Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Guns as art work

Guns as art work

Thought I would see how this works out. Post some pictures of guns you think truly qualify as art work. Here's a few to start things off.

Attachment 77105
    Attachment 77106
    Attachment 77107
    Attachment 77108
    Attachment 77109
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

The double aint bad. The rest are just gaudy in my humble opinion. I am amazed at such workmanship but to me guns are not the place for such trappings.
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mroliver77 View Post
    The double aint bad. The rest are just gaudy in my humble opinion. I am amazed at such workmanship but to me guns are not the place for such trappings.
    J
    +1 Agreed
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Man

A little on the loud side... But I think the last one (the 1911 could grow on me)...

I DO like a bit of engraving.... (can't afford anthing like that) do I do like it!

Boolit Master
    Second from last, awesome ingraving! I'll trade you my X wife for it! I have always been facinated by gentlemen capable of producing such a work of art. Very sorry it is out of my league financially.

Not a fan of the grips, but the last 1911 is for me.
    do unto others................

Boolit Grand Master
    People have been making art out of weapons since the beginning of weapons.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I believe that "form follows function", so any of the classics, even unadorned, appeal to me, i.e. Model 1885 Winchester high and low, the old doubles like Ithaca, LC Smith and the Browning superposed, Colt model 1911, S&W K-38- well, most all of the oldies!
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master

Save the artsy, fartsy stuff for canvas.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

HECK, All I wanted to do was see some pretty guns. Even if you don't own them. Needless to say I don't own any of the ones I pictured.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Just look at the stuff Hamilton Bowen builds. To me, they are the epitome of the gun makers art. Classic lines, understated adornments, PERFECTLY executed mixes of style and functionality. Had this man chosen a different medium, the art world would be singing his praises, and the gun world would be the lesser for his absence.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Buddy

My favorite comment about engraving was Elmer Keith's, who said that he liked an engraved handgun because it helped hide the scratches. I'm pretty sure he was serious.

Boolit Grand Master

I enjoy seeing the engraved firearms when done properly the eye just gets lost in the patterns and swirls. A true work of art when done properly. I also belive like a matte finish scratches stand out more on that back ground. ESpecially if its feathered or shaded. A scratch is much harder to repair also. I also like the plain flowing lines of a well executed desighn. The lines of a 1911 are legendary same with the early model 70 feather wieghts. A professional blueing or case hardening is also a thing of beauty. The colors of a high grade walnut stock are also truly amazing. When it all comes together in the same rifle there is beauty form and function all in one package.

Beautiful, yes. But myself... I'd rather have 4-5 working guns for the prices of those art pieces (and I'm sure my comparison is modest lol).

Boolit Master
    Here are a couple I would like to own.

and

Pretty sure I'd be happy with any of them.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master

I like an engraved gun but sometimes a simple design well executed and finished is a thing of beauty. I wish my photos would do this old Uberti 1858 Remington clone justice. Beautiful, flowing lines. Simple functionality and a beautiful polish/blue job.
    And yes, my carry guns are ugly as sin but they know I love them too!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1858 Remmy 001.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	77889
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quite a few years ago representatives from Perazzi were in Pasadena Ca as guests of Pachmayer to sell and take orders for "investment grade" guns ie safe queens. Since their starting prices were more than my annual salary at the time I did not go see them. I am sure they were very pretty. I have seen S & W traveling exhibit. One case is entitle the acme of the engravers' art. At least as far as pistols I believe it is.

Boolit Master

I really enjoy looking at finely engraved firearms but I have not had the scratch to be able to justify the cost. So most of my guns are working guns so to speak. I do have an old drilling that is engraved very well but I do shoot it on occasion. I was at a trade show years ago and the Perazzi folks were there and I was able to hold one of their exhibition guns. What a piece of art. The wood on it was the best piece of walnut I have ever seen on anything and it still did not detract from the beauty of the engraving on the shotgun.

gmsharps

This is more what I had in mind when I started this thread. Pictures of firearms you believe qualify as "Fine Art".

One I wish I could have afforded WAAAAAY back when, Was one of the hand made muskets from the gunsmith in Williamsburg, Va. Back in 1974 the long gun was $1000.00. This was truly a beautiful Gun.

Boolit Master

My parents back in the 60's went to the home of Orville J. Kuhl who was the master engraver for I believe Colt firearms in the early part of last century. At the time, Orville was engraving wildlife scenes on anodized aircraft aluminum. I have never found any references towards him but still have several of the engravings. These pictures were taped to the back of several of the engravings.

Anyone with any information on him please feel free to write.

Attachment 77897

Attachment 77898

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell