Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get into reloading

Boolit Master
    Robert: PM coming your way...

Boolit Buddy
    Oh yea, sorry about that. I am reloading for a Marlin 336 lever action and an SKS. Im glad you mentioned that, I looked at the classic loader and honestly the only reason I turned away was due to using a hammer. I didn't even think about the full length resizing. That would be an issue with the classic. That is a neat little loader though, looks like it could come in handy out in the field if full length sizing didn't need to be done. According to most of my research, the lever action needs full length sizing. Is this really necessary on every reload or could it be every other reload? Yes, the anniversary kit at Midway is one of the press kits I have been mostly considering.

Boolit Master
    Actually, the hammer this is way over rated. I used a classic loader in the 70's for a .6mm Remington and it put out fantastic ammo. But that was in a bolt gun,

In Remembrance
    I started with the lee hammer style and for a lever action. It worked well for the M99 lever, but not sure about other levers.
    I do have one for a 30/30, I intend to try with use in an old M94, mainly out of curiosity.
    mine kept me shooting through high school and back in the 70's, total cost to get started was probably less than 50 bucks.
    At that time all I had was the lee loader, and just followed the directions. It worked for me.

Boolit Buddy
    I may get one of those at a later date. I am the type that when I get into something I like to learn anything I can. So far, I think I am going to really love all aspects of reloading. And, the members here are great. I can see I am going to really enjoy being a member here.

Boolit Bub
    I suggest a Lee classic cast turret as well. Use it as a single and have your dies set. Use it as a turret and get better numbers. Get another gun and set up another turret with dies. Personally I would not buy the kit includes too much junk. Also watch eBay and this forums swapping and selling. Make sure you get a couple of good manuals and compare each against each other. Also pick up a digital scale. You can pick up additional items as you need em. Lee case trimmers are a good value but slow and clunky. I've used a harbor freight tumbler for years. Loading blocks are invaluable and you can make those. Zip lock bags for lubing cases and qtips for the case mouth. Two manuals minimum oh and did I mention multiple manuals.

I have a Dillon 550 a Rock Chucker and still use the lee turret the most. You can find value in a lot of different equipment but for a press lee classic turret is a great press to start with. I'm done rambling now.
    Ben

Don't forget manuals manuals manuals

Banned

^ What he said

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Benjlan. I plan on having several different books and I am sure I will purchase more. In my research I have learned it is better to have several different books and have been given that advice on multiple occasions. Oh, look there, you even mentioned it once I think.. . The turret press is the one I am looking at. I probably wont be getting the kit as I believe I have acquired a powder measure and a hand primer already along with a few other things. I have read a bit on the Rock Chucker, do you mind if I ask why you prefer the turret over the Rock Chucker? I know nothing about either press so Im curious.

Banned

The turrets are pre-set so you can swap out calibers in a flash and little to no need to adjust dies.

Boolit Buddy
    Ahh, good reason.

Boolit Master
    Part and parcel of handloading is that it starts as a money saving activity because of the recycling of the brass.
    The primary asset is knowledge. With that, you can produce excellent ammo with a relatively small investment.
    One of the primary skills is finding bargains in used equipment and components. Most of us started with very little and added items over a long period of time - meaning before there was an internet...
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    Omg, I couldn't imagine how hard it was to find a deal before the internet. I rely on it for so many things now. Many things done today with the internet was virtually impossible before the internet such as restoring an old car. Man it used to take years sometimes to find that one part and today that same part may be found in a hour or so.

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone know anything about Marlin 336 microgroove barrel? Best I can find, this started in the 50's and my gun was made in 1982 so it has the microgroove. Someone just pointed out to me that this may be a problem if casting my own bullets. Anyone know anything about this?

Boolit Master
    The microgroove is good to go. I have a rifle with mg and it has put 10 boolits through the same hole at 100 yards.

Boolit Buddy
    I jumped the gun on that one. I posted the question before researching on my own. I actually just finished reading a page about it. Basically it said to properly size the barrel and use gas checks. Both of which I will be doing. Thanks for the reply though, its always reassuring hearing it directly from someone who knows.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Texantothecore View Post
    The microgroove is good to go. I have a rifle with mg and it has put 10 boolits through the same hole at 100 yards.
    yep, just be sure to slug the barrel. But start with jacketed bullets first, learn the basics first.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, I will be slugging the barrel. Already have a supply of jacketed for both rifles for learning the basics first.

The classic turret allows super fast caliber changes, as jmortimer pointed out, but it is also much faster than a single stage press. You can crank out several hundred rounds per hour and produces very consistent results. The Lee 150 grain mold makes a great plinking boolit for the 336.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisR View Post
    But start with jacketed bullets first, learn the basics first.
    Why?

There is ample data for cast boolits in 30-30. Or are you suggesting learning to reload first, cast projectiles second? I agree with that, for certain.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Why?

There is ample data for cast boolits in 30-30. Or are you suggesting learning to reload first, cast projectiles second? I agree with that, for certain.

I think that is what he meant. That's the way I took it anyway, and is the way I plan to learn.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast