Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Is physics class this fun

Boolit Master

Is physics class this fun

AK-47 fired underwater is frighteningly beautiful

Gun fanatic or peacenik, you’ve got to admit that this video showing exactly what’s happening when you shoot an AK-47 underwater is insanely cool. Listen up as Destin fires off the weapon in a swimming pool in Alabama and proceeds to impart all sorts of higher knowledge while we soak up the ultra-slow-mo action. Put together for his SmarterEveryDay YouTube channel with help from the Slow Mo Guys, this is where you’ll learn all about the Rayleigh-Plesset equation, Bernoulli's principle and sonoluminescence. If physics class had been this much fun, we’d all have become science nerds.

http://now.msn.com/ak-47-fired-under...hanics-of-guns

Boolit Master
    Cool! no wonder they are nerds.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

Tres Cool! Thanks for showing ...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

More info on "new bullet"
    @: http://www.army.mil/article/56157/
    EW

Boolit Master

OK Experts.

If I calculate correctly a 16" 7.62mm barrel will contain a hair over 300 grains of water.

What would happen if you put 300 grains of mud, paper, polyester, chewing gum, ( fill in the blank here ) in that barrel, directly in front of the chamber, and fired it?
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Very neat, I was surprised how quickly the bullet tumbled!
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    OK Experts.

If I calculate correctly a 16" 7.62mm barrel will contain a hair over 300 grains of water.

What would happen if you put 300 grains of mud, paper, polyester, chewing gum, ( fill in the blank here ) in that barrel, directly in front of the chamber, and fired it?
    I have wondered about that for years.

Back to "The green Beret movie where you saw the swimmers just com[ng out of the water with water pouring out of the bbl.

Why boesn't the bbl split like a banana peal?
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post

Why boesn't the bbl split like a banana peal?
    The reason the barrel doesn't split or the action come apart with the AK under water is because all things are equal. The amount of resistance by the water inside the barrel is equal to the amount of resistance of the water on the outside. Fluid dynamics is the same be it water or air. Only when the dynamics of the equation are thrown out of balance do we get chaos. Fill the barrel with water, fire it in the dry air and you have devastation, simply because the resistance inside the barrel is far greater than the resistance on the action.

You could do the same experiment in something as dense as mercury and the results would be the same as long as the entire weapon was submerged in the fluid. Resistance is resistance be it air, water, or oil. It just has to all be equal when added into the equation.

Best wishes

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Joe is correct. However, do NOT stick the muzzle under water and the fire as a water test, like was done in the movie with the whole gun under water. Any such "media" gradient perfects the setup for a SEE condition. Only a high tolerance revolter might make it through the ordeal but nothing else will. For sure!!! ... felix

Just remembered. My Brother, John, went quail hunting with my dad and crossed over a fence breaking all rules. He carried the shotgun with muzzle down and unknowingly picked up some snow. It was a cold day and no snow was melting. A covey was kicked up in front of pointer dogs. Both barrels came home bulged. I took the double barrel back to KC with me to Simmons in Olathe KS who at that time worked on restorations. Yes, my son has the 20 gauge now with perfect barrels. The LC Smith was purchased in 1920 for my dad. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 07-25-2013 at 07:16 PM.
    felix