the load twice got me a 11/16" three shot group at 100 yards. I loaded about twenty and waited about 9 days, then went and shot another three shot group... 5/8" at 100 yards this time. Now I extended the range to 258 yards on one of my painted round gongs..... three shot into 1-1/8". I got a winner now with more testing to do at longer ranges. [I also tried these in a shorter 16-1/4" Gunsite... two three shot groups at 100 yards about twenty minutes apart at the same aiming point gave 1-3/8" for six shots.] Details: I used one of the new 18" barreled stainless Ruger Gunsite...... Load is a number on the B&M micrometer tube... 19 even ( I think that is around 25 gr. which I will weigh later)..... the boolit is seated to cover the lube groove in military LC brass.... interpolated velocity from book data indicates about 2130 FPS (it will get chrono'd when somebody brings one to test). From expansion tests in the softest clay banks in my dry streams around here indicates it doesn't need to go any faster to work well.

Boolit Grand Master

What has everyone gotten for weights w/ the hollowpoints? I know alloy will play a role. But all of mine have been at 148 grains w/ 96/3/1. With all my other MP molds the weight has been pretty much dead on to what it said it would be.

Boolit Master

147.5-148.5 grains in my 50/50 WW/range scrap alloy.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Grand Master

Ok, that's exactly where mine are at. I was expecting 155 so I thought something might be wrong. If the solids come in at that weight I will be happy. Should get a chance to load some up in 308 and 300 Savage this week.

Boolit Master

If I get all my chores done early enough tomorrow, I plan on sending some downrange myself. I will be using my gunsite scout rifle. Plan on loading them over 20 grains of 2400. I will report back my results.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-08_15-16-26_192.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	83785Took the 308 Ruger gunsite scout carbine out today to play in the 35mph winds. Not the best day for accuracy testing, but you take what you can get. Range was 100 yards. Alloy was 50/50 WW/ Range scrap. (Bhn 13) Lube was 50/50 mix XLOX/JPW tumble lubed (2 coats)Powder charge was 20 grains of alliant 2400. This was the last group of the day, as wind was steadily increasing. The 4th shot you see low was confirmation of a dope change, made after the 3 shot group.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by DanWalker View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-08_15-16-26_192.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	83785Took the 308 Ruger gunsite scout carbine out today to play in the 35mph winds. Not the best day for accuracy testing, but you take what you can get. Range was 100 yards. Alloy was 50/50 WW/ Range scrap. (Bhn 13) Lube was 50/50 mix XLOX/JPW tumble lubed (2 coats)Powder charge was 20 grains of alliant 2400. This was the last group of the day, as wind was steadily increasing. The 4th shot you see low was confirmation of a dope change, made after the 3 shot group.
    For 35 MPH Winds I would call that real good !!

Boolit Master
    Thought I'd have a picture of a recovered boolit after trying the 34 grains of IMR 4895 load out on milkjugs. I lined up six 1 gallon jugs, and the first two were 'sploded. The third split, and numbers 4 & 5 were perforated. The danged boolit bounced off number six to parts unknown. I did find a very small piece of what I assume to be a nose fragment in jug number 3.

At my current milk consumption, it will be another month or more before I can complete the test.

I'm pretty happy that there was not a bunch of fragmentation, and that the decelerated boolit stayed together. BTW, the test was with the hollow point version at 25 yards.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Grand Master

Finally got a chance to go shooting today. Was a perfect October afternoon with a slight breeze and a bit warm at 60. Loaded up a bunch for my Uncle's Savage 99 in 300 Savage. Bullets were crimped, just took the bell out, at the groove. Powder was W748 with a CCI LR primer. Lube was 2500+ and gas checks were .012 aluminum.

Best group out of the fifty rounds I shot. Distance was fifty yards.

The flyer was due to the 44mag being shot right next to me. I couldn't help but flinch every time it was fired. The missing fifth shot was low due to the same reason. Range was busy so I wasn't taking my time and letting the barrel cool down. I'm not a very good shot so no excuses are needed for poor performance.

Target pictured was a 36 grain load. The ones at 39 and 39.5 were starting to tighten up. The closer I got to max, haven't reached it yet, the better the group. 39 grain group was around 2". The 39.5 had two shots through the same hole but overall group was larger. I could see the heat coming off the barrel through the scope so I want to take more time to reshoot them.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 10-29-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

I still have some of this molds.
    If you want one PM me.
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Vendor Sponsor

Dragon
    I would say that's just fine shooting .. a little fine tuning and you will be all set
    Great report with the load details

Vendor Sponsor

Just got finished loading up this bullet for fireforming cases in a 30 herrett
    thought I would share my results ..
    Please keep in mind this is pistol shot at 50 yds
    1st shot is the lowest and out of an oiled barrel
    velocity is somewhere between 1500 to 1600 FPS right now ..
    Bullet is seated to just cover the lube groove .. neck does not touch the first band .. and not crimped..
    plan to chrono after the first 50 have been fireformed..
    I will be loading and trying to ladder up to 2000 FPS
    Attachment 85924
    So far I have tested this bullet with a 308, 300 blackout and a 30 Herrett .. I have gotten very good to great accuracy out of them all.. Pushing the 308 to 1978 FPS so far and no issues
    lastly I want to test in a SKS

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Just got finished loading up this bullet for fireforming cases in a 30 herrett
    thought I would share my results ..
    Please keep in mind this is pistol shot at 50 yds
    1st shot is the lowest and out of an oiled barrel
    velocity is somewhere between 1500 to 1600 FPS right now ..
    Bullet is seated to just cover the lube groove .. neck does not touch the first band .. and not crimped..
    plan to chrono after the first 50 have been fireformed..
    I will be loading and trying to ladder up to 2000 FPS
    Attachment 85924
    So far I have tested this bullet with a 308, 300 blackout and a 30 Herrett .. I have gotten very good to great accuracy out of them all.. Pushing the 308 to 1978 FPS so far and no issues
    lastly I want to test in a SKS
    I never thought about trying it in the Herrett, but now I think I will. Picked up another MiHec mold to try for that one & it's the 311410 MiHec group buy for that & my 32-20 Contender barrel. Thanks for posting your results.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    What has everyone gotten for weights w/ the hollowpoints? I know alloy will play a role. But all of mine have been at 148 grains w/ 96/3/1. With all my other MP molds the weight has been pretty much dead on to what it said it would be.
    My HP's are weighing 147-148 with 98% COWW + 2% HSB
    Solids are 150-151
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 10-31-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Boolit Man
    So I got to go out and shoot some preliminary loads last weekend. I only had 9 loaded with me in my 30-06. I was shooting them propped up on the back of a camp chair at 80 yards.

I called and circled 2 fliers out of 9 shots. I guess I missed one. The 6-shot group was about 2" without the three at the bottom.
    These were HPs, I was thinking about shooting them at deer but had already shot one the weekend.
    I've got a question:
    These were loaded with 19.0 grains of 2400. Shooting them was a treat - much less recoil than a regular 30-06 round. My question is: am I getting enough velocity for whitetail deer hunting? Our FL deer are only about 120-150 lbs. I was shooting into end-grain campfire wood, but only got fragments, no recoverable boolits. Is this a good hunting load? I don't have a chono.
    thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wadestep View Post
    So I got to go out and shoot some preliminary loads last weekend. I only had 9 loaded with me in my 30-06. I was shooting them propped up on the back of a camp chair at 80 yards.

I called and circled 2 fliers out of 9 shots. I guess I missed one. The 6-shot group was about 2" without the three at the bottom.
    These were HPs, I was thinking about shooting them at deer but had already shot one the weekend.
    I've got a question:
    These were loaded with 19.0 grains of 2400. Shooting them was a treat - much less recoil than a regular 30-06 round. My question is: am I getting enough velocity for whitetail deer hunting? Our FL deer are only about 120-150 lbs. I was shooting into end-grain campfire wood, but only got fragments, no recoverable boolits. Is this a good hunting load? I don't have a chono.
    thanks
    MOST DEFINATELY YES!!!! Try to break one or both shoulders with your shot and your tracking job will be VERY short. I clobbered an antelope buck with this boolit in FP form with my 308 and was only running 1 more grain of 2400 than you are. Pronghorn can be way way harder to put down than whitetails. Go "CHOOT' EM!" (and then show us the pics)

Boolit Buddy
    How is every body getting these to cycle through your bolt gun? My Rem 700 308 will only pick up the very first round in the box, but will not pick up or feed the second round. Are you loading them one at a time? Mine are seated to the crimp grove, so COAL is not the issue. Same thing happens with the 311-165 and 311041

Vendor Sponsor

I still have some of this molds. PM me if you want one.
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast